• ssu
    You just call me part of the ignorant sheeple, truther.
  • Benkei
    So what does it say about the Netherlands we can set up an entire production line for ICU-ventilators in about 2 to 3 weeks but we cannot produce our own ffp2 face masks in the same time?
  • ssu
    That Ricardo was right about the specialization of countries, but the economic theory didn't take into account what happens when a pandemic happens?
  • Changeling
    perhaps you should move to China
  • frank
    Currently used vaccines use degraded viruses to stimulate immunity. Creating this type of vaccine takes years.

There's a new idea for a vaccine called the RNA vaccine. RNA is injected that can produce proteins that mimic parts of the target virus, like the spikes on a coronavirus. Those spikes subsequently produce immunity. This kind of vaccine is quick to make, but it's not known if it will work, and be safe for everyone. Some people might not be able to take it.

To extend its short shelf-life, on-line gamers have been employed to find stable shapes for the RNA.
  • frank
    Plus if RNA vaccines work, this will be the answer to future pandemics.
  • Benkei
    Or you can try synthesized antiviral proteins that react with a virus causing it to replicate harmlessly or disrupt the rate of replication. This gives the body time to recover on its own. And if I'm not mistaken, this is what the AIDS medicines are.
  • Streetlight

Oh geee what a surrprrrisseee who could have seen this coming!
  • fdrake

Hey but the stock prices are returning to above their enforced minimum! The markets are more liquid, people are spending money, things will return to normal soon.

Now I need a shower.

Edit: I should've added; it's not the government's fault if you don't want to go out and spend!
  • NOS4A2

Governments have created a good little racket. Shut down the economy, eliminate any means for citizens to provide for themselves, then act as the solution to their economic woes.
  • fdrake

They're evidently not doing a very good job at being a solution.
  • Punshhh
    They're evidently not doing a very good job at being a solution.
    But they have to look incompetent at this point, otherwise people will Rumble them. They will reveal the solution soon, any minute now.
  • Chester
    I have to say that I get the feeling that this Covid 19 virus is real ( though the risks are overblown) but masks an underlying scam. I'm not sure what the scam is , but I've read that the economy was about to tank this year in any case...so maybe the two are connected.
  • Chester
    Around 30,000 people are said to have died with/of covid 19 in the UK so far...those numbers are probably inflated. In 2014/15 28,000 people died in the UK from flu.
  • Michael
    I have to say that I get the feeling that this Covid 19 virus is real ( though the risks are overblown) but masks an underlying scam. I'm not sure what the scam is , but I've read that the economy was about to tank this year in any case...so maybe the two are connected.Chester

Conspiracy theories are a conspiracy by the tinfoil industry.

Around 30,000 people are said to have died with/of covid 19 in the UK so far...those numbers are probably inflated. In 2014/15 28,000 people died in the UK from flu.Chester

Is there supposed to be some connection between these two statements? Are you saying that the number of COVID-19 deaths is probably inflated because the number of people who died from the flu is less? That's a non sequitur. COVID-19 is more deadly than the flu. That's why there are more deaths.
  • Chester
    You can argue that people like me are susceptible to conspiracy theories...but I see it in terms of not automatically accepting what I'm being told by authorities. On the other hand people who dish out the "tinfoil" insult tend to be very keen to believe authority.

As for my example of deaths in the UK recently , that is for perspective purposes. This disease is dangerous for some of those that get it...but it's hardly the black death.This lock down looks like a massive over reaction, Sweden seems to indicate that.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not saying that this is a conspiracy, just that it could be, I'm open minded.
  • ztaziz
    More people are getting it around my facebook which is strange, seeing it close.

I'd accept it as moving fast through comms training over nothing. All this break was good.

You are dangerous people.
  • Punshhh
    I have to say that I get the feeling that this Covid 19 virus is real ( though the risks are overblown) but masks an underlying scam. I'm not sure what the scam is , but I've read that the economy was about to tank this year in any case...so maybe the two are connected.
    Yes, the economy was going to tank because of Brexit. Now they can blame it on Covid, so they will push for the hardest Brexit possible and head in the direction of a Singapore on Thames. So they can line their pockets and build their mansions in the posh resorts in Devon and Cornwall.
  • Punshhh
    The ONS figures which came out this week estimate the death toll in the UK to be about 50,000 as of last week.

The government has been massaging them down. The excess deaths in care homes in April was 18,000, above the death rate in April the year before. The government is only admitting that 8,000 of these were due to Covid.
  • ssu
    Oh geee what a surrprrrisseee who could have seen this coming!StreetlightX

The 2007-2008 so called "Great Recession" is small compared to this.
  • fdrake

Yes. It remains true that the US stimulus package is not addressing the huge demand shock, seeing as it is mostly adding liquidity to stock markets at the price of leverage rather doing much to address the expected failures of small businesses, the huge unemployment, and the massive downward spike in spending power of huge swathes of workers.
  • ssu
    What is likely to happen is what typically happens in an economic depression:

We fall to a lower level and then start very slowly to pick up from there. It will again take years before unemployment is at such rosy level as it was before last year.

And what is happening is that Trump will try to rosy up the statistics, both economic and health statistics and simply will put the government to lie about the situation. That's the next step.
  • fdrake
    We fall to a lower level and then start very slowly to pick up from there.ssu

Aye. I'm hoping that in the wake of it wage repression stops. I'm also hoping that the demand shock prompts that. But I don't think it will happen much.

It's likely to be another huge covert wealth transfer and another run through of the austerity/defecit bollocks; now that the bailouts are on the public balance sheet as debt by fiat of accounting.
  • frank
    It depends on how stable China remains, doesnt it? If they falter, that would be the system reset. Maybe.
  • Chester
    I think , as I've said before, that any costs involved with Brexit (assuming there are any) are going to be utterly dwarfed by the costs of this lock down. I don't think anywhere in the world is going to do particularly well after this virus disaster.
  • Chester
    I know from personal experience that every death that can be associated with covid 19 is being associated with covid 19.I accept that the old, infirm and unwell are at risk from this virus...but the rest of us should be allowed to gradually get back to something approaching normal ,though accepting social distancing and vigorous cleaning regimes.
  • Chester
    Just to give context to your figure of 50,000 excess deaths over and above normal, that equates to about 1 death per 1300 people since this virus was introduced here...the vast majority of whom are in a poor state of health.
  • frank
    I accept that the old, infirm and unwell are at risk from this virus...but the rest of us should be allowed to gradually get back to something approaching normal ,though accepting social distancing and vigorous cleaning regimes.Chester

How do you not have a chronic health issue? Diabetes? Coronary artery disease? COPD?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.