• god must be atheist
    between the historical system of divinity/divineGrre

You can't say this if you are an atheist. This what you said here affirms there is divinity / devine power.

I am not going to argue what you believe or not, it would be too stupid of me. But in my opinion your wording of the issue is not quite right. You are talking about the divinity as if it were a fact. You ought to talk about it as it pertains to its believers.
  • god must be atheist
    I meant "ideal" in the common-day sense.Grre

Maybe. But Plato did not say it in the common-day sense, and you immediately quoted Plato as the believer in the same thing.

I am glad you clarified this, but please be more precise in your text. You are misleading for no reason, and also inadvertently. I got mislead, and you did not mean to mislead. If I were you, I would pay closer attiention to the wording and not let the style carry you away.
  • god must be atheist
    I disagree, and again you misconstrue my meaning-while power structures may always play a role in human social behaviour, hoarding and the concept of private property is specifically linked to the development of agricultural/civilization...i am not saying that it never existed, surely greedy bastards have always existed, but it was a rare behaviour that wasn't encouraged by collective/tribal systems...much of the concept of elitism wasGrre

You disagree because you equate greed with being power-hungry. The two may have a common overlapping area, but greed is also a survival tool. If not greed, then hoarding definitely is. And the word greed is nothing but a value-laden, morally deploring word to mean "hoarding".

I now get your meaning, but again, your concepts are not separated from closely related concepts, in your text, and therefore your writing is imprecise, misleading, and even wrong. Not that your ideas are wrong, but your way of putting them down.

Greed is a human (and also an animal) characteristic, you may not like it personally, but it is a human trait, part of human nature.

I noticed, actually, that those who gripe about greed of others, are basically crying sour grapes, as they are envious people who got wealth. The complainers only complain about the greed of the wealthy because they themselves are not wealthy.

It is really an ugly, hypocrytical scene to complain about manifestation of aspects of human nature.
  • Grre

What part of "historical system" implies that I believe in it? When I am necessarily delineating it as being a system objectively part of a historical reality...which it was, regardless of what i want to say about it..

No I quoted Plato as an example of the development of the rule of law, which he thought second to his Philosopher King's...in relation to Aristotle who overruled that opinion.

Greed is a human (and also an animal) characteristic, you may not like it personally, but it is a human trait, part of human nature.
    This is one opinion; thinkers like Chomsky and Kropotkin have denied this-altruism in nature being more prevalent than greed necessarily. Both exist to varying degrees, sure, but it can be fostered or diminished by varying types of systems.

I apologize if my wording is misleading as this was not my intention.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.