• Wheatley
    Many people complain that they are invisible and nobody pays them any attention. I personally don't think there's anything essentially wrong about being invisible. I know it's hard to suppress our innate desire to be noticed and respected in society, but if you can pull it off and become truly invisible to society, think of all the benefits that you might acquire.

Invisibility is peaceful: When you aren't noticed, nobody bothers you, not like a celebrity who is barraged by the paparazzi every second of the day.

Invisibility is freeing: If nobody notices you, and nobody cares about you, then no one will judge you. You have tremendous freedom in how you can act.

Invisibility is safe: No one sees you, no one can intentionally harm you. Simple.

I don't know about you, but I choose to be invisible.
  • Frank Apisa
    I'm invisible.

I am an 83 year old, white male in America. Other older, white males talk to me as though I am invisible, because they assume every older, white male must be an American conservative.

I am not.

It reminds me of an essay I read many years ago. It was by an American working in Saudi Arabia...a decidedly non-Arab looking American who could speak and understand Arabic as well as a Saudi. In restaurants and tea houses...people said things around him in Arabic that were completely unguarded.

My conservative friends sorta do the same.
  • Wheatley
    I'm invisibleFrank Apisa
    Me too, and so is this thread. :rofl:
  • TheMadFool
    Being invisible is definitely better than attracting the wrong kind of attention. Trust me on this one. However, as you said, people seem to have a felt need for a social role - to be valued, respected, loved, etc. In other words, some amount of visibility is desirable. The sweet spot is between a celebrity hounded by paparazzi and a nonentity who no one cares about. It's a difficult balance don't you think?
  • Wheatley
    In other words, some amount of visibility is desirable. The sweet spot is between a celebrity hounded by paparazzi and a nonentity who no one cares about. It's a difficult balance don't you think?TheMadFool
    Nah, I want to be invisible through and through. But just because I want remain invisible it doesn't mean I can't put on a "mask" and pretend to be someone I'm not. My real me will be invisible, but my fake me will be as visible as I desire. Kinda like spider man.
  • TheMadFool
    Nah. But just because I want remain invisible it doesn't mean I can't put on a "mask" and pretend to be someone I'm not. My real me will be invisible, and my fake me will be as visible as I desire. Kinda like spider manWheatley

The mask people put on is at another level of social dynamics. Whatever mask you don you still want to, with the mask on, find that sweet spot between the paparazzi and the back alley. Both Spiderman and Peter Parker wouldn't want too much or too less of recognition/publicity.
  • Wheatley
    Whatever mask you don you still want to, with the mask on, find that sweet spot between the paparazzi and the back alley.TheMadFool
    Fine with me. But when the mask comes off, when I no longer need to play a role at that moment, I'll be the worlds biggest recluse that I am; Invisible.
  • BC
    it doesn't mean I can't put on a "mask" and pretend to be someone I'm not. My real me will be invisible, and my fake me will be as visible as I desire. Kinda like spider manWheatley

The trouble with using masks too often is that one can get confused about who one really is. That kind of invisibility isn't a good thing.
  • Wheatley
    The trouble with using masks too often is that one can get confused about who one really is.Bitter Crank
    I don't think so because I know who I am. I am a man without an identity; I don't belong to any group, nor denomination. I'm on my own, and it is necessary for me to play roles to get by in life. Or perhaps I just need to wait for my anti-psychotics to kick in.
  • TheMadFool
    Fine with me. But when the mask comes off, when I no longer need to play a role at that moment, I'll be the worlds biggest recluse that I am; Invisible.Wheatley

Good for you. I've always wondered at the expression "shed light on" which to me sounds like the way it's probably meant; as leading to illuminating experience, discoveries, new insights, and so on, all very nice to hear and imagine. However, as one of those persons who is completely alien to the concept of cleanliness, I feel very uncomfortable switching on the lights in my filthy room. Perhaps humanity shouldn't be "shedding light on" things in the world and is better off "putting out the lights" lest we see the filth we're wallowing in. Just a thought. Go off into the jungle, find a nice cave and enjoy your, probably hard-won, solitude. There's nothing like being alone when all you can have as company are...
  • Wheatley
    . I've always wondered at the expression "shed light on" which to me sounds like the way it's probably meant; as leading to illuminating experience, discoveries, new insights, and so on, all very nice to hear and imagine.TheMadFool
    That's funny because my name is Meir, which means "one who shines" in Hebrew.

However, as one of those persons who is completely alien to the concept of cleanliness, I feel very uncomfortable switching on the lights in my filthy room.TheMadFool
    I also struggle with cleanliness. When my room gets really messy, it fucks with my mind, and that's when I start requesting help to clean it. I don't know why it always gets messy, probably because I live by the philosophy of getting through life with the least amount of effort. :wink:

I feel very uncomfortable switching on the lights in my filthy room. Perhaps humanity shouldn't be "shedding light on" things in the world and is better off "putting out the lights" lest we see the filth we're wallowing in. Just a thought.TheMadFool
    Clean your room -- Jordan Peterson

Go off into the jungle, find a nice cave and enjoy your, probably hard-won, solitude. There's nothing like being alone when all you can have as company are...TheMadFool
    I might do that. :cool:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.