• AustinK
    Reflecting on the shift from Logical Positivism to Logical Empiricism, would the Logical Empiricist concede that it is possible to know whether or not God exists?
  • Qwex
    The Logical Empiricist would, rather stupidity. I would too, but intellectually. I would rule out God, because 'it's immature' if we're talking about an intelligent creator. The Logical Empiricist would say, it's not accomplishable through scientific method, thus God doesn't exist.
  • 180 Proof
    :pray:

Depends on the g/G type defined. Insofar as a LE assumes the statement "There is a g/G" is cognitive (i.e. propositional), predicates ascribed in scriptures, by theology, or from testimonials (i.e. religious experiences) that entail testable evidence which differentiates existence from non-existence are required.

Examples:

a. A 'both creator & intervener' g/G? Yes.

b. A 'creator-only' g/G? Maybe (if QG is taken into account by a LE).

c. An 'intervener-only' g/G? Yes.

d. A 'neither creator nor intervener' g/G? No.

:naughty:

NB: By 'intervener' I understand agency that causes changes in or to the (scientifically) observable, physical, world (i.e. nature), independent of the agency's alleged provenance (i.e. natural or supernatural), which are therefore also (scientifically) observable. E.g. "parting the Red Sea", "raising the dead", "curing incurable diseases via intercessionary prayer", "flooding the world", "creating the world c6000 years ago", "being on both sides in a co-religionists' sectarian / civil / holy war", ... IN GENERAL: "suspend 'conservation laws' with each 'miraculous' transformation of a natural person place or thing", etc
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.