• Shawn
    Recently, due to my behavior I have decided that sometimes it is more rational to just give up rather than keep on pushing for it/something.

I feel like I have given up, and have become content with it.

Not, that I'm special here or anything; but, other people don't want other people to give up.

I ask why is this so?
  • Qwex
    I'm happy with the smallest imagination, but then again I'm comfortable with who I am.

Some people exist and they don't deserve to.

If you don't push because life was too harsh for you, that's acceptable.
  • DingoJones

I suspect there are 2 main reasons people do not want other people to “give up” ( a bit unclear how expansively you mean that).
    The first is social conformity. Social creatures like humans have instincts that identify social outliers as weak and therefore a threat to social stability or the tribe. Its the same reason why a pack of wolves will gang up and kill the weak link. Im not saying that someone (you in this case) who chooses to “give up” are weak (You may be, but could also have other reasons for choosing the “give up” method). I just think that the “give up” attitude is triggering the response from others described above, whether that triggered response is accurate or not I do not know.
    Second, I think that people naturally see themselves in others, our peers are like mirrors. Since everybody feels like giving up sometimes, they do not like to be reminded of those times of hopelessness or weak moments by someone who hasnt moved on in the same way, or who doesnt seem bothered by such a state the way they were when they felt like giving up.
    To sum it up, your decision makes people uncomfortable.
  • Arne
    and then there is the we are all interdependent and/or in the same boat aspect of things. Don't give up; we need you.
  • DingoJones

I don’t buy that at all. There are plenty of people “we” don’t need, and plenty of people that are not interdependent on plenty of other people. Also, plenty of people in plenty of different boats.
  • Shawn
    I agree. I think it's built into our very DNA to keep on moving forward.

But, I am resisting so hard, that I just want to give up and not continue this absurd party.

Does anyone else fell that way sometimes, and feel a revolting experience when being told to keep on going?
  • tim wood
    Recently, due to my behavior I have decided that sometimes it is more rational to just give up rather than keep on pushing for it/something. I feel like I have given up, and have become content with it. Not, that I'm special here or anything; but, other people don't want other people to give up. I ask why is this so?Wallows

Philosophy, even as done here, is not the same thing as psychology.

It seems to me that each life has its own structure, and these structures share some things in common, but no two are the same. I'm not defining "structure," but it seems reasonable to suppose "it" has purposes, capacities, capabilities, and changes and is subject to various stresses across time. What is deeply deceptive is the idea that your structure should be or have particular qualities or aspects. That is, that those exist independently, and you should have got/found/learned/developed your own bespoke set of them. And this is wrong and false.

To be sure, on the surface, some are faster, smarter, better, you-name-it, than others. But that only on the surface. A lived life is one of accommodation. If you're late at this, then it can seem like accommodation-by-force. And in some cases it is. It's really more about growing up, maturing, and what Clint calls a man's getting to know his limits. And learning to craft a life within them.

Sense?
  • Qwex

I am experiencing a hell via a schizophrenia. My consciousness is shared with things that are rude and highly logical about being a hell. I'm told it's hell and that's the excuse I'm given. I've learned and produced a lot of new information through it. The centre of this experience is that I've produced so much, these things want to be me, want to kill me, etc, but it's all numbed. Now I know this sounds quite special, but the things literally take up room, take up time. I'm never alone. My body is touched innapropriately. My thoughts are stolen, like someone was using my mind before I can. It's said they're doing work when I'm the one who did it.

I say they're not. One big cycle.

What's that show about hell? Should I accept the pleasure from doing the hell properly or continue to protest?

It's been here since I was a baby, I have memories which are strange like some presence was there. I ranted earlier about good being stupid and then deleted because I was in a regular turmoil. I shout for hours, daily, at walls 'you deserve to burn', etc.

It's so perverse. I want to protest forever, but when it gets calm, will I just forget? I don't want to. I hate these things.

Hell.
  • DingoJones

Are you getting professional help?
  • DingoJones

Were you addressing me with that last comment, cuz I didnt mean to say we have “keep going” in our DNA, even though we probably do. I was making a different point altogether though.
  • Qwex

Yes but I disbelieve you can fix it through medication. Medication hasn't fixed it. Talking to someone potentially less intelligent on a matter I literally experience, hasn't either. No doubt shrinks know their stuff but they're not speaking ultimate truth - far from it.
  • DingoJones

Indeed, you need to shop around for the right person. And try a range of meds and see what works best. My aunt is schizophrenic, and was pretty hopeless about getting better until she found the right meds, but when she did it was a huge increase in well being.
  • Congau

Giving up is contrary to the innate purpose of anything in nature. This is not an external purpose handed over by God or society but inside any organism itself. Anything in nature has a potential that it strives to maximize. A tree will try to get as much water and sunlight it needs to reach its strongest and most healthy state. It will grow its roots and stretch its branches for that purpose. (Unconsciously of course, since a tree has no consciousness.)
    An animal will also try to fulfill its maximum for itself and its young.

