• TheMadFool
    Please bear with my ignorance if it makes an appearance in this post as I'm sure it will.

AIBO - the AI dog

AIBO is an artificial intelligence dog manufactured by Sony and though I'm not aware of how popular or realistic it was/is, all that needs to be noted here is that creating an AI dog is relatively easier than an AI human.

I'm not wrong in saying that humans consider rationality - logical ability - as their defining feature and hence our species name: homo sapiens or wise man. Put otherwise, we distance other animals from ourselves based on our capacity for logic and it seems quite fair to do so since all that we call human achievement has been the result of the application of logic.

Computers can be said to be our greatest invention so far and they are, in essence, logical machines. We could say that if there is a part of our brain that is devoted to logic then the computer is nothing more than an exact working replica of that part. It's as if we took our essence - logical capacity - and replicated it on a machine.

Now consider the fact that the essence of being human - logic - can easily mimic and pass off as a dog (AIBO AI dog) but not a human and note that every possible logical ability a human is capable of, a computer can easily duplicate in its processor.

In effect this implies that the essence of being human - logic - transferred into an even more powerful logical machine, a computer processor, is only capable of being dog-like (AIBO) or animal-like. The paradox is that that which we think makes us humans and separates us from other animals, logical ability, is only capable of being non-human animals.

Comments...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.