• James Riley
    There it is, clear as day.AJJ

I said if YOU had fear you'd get the shot. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it?

You said you had fear but won't get the shot. I didn't say anything about me. I'm not afraid of the virus or the shot. You aren't either. You aren't afraid of the shot. Your just a POS.
  • AJJ
    I said if YOU had fear you'd get the shot.James Riley

There isn’t anything more to say about it.
  • James Riley
    There isn’t anything more to say about it.AJJ

Sure there is. You can admit you don't fear the virus or the shot. You aren't smart enough to know better than the CDC, et al. You just don't like the people who are politely asking you to step up. Go ahead, you'll feel better. It will be cathartic.
  • AJJ
    I want to trade your will to spread your nasty, filthy germs with my will to not let you.

I'm not afraid of the virus and my language is not evidence of fear.James Riley

You're not seeing fear from those of my persuasion.James Riley

If you had fear you'd get the shot.James Riley

I said if YOU had fear you'd get the shot.James Riley

I'm not afraid of the virus or the shot.James Riley
  • Janus
    how could most of the vulnerable be already dead? — Janus

If the vulnerable constituted 3% of the population, of course. Is there something you're having trouble with in that equation?
    Isaac

If only 3% of the population have so far been infected and out of that 3% around 2% (the vulnerable) have died then how could it possibly be the case that most of the vulnerable are already dead? If the vulnerable are about 2% of the total population and only about 3% of the total population have been infected then we could expect perhaps 33 times the current death toll if we let it rip. And that doesn't account for the possibility that more virulent strains might arise.
  • James Riley
    I want to trade your will to spread your nasty, filthy germs with my will to not let you. I'm not afraid of the virus and my language is not evidence of fear. You're not seeing fear from those of my persuasion. If you had fear you'd get the shot. I said if YOU had fear you'd get the shot. I'm not afraid of the virus or the shot.AJJ

I stand by all of that. You said you were afraid of the shot. It's you that said you are afraid, not me. I got the shot. I got it for people, because I was asked to step up for others You aren't smart enough to be afraid of the virus or the shot. You are just inconsiderate, disrespectful and selfish, aka a POS.

You can admit you don't fear the virus or the shot. You aren't smart enough to know better than the CDC, et al. You just don't like the people who are politely asking you to step up. Go ahead, you'll feel better. It will be cathartic.
  • James Riley
    This guy sums it up. It's not about the virus or the shot.

243141443_1238720856632952_7175179074061068455_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=uvA0CRBqzFUAX9TX_P3&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=97b270e7f36454e82c828ba11542dd52&oe=6153AD82
  • Mikie
    Idaho morgues are running out of space for bodies as covid-19 deaths mount

https://apple.news/AZ9o4n8diRbO3WmWoxqjMdQ

Nothing to see here.
  • James Riley

I spent some time last night thinking about our exchange and how I might better explain my feelings to someone who apparently has no sense of civics and can't wrap their head around the idea that someone might want to care about others. It reminded me of my youth and the men I looked up to.

I didn’t join the armed forces for any high ideals, but I did know older men who joined during WWII. And they did join with higher ideals. They were the men I learned from. They did not join because they were afraid of Nazis or Imperialist. They joined to kill Nazis and Imperialists. And they did it for others, not for themselves.

Now, once the bullets started flying, they acknowledged fear. They overcame it. But before that, in the joining, the training, they weren’t afraid of the enemy. They wanted to engage and kill the enemy.

Likewise for me, with Covid. I don’t fear Covid or the vaccine. Now, if I actually got Covid, or suffered a side affect from the vaccine, then there would be some fear. I would overcome it. But fear of Covid is not the reason I got the vaccine. I got it to protect others. My loved ones and friends. And because I was asked by people I trust more than the enemy.

I’m more afraid of stupid people than I am of Covid. Stupid people provide aid and comfort to the enemy; an enemy that could kill my loved ones and friends. The enemy is a known quantity. We can deal with it. But my own fellow humans that would aid and abet a virus, well, that's some scary shit right there.
  • AJJ

I think narrating this situation as if it’s a war is a way for frightened people to consider themselves brave.
  • AJJ

If you like I’ll at least consider that my characterisation of you is wrong if you do me the same favour.
  • James Riley
    I think narrating this situation as if it’s a war is a way for frightened people to consider themselves brave.AJJ

I think you are wrong. I'm no fan of Trump but when he said he was a war-time President in a war against an invisible enemy, I think he had a point. After all, people have been calling this a "pandemic" and a pandemic is no normal disease situation. In fact, I think we even invoked some war-footing statutes that allowed the President to order private sector industries to start cranking out materials to aid in the fight. Whether or not he did a good job of it is another question.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with propaganda, but narrating this situation as a war is more likely to generate the fear you talk about, than it is to get people feeling brave. Perhaps that is why you say you are so afraid. Be brave, my little AJJ. Stand up and fight the virus! If you really are afraid (which I don't think you are; for if you were truly afraid, you would take the vax because the virus poses a much greater threat than the vaccine), then you overcoming your fear would truly make you brave. Guys like me aren't overcoming fear. You would be and that is the greatest courage.
  • James Riley
    If you like I’ll at least consider that my characterisation of you is wrong if you do me the same favour.AJJ

