• Benkei
    OK. I was afraid it was something as trivial as that. Breathing proves we're alive too. And everyone does it, so neither are a privilege but we all rather breathe freely than cough.

You're privileged when you have a right or some other benefit that most others don't.
  • tim wood
    psychological freedom at its maximum, is never troubled by external content of any kind, whether evidential or soundly inferential.Merkwurdichliebe
    Nothing here; no one home.
  • jorndoe
    Which is it; Wide spread or in labs?Book273

This isn't an "exclusive or" type thing.

not an observational or anecdotal study, something peer reviewed and robust, that I could use in my practiceBook273

But it is observed. Like that party over there turned out a spreading-event, that ferry over there carrying passengers daily while observing protocols isn't, whichever. Why would you want to dismiss observations, when we're after the truth of the matter, and safety?

Not the kind of thing you'd typically find with carefully constructed (large scale, controlled) experiments reported in Nature magazine. The world at large is an inadvertent "experiment" here. And so we best learn, of which observing is a means.

The minor inconvenience of safety protocols (and visor perhaps) taken together with observations and "safety first" makes them reasonable, irrespective of your demands.

If you're an accredited medical professional, then ... nevermind. I call contrarian bollocks. Maybe you ought be tagged a public risk?
  • frank
    Well, I am pretty serious about the cause. Plus elevator buttons look so delicious when they glow. :yum:Merkwurdichliebe

"I reget that I can only get covid-19 once a year.". -- devoted human rights activist
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    For someone with so much supposed psychological freedom, you seem rather constrained by your own cultural trope.

But I guess whatever gets you a nanosecond of attention.
    apokrisis

I never claimed to have so much psychological freedom. I do claim to have a little.

But I'll take the attention anyway :kiss:
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    "I reget that I can only get covid-19 once a year.". -- devoted human rights activistfrank

If only we could get it multiple times, then I could really demonstrate!
  • frank
    If only we could get it multiple times, then I could really demonstrate!Merkwurdichliebe

You can get it multiple times. I don't think that happens very often tho.
  • Baden
    Tory press making no secret of their priorities.
    o0ty8epd286p906m.jpg
  • Book273
    observation: my boss is a woman, my friend's boss is a woman. Conclusion: all bosses are women.

I see a problem with observational studies. Too much bias. I want to see result "A". Shockingly, my observational study reveals result "A". I am a hero. Yay me. Of course, as I disregarding everything that did not support "A" as a result...the outcome was predetermined. So not a hero, but full of shit. However if no one looks at my process...Yay, I am a hero.
  • Book273
    Anecdotal study:

12 people wore masks everywhere and after 2 weeks were found to not have T.B
    Conclusion: generalized mask wearing prevents T.B

Not mentioned information: there were no cases of T.B in the region of the study group, ergo, there was no chance to catch T.B regardless of what they wore or did.

Do a real study, send me results. I want to be given actual data supporting your position. Then I will shut the hell up and wear a mask. Until then, unless you have data, you have an opinion, as do I. I know what mine is based on but can not speak to yours.
  • apokrisis
    Then I will shut the hell up and wear a mask.Book273

Another child controlled by a meme. This ain't about medical science but about sociology.
  • Book273
    It certainly isn't based on reason. outside of that...funsies?
  • Leghorn
    Merky, I have a couple questions to ask you based on previous statements you’ve made...

You say, “psychological freedom at its maximum, is never troubled by external content of any kind, whether evidential or soundly inferential”. Does therefore the apparent fact that “the sun also rises” every morning, inferred from it having so risen from antiquity, constrain in no way the free soul to accept this as a fact shared with all other souls, whether free or enslaved, that have ever existed? Does 1+1 not equal 2? In other words, is there nothing obviously true to all ppl that may be inferred, and if not, where may we draw a line, and by what rationale, b/w what is obviously true, and what is debatably so?

Secondly, you say, “I have no desire to recruit others into my morality...So when I express my ethical opinion...I am not trying to convince you of anything, rather, I am just expressing my opinion.” But it is difficult for us to believe that a human being would exert such time and energy in something that he would not hope to reap some reward from. Furthermore, it is clear that you possess a certain weltanschauung that you believe is true, concerning the “cage”, and of whose veracity you would like to convince others...why else would you spend so much time describing it to us?
  • Leghorn
    In other words, isn’t it true that your image of the “cage”, of a place where all of us are confined from birth until self-liberated, describes a universal condition for all individuals? Why would you suggest then that it applies only to you? What you do by describing it to us shows both that you believe it is universal, and that we ought to understand it.
  • Book273
    I absolutely reject the notion that any person is equal. The only equality I acknowledge between individuals is that each one is equally unequal.Merkwurdichliebe

Amen Brother. That captures it succinctly.

Just a stellar post in its entirety.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    In the face of a virus we don't understand, with unknown long-term effects, and a mortality and contagion rate apparently much higher than the seasonal flu, I would say it's only a reasonable precaution to ask (or even to mandate if there is a lot of virus in the community) people to wear masks.Janus

I can only respectfully disagree. For me, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, but for me, wearing masks as prescribed is a little too close to wearing tinfoil hats to block out all the radiowaves penetrating your skull.

