• Michael Lee
    The steeds that draw my chariot were conducting me to the farthermost reach of my desire, bringing me at length on to the resounding road of the Goddess, along which he who knows is borne through all cities. She said to me "Never shall it be proven that not-being is. From that path of inquiry restrain your mind. Do not let custom, born of everyday experience, tempt your eyes to be aimless, your ear and tongue to be echos. Let reason be your judge when you consider this much disputed question. The heart when left to itself misses the road." She continued further, "Come, then, listen to my word and take heed of it: I will tell you of the two roads of inquiry which offer themselves to the mind. The one way that It Is and cannot not-be, is the way of credibility based on truth. The other way, that It Is Not and that non-being must be, cannot be grasped by the mind; for you cannot know not-being and cannot express it." Parmenides 515 BCE

I once frequently asked astronomers that if the universe is of a finite size, then what 'is' beyond the universe and most said to me there is nothing beyond the universe. But when they are pressed further about what 'nothing is' they are always unable to answer. But if they respond "what is beyond the universe" is contradictory because anything that is beyond the universe is actually "in" the universe.

I found an incredibly good presentation on Parmenides' thoughts by Professor Footy and the music is wonderfully soothing.
  • TheMadFool
    that non-being must be, cannot be grasped by the mind; for you cannot know not-being and cannot express it." Parmenides 515 BCEMichael Lee

What about sleep and the time before you were born? Non-being? Of course you couldn't experience non-being directly for that would be a contradiction but one does get a sense of not having existed i.e. non-being while asleep or at a time before your birth.
  • Pfhorrest
    most said to me there is nothing beyond the universe. But when they are pressed further about what 'nothing is' they are always unable to answer.Michael Lee

There is a difference between "the thing that is beyond the universe is called 'nothing'" (what you hear) and "there is not any thing beyond the universe" (what they say). The latter can be rephrased equivalently as "everything is in the universe". The former cannot be coherently phrased at all, because it's nonsense.
  • Tzeentch
    If you're interested in this topic, which I assume you are, I would really recommend this lecture by Pierre Grimes: The Eleatic School of Parmenides, Zeno, and Melissus

He goes into further detail about the meaning of these texts, and also some of the concepts that need to be understood before one can make sense of them. Time and being, for example.

It's a bit lengthy, but, just like all of Pierre's lectures, well worth it.
  • Michael Lee
    Thank you so much for the link! I'll watch it later today. I love Parmenides' thoughts and are the basis for much of mine.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.