I'm about as concerned with your characterization of me as I am of the virus. I'm fearful instead of your characterization of yourself and the threat it poses to others. You are either in denial and feigning fear, or you are lying. I think the latter. What you think of me is of no moment. If you like, I will tell the whole world that I cower under my bed all day in fear of Covid. LOL! That would be a lie, of course, but if it would get you to admit you don't want the vax because you are being a political, petulant, obstinate little child, then it would be worth it.
  • AJJ

The virus poses me no greater risk than driving my car does (I expect it’s even less). If I bought into the war analogy it would be easy to feel brave against such a meagre threat.
  • James Riley
    The virus poses me no greater risk than driving my car does (I expect it’s even less).AJJ

Do you wear a seat belt?

If I bought into the war analogy it would be easy to feel brave against such a meagre threat.AJJ

You just owned yourself. If it's not a war and not a threat, then it would be easy to be brave against such a meager threat. Be brave my little AJJ! Take the vax for your fellow man, not for yourself.
  • AJJ

You’re not making sense.

Yes, I wear a seatbelt.
  • James Riley
    Yes, I wear a seatbelt.AJJ

That's all the vax is; a seat belt.

And guess what? Seat belts, like helmets, aren't solely mandated because society cares about you. It's also to keep insurance premiums down, protecting others from the foolish risk-taking that you think affects only you.
  • AJJ

Seatbelts don’t have side-effects.
  • James Riley
    Seatbelts don’t have side-effects.AJJ

The hell they don't. They interfere with my personal freedom and, like helmets, they are more inclined to leave you a vegetable than dead.

But never mind that. If we wanted to take a deep dive into their efficacy, we could. We could even lobby for changes in the law. But in the meantime, we wear them because it's the law. If people don't vax, it may very well become the law. And then we'll hear the real whining start.

Regardless, it has been proven, scientifically, that the threats of the vax are miniscule compared to Covid and the clogging of beds that could be used by others. Hell, the side affects of the flu vax, ibuporfin, a McDonald's Big Mac, booze, hot dogs, etc. are greater. Don't be a pussy. Be brave my little AJJ. You might get a fever, some chills, a sore arm. But it will pass. I got all that. Others I know suffered worse. But they did it. Watch the needle go into your arm, embrace the suck! Enjoy the horrendous risk you are taking against the odds in a cold cruel world. You are a hero, AJJ! Roll the dice! Look death in the face and say "GIVE ME THE VAX! I regret that I have but one pin prick to give for my fellow man!"
  • jorndoe
    WuhanMondoR

raising serious questions about their impartialityLancet scientists who trashed Covid leak theory 'have links to Wuhan lab'

What if we, for the sake of argument, replace that ↑ quote with something like "which gave them a unique insight into the lab"?
    So, starting out with suggesting they're honest, whereas the article starts out with suggesting they're dishonest, sort of like "innocent until proven guilty" I suppose.
    Don't know what those scientists have said ("impartiality"), but the Sun article is quite circumstantial, conducive to one-sided speculation, insufficient to draw any conclusions.
    That said, of course the Wuhan lab leak theory remains on the table, just not with the added thrust you suggest .
  • James Riley
    What if we, for the sake of argument, replace that ↑ quote with something like "which gave them a unique insight into the lab"?jorndoe

:100: Awesome. Words matter. If you say "we can and they can't" it has a whole 'nothing meaning than to say "we must and they don't have to." It would be great if folks could run around doing what you just did, showing how language matters. I wish I was better at it.
  • jorndoe
    Reading this, isn't there a chance that some traditional vaccine, followed later by an mRNA vaccine, could give extra immunity?

New Studies Find Evidence Of 'Superhuman' Immunity To COVID-19 In Some Individuals (Sep 7, 2021)

Haven't come across much on this line of research. Then again, the world is noisy.
  • TheMadFool
    Reading this, isn't there a chance that some traditional vaccine, followed later by an mRNA vaccine, could give extra immunity?jorndoe

We might fall between two stools or perhaps have the best of both worlds.
  • jorndoe
    Seems rather uncharitable. Why would you do that?Isaac

Spidey sense? But you're right, just assuming so was uncharitable.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    You just don't like the people who are politely asking you to step up.James Riley

If these people happen to be king and country, I will admit to disliking them.
  • jorndoe
    Apropos

double standardsjorndoe

or hypocrisy ...

What I find especially disingenuous about the vaccine deniers is their arrogance at disbelieving immunology and other medical experts. Yet, if their child was sick or they themselves needed emergency medical treatment, how quickly would they do exactly what those same experts told them to do?Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  • James Riley
    If these people happen to be king and country, I will admit to disliking them.Merkwurdichliebe

If it were a king, he might not ask. Hell, you can even dislike elected officials relying on experts but at least they are just asking politely. Actually, they are near begging.
  • Mikie
    You are either in denial and feigning fear, or you are lying. I think the latter.James Riley

Or just an imbecile. Which is much more likely, given the evidence.
  • James Riley
    Or just an imbecile. Which is much more likely, given the evidence.Xtrix

:100:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.