• Satyesu
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum; I don't see any descriptions of categories. Would anyone recommend some works on basic political philosophy questions, such as "Is liberty/freedom an ideal that one should always try to maximize?" or "What should the role of a society be?" please?
  • Virgo Avalytikh
    The university standard text is Jonathan Wolff, An Introduction to Political Philosophy. It is a good starting point, though not nearly as comprehensive as it could be. Colin Bird's recently published book of the same name is more comprehensive, but does not seem to be as widely used. My favourite introduction, which I tend to recommend to people, is Phil Parvin and Clare Chambers, Political Philosophy: A Complete Introduction. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get a copy of this on anything other than kindle format. You might also benefit from Andrew Heywood, Political Ideologies: An Introduction.
  • Arne
    There are many a great philosophers who also wrote about government, e.g., John Stuart Mill, John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, and many others.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.