• Craiya
    If you create an imaginary character and you start talking to them, does it mean you're talking to somebody or are you talking to yourself?
  • Sir2u
    If you create an imaginary character and you start talking to them, does it mean you're talking to somebody or are you talking to yourself?Craiya

It means that you are talking with yourself.
  • Qwex
    You're talking to the imaginary character, but because that's in your own mind, it can be confused with talking with yourself.

Your eye's target is a thing that isn't yourself.

Your own simulate presence.

I suppose it can be argued any imagination you produce is yours only, and thus it is yourself you're talking to.

However, I'm not ready to explain that.
  • Sir Philo Sophia
    You're talking to the imaginary character, but because that's in your own mind, it can be confused with talking with yourself.Qwex

so, you are not yourself when role playing or acting? you think is a kind of controlled, temporary schizophrenia?
  • Qwex

OP did mention creation of an imaginary character.
  • Sir Philo Sophia
    OP did mention creation of an imaginary character.Qwex

OK, what does that imaginary character look/act like? I'm saying the more form/process you give it the more you will find it is actually based on what is already known/experienced.
  • Qwex

I imagine I'm in a room with my nan, my nan's presence is presumed around me. If my target is my imaginary nan, then that's what I believe is being talked to.

Not the malleability of the action, and how it looks.
  • Sir Philo Sophia
    I imagine I'm in a room with my nan, my nan's presence is presumed around me. If my target is my imaginary nan, then that's what I believe is being talked to.Qwex

Sorry, in my prior post, I thought this was on the thread re imagination vs concepts. Any how, when you imagine, you are playing games of known things with yourself. In a room... that is known. 'nan's presence' is a person, which you project as an instance of yourself or someone you know, so that is known. talking is known. then you imagine you talking to a projection of yourself. all based on known things, so just you playing with abstractions your own conceptualized imagery. Nothing but playing games of known things with yourself. Like counterfactual simulations, or dreams even.
  • Sir2u
    Your eye's target is a thing that isn't yourselfQwex

How can you see an imaginary character?

Your own simulate presence.Qwex

Are simulation and imagination the same thing? I can imagine that I am eating pizza, is that the same as simulating eating pizza?

I suppose it can be argued any imagination you produce is yours only, and thus it is yourself you're talking to.Qwex

Talking WITH.

However, I'm not ready to explain that.Qwex

Why not?

To make sure that others know you have replied to them, you can use the "Quote" or reply functions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.