• IvoryBlackBishop
    Most responses to this term seem to have negative responses and associated it with "group think" or "herd mentality" and so forth.

I'd argue the only problem is that some degree of "conformity" is basically taken for granted, and that any argument against conformity taken to logical extremes would end in nihlism or absurdism.

(For example, learning the English language, or following the Traffic Laws in an English speaking country is a type of conformity, much as how the philosohpy of the Law is predicated on conformity within the realms of moral behavior, such as not commiting evil acts against others; obviously though there's a difference between a person who is "abnormal" in the sense of an Einstein or a professional athelete, or a very-well educated person, such as a scholar of law and moral philosophy - versus "abnormal" in the sense of a Jeffery Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy).

So my conclusion is that some pragmatic degree of conformity is more or less necessary and taken for granted; when people speak against "conformity" they're only doing so within a degree of acceptable reason, however beyond that is a very touchy subject which I want to avoid probing further, lest it degenerate into arguments and aburdisms.
  • Judaka

Anti-conformity is more often than not a kind of virtue signalling, it's not usually a well-thought-out position. I find most people who are anti-conformity, tried to conform, failed at it and found the answer was to dislike conformity. It's not a dysfunctional way of dealing with failing at it but it makes for a weak position.
  • Bitter Crank
    IvoryBlackBishop, I think Judaka pretty much nailed it. Conformity and non-conformity can both be either principled or unprincipled. Then too, deviation is probably a necessary step on the way to good individuation. Mass-conformity (the cheering crowds at a Nazi rally in Nuremberg for instance, or Trump's fan-base) are a major downside of conformity.

This is a good topic, imho.
  • Judaka

Might be a relevant link to this discussion too, it's all about cognitive biases which I think sometimes get simplified as conformity unfairly and incorrectly.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/50-cognitive-biases-in-the-modern-world/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.