• Zelebg
    Should we consider a simulated cell to be alive or not? I say it is alive in relation to its simulated environment, but if it could interact with the actual world then it would also be alive as any other actual living cell.
  • fishfry
    Should we consider a simulated cell to be alive or not? I say it is alive in relation to its simulated environment, but if it could interact with the actual world then it would also be alive as any other actual living cell.Zelebg

Does simulated gravity attract nearby bowling balls?
  • NOS4A2

Should we consider a simulated cell to be alive or not? I say it is alive in relation to its simulated environment, but if it could interact with the actual world then it would also be alive as any other actual living cell.

If the environment is simulated then anything inside would necessarily be simulated.
  • Zelebg

Does actual gravity attract simulated bowling balls?
  • Zelebg
    If the environment is simulated then anything inside would necessarily be simulated.

Simulated and alive.
  • NOS4A2

Simulated and alive.

It sounds like a contradiction in terms.
  • Zelebg

It's clear what you are hinting at, but it’s not clear what the actual argument is supposed to be. Is there anything more for a cell to be alive other than this molecule goes here and that molecule goes there? Simulated gravity and EM attraction / repulsion does not work on actual objects, but it works on simulated objects, i.e. we can simulate all about “this thing goes there and that thing goes here”. So what would be missing?
  • fishfry
    ↪fishfry

Does actual gravity attract simulated bowling balls?
    Zelebg

No. You just made my point.
  • Zelebg
    No. You just made my point.

And what is your point?
  • fishfry
    And what is your point?Zelebg

A simulation of a thing isn't the same as the thing.
  • Zelebg
    A simulation of a thing isn't the same as the thing.

Sure, simulated thing is a separate thing on its own, therefore it is alive all by itself. Is that your point?
  • christian2017

If you are talking about a piece of software on a computer then no. A simulated soldier in Call of Duty is just a mathematical algorithm that is run a course (like water in a river). The electrons and the water just take the path of least resistance. A river and also electron flow through a processor isn't alive, it just once again takes the path of least resistance. You and I actually have feeling, just as a bacterial cell has feeling.
  • Zelebg

Are you saying electrons and atoms in actual human beings are not taking paths of least resistance?
  • christian2017
    Are you saying electrons and atoms in actual human beings are not taking paths of least resistance?Zelebg

No I would agree with that. Where is the misunderstanding. Have you ever heard of the idea of collective consceeeeence or collective soul. To some extent these philosophies don't contradict my chosen religion. Basically i believe people are confined to the particles running like a river through our systems (our systems are a particle mass flowing like a river as well), and our feelings/emotions are the product of a continous "feeling" that extends through out the whole universe. I could be wrong. What difference does it make if i'm wrong?
  • Gregory
    Indian people seem to be the only people scrupulous about not killing bugs. Joe Rogan had a great comedy set on vegetarian lifestyle. I mean, it brings up questions interesting to philosophy
  • Daniel
    According to you, what are the conditions for considering something to be alive? I ask because, for example, in my opinion, I believe something must be carbon-based, able to generate electrochemical gradients on its own and able to replicate itself to be considered alive.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.