In fact, I can make a compelling argument for why governments should mandate tinfoil hats. Want to hear? Ok.

The brain damage caused by radio waves can cause psychosis and violent tendencies, in individuals. And it may negatively affect the mental development of children.

Of course, I don't believe any of this, but it is a bit comical for me, and it feels a lot like the rationale for mask wearing, which I also do not believe.

You don't have to have already had an accident to be required to wear a seat-belt, or indeed obey the general road rules. Personally I think it has nothing to do with cowardice, just regard for your own life and the lives of others and the courage to forebear a little inconvenience.Janus

I think it is a mob frenzy happening, and one of its active ingredients is fear. It is a fear of something highly unknown, compounded by a couple other existential unknowns. I can't willingly accept such a pervasive and irritating mandate based on such shoddy evidence. After all, minor inconvienice is tyranny's abusive stepfather.

Yours Always, Merkwurdy
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    OK. I was afraid it was something as trivial as that. Breathing proves we're alive too. And everyone does it, so neither are a privilege but we all rather breathe freely than cough.

You're privileged when you have a right or some other benefit that most others don't.
    Benkei

Calm down!!! Don't be afraid of triviality, it will kill your sense of humor, it is an essential component of comedy. I coughy freely, and I consider that a privilege too. Don't take the notion of privilege too seriously, most privileges are completely trivial.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Nothing here; no one home.tim wood

HELLO!!!! Who's out there?!?!?!

(My eyes aren't that useful anymore)
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    You can get it multiple times. I don't think that happens very often tho.frank

Well that's disappointing. So much for my narrative. Darn it, I've been preparing it for months now.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Another child controlled by a meme. This ain't about medical science but about sociology.
    11h
    apokrisis

Says the god of the dialectical method: A P O K R I S is?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Do a real study, send me results. I want to be given actual data supporting your position.Book273

I got results and data supporting my position, and you are welcome to them anytime.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

Well that will save us for sure!
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    You say, “psychological freedom at its maximum, is never troubled by external content of any kind, whether evidential or soundly inferential”. Does therefore the apparent fact that “the sun also rises” every morning, inferred from it having so risen from antiquity, constrain in no way the free soul to accept this as a fact shared with all other souls, whether free or enslaved, that have ever existed?Todd Martin

Awesome! I love when someone wants to philosophize for real.

I see no difference in the constraining power of either analytic or synthetic reasoning, beyond the fact that one is expansive, and the other eliminative.

So to answer your question, the free soul is in no way constrained to behave a particular way, although he would be most benefited to behave according to the rules of the game to which he is subject to, whether he is GOD incarnate, or not.

M9re...
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Does 1+1 not equal 2? In other words, is there nothing obviously true to all ppl that may be inferred, and if not, where may we draw a line, and by what rationale, b/w what is obviously true, and what is debatably so?Todd Martin

Well, the notion of absolute truth is a bit like the idea of God. It requires a commitment from the believer. Beyond that, I can see no undeniable evidence of methodologies which bring us all closer to reality in itself. And until then, I see very few refusing to accept the refuse. I call LAME!!!!!
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Secondly, you say, “I have no desire to recruit others into my morality...So when I express my ethical opinion...I am not trying to convince you of anything, rather, I am just expressing my opinion.” But it is difficult for us to believe that a human being would exert such time and energy in something that he would not hope to reap some reward from. Furthermore, it is clear that you possess a certain weltanschauung that you believe is true, concerning the “cage”, and of whose veracity you would like to convince others...why else would you spend so much time describing it to us?Todd Martin

Because I'm bored. But more likely, because I know what's up, much better than you. (Like ). I come to deliver the message of insanity to the wise ones that know all, and hope that all the unknowing ones might awaken....
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    we're still talking about psychological freedom...right?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    In other words, isn’t it true that your image of the “cage”, of a place where all of us are confined from birth until self-liberated, describes a universal condition for all individuals? Why would you suggest then that it applies only to you? What you do by describing it to us shows both that you believe it is universal, and that we ought to understand it.Todd Martin

I don't care for other words. Please let me give you my words directly. The psychological condition of incarceration only applies to me because I am the only one who can free himself. I cannot free you, only you can free you.

So as much as it applies to my particular situation, it is a universal condition for all. But what is of utmost importance is the particular circumstance for the individual within the constraints of the universal. The universal becomes something that applies to all, universally, but to me, it applies in a very particular relation, one of subjectivity. It requires a particular solution to its particular problem.

If you know what "me" means, you can understand what I'm saying.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

Thanks. I totally dig what you have to say. Keep it up, but don't get banned. :cool:
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    really it's flattering :smile:
  • frank
    Well that's disappointing. So much for my narrative. Darn it, I've been preparing it for months now.Merkwurdichliebe

Yes. Life is hard for the protestor. Lenin had to ride a train all the way across europe to get to Russia in time to kill the czar. They say he was in bad mood when he got home.

Are you going to get vaccinated?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.