Only human beings can go against their own purpose and be deliberately self-destructive because of this nasty thing called a free will. At the same time that’s what makes us ethically relevant creatures. In fact, ethics is all about making our will conform to what is in our nature. Ethics teaches us not to hurt others (that is, not obstructing their nature) but it is just as much about not hurting ourselves.
    It is unethical to obstruct our own nature because nature defines what is ethical in the first place. In the absence of religious authorities, nature tells us what is right and wrong.
  • Shawn
    Hell.Qwex

From one schizophrenic, to another. Medication helps.
  • Shawn
    Giving up is contrary to the innate purpose of anything in nature. This is not an external purpose handed over by God or society but inside any organism itself. Anything in nature has a potential that it strives to maximize. A tree will try to get as much water and sunlight it needs to reach its strongest and most healthy state. It will grow its roots and stretch its branches for that purpose. (Unconsciously of course, since a tree has no consciousness.)
    An animal will also try to fulfill its maximum for itself and its young.

Only human beings can go against their own purpose and be deliberately self-destructive because of this nasty thing called a free will. At the same time that’s what makes us ethically relevant creatures. In fact, ethics is all about making our will conform to what is in our nature. Ethics teaches us not to hurt others (that is, not obstructing their nature) but it is just as much about not hurting ourselves.
    It is unethical to obstruct our own nature because nature defines what is ethical in the first place. In the absence of religious authorities, nature tells us what is right and wrong.
    Congau

I'm not sure how this follows. I mean, giving up isn't self-destructive is it?
  • Shawn
    Here's is my line of reasoning.

If what produces harm in the world is manifest in violent emotions, then what good are emotions to this world? What's so great about emotions?
  • Qwex

I've been given risperidrone, arrpriprizole, olanzapine, out of the antipsy- and none work. I don't think antipsy- work.

I prefer antidep-, benzodiazapines.

They have an effect, but, deep down, medication can't solve all problems.

It's ironic. A way out ain't so easy.

Hallucinations aren't a freak of nature, they're quite common.

To boldly claim medications can solve every mental problem equates to everyone doing illicit drugs.

I wouldn't jump in the shallow let alone the deep of psychology.

I've counter analyzed the process.

It's knuckle it down to hallucinations and make the patient give up with imprisonment and grooming. 'forcing' statistics is evident.

Psyc- puts hallucinations in people who don't. Offer gifts for people to lie about illness to recieve them.

Psychologists know little about dopamine mechanically, but understand how it reacts to some chemicals. It's meant to refresh and recallibrate (and other) the senses.

Not all mental problems are a sensory malfunction. Some are statistical anomalies.

It's like saying I crashed my car because the tire was flat and blaming all car crashing on car faults.
  • Tzeentch
    To respond to your original question;

Pushing too hard generally means to go against the flow of the universe. There's nothing wrong with relaxing and being content to just 'go with the flow'. You may even end up being happier that way!

People don't like to see others give up, maybe because they care for that person and they believe it is in their best interest to push forward.

However, when it is not about empathy it is probably about herd behavior. Many are taught from an early age to start running for the finish line with the promise of a reward at the end. When people notice others have stopped running or have started to run into a different direction that tends to freak us out.
  • I Karamazov
    I suffer from what one poster above referred to as a "statistical anomaly" of severe, treatment resistant depression, and I relate deeply to the experience of giving up. But perhaps the following metaphor can answer, in part, your question.

When testing different efficacies of medications, psychologists use something called a swim test. They will place rats in a tank of water, and measure for how long they swim until they give up. When the rats have taken certain medications, usually antidepressants or stimulants, they swim for longer periods of time before giving up. To the rat, all seems lost, but they eventually get scooped up from the tank after they stop swimming. To be in that situation is fairly familiar to me, and even though it feels as though I am adrift without any hope in sight, to other people it is clear that I am just in a tank, in need to being scooped up. Perhaps they can see something you cannot in those moments, a way back to dry land exists even if they cannot specify exactly how.

And of course, there is love.
  • Congau
    giving up isn't self-destructive is it?Wallows
    The tree would never give up stretching out for water and sunlight. The wolf would never give up looking for prey. That would be self-destructive. Nothing in nature ever settles for what is second best even if it could survive without it.
    Only humans can act against their own nature and give up – only humans can act unethically.

That being said, giving up is usually a result of some form of depression and I wouldn’t add to anyone’s burden by condemning him for giving up. It is understandable, although it’s not the right thing to do.
    In the same way we can imagine the agony a suicide has gone through and we don’t want to be too harsh on him. Still, he did the wrong thing.

However, if by giving up you mean leaving an ambitious plan that now appears meaningless to you, it’s a different matter. Then you are not giving up as such but merely changing your mind about what is worth pursuing.
    If you are really content with it, it may mean that you now prefer the present stage to what you were trying to achieve. If that’s the case, you haven’t really given up at all. “Giving up” in its proper sense means stop trying to achieve what you still want to achieve.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.