• Gnostic Christian Bishop
    Are you sure you’re not Jesus? You’re so wise and messianic.Noah Te Stroete

As Jesus asked his disciples, who do they say I am like.

Titles and comparisons are given. It is not something I can claim.

Are you ready to make a claim?

Regards
    DL
    Exegesis is not simple,tim wood

As an esoteric ecumenist, I agree.

Regards
    DL
    That may very well be true, but the early church did not adopt the Jewish messianic myth as whole cloth.Bitter Crank

I agree. Christianity ruined a rather progressive toward equality religion for their rather backwards thinking homophobic, misogynous and genocidal using god.

Evil adores evil and Yahweh is evil.

Regards
    DL
  • RegularGuy
    said:

“Are you ready to make a claim?“

My claim is that you are delusional in a way that far surpasses my so-called delusions that I have been gaslighted about for many, many years. Were you abused, too? Or is it a genetic predisposition? Or both?
    But I also understand why humans are open to these kinds of things.Coben

I did not see anything about the Jewish view of Eden as Original Virtue, which changes the whole moral to the Eden story.

If Adam, would you have educated yourself or would you have remained with your eyes closed and unable to reproduce?

If you understand why people are open to such things, what is your take on why people are willing to believe supernatural statements of all kinds as real, without evidence or proof?

Even talking serpents and donkeys.

Regards
    DL
    And when Jesus was crucified he suffered human agony.Coben

To an eternal being who has never felt anything, even as scriptures say that god never changes or learns anything, a bit of pain would be like a breath of fresh air.

God would have ever so grateful for any new input in his never changing personae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qBUWOYfE

Regards
    DL
    Jesus ditto. If he REALLY was into law and order, and sinless, he would have thrown that cobblestone.god must be atheist

I do not agree.

What do you think he wrote in the sand?

Likely, it take two to fornicate and I cannot judge half a case.

That or, if an eye for an eye is the usual measure of justice, a measured response IOW, killing someone for screwing is overkill and unjust.

Regards
    DL
    The idea that eternal damnation is the result of failure to do and think certain things has served some very well.

As for whether Jesus was born with Original Sin, the answer is of course no. Because God, that's why.
    Ciceronianus the White

It is an interesting point to ponder, I agree.

To your first, yes, the church has been able to have many part with their cash thanks to their lies.

To your last, what about Jesus' human half. Was it somehow exempt and why ?

After all, sin is a good thing to Christians, given that they sing that Adam's sin was a happy fault and necessary to god's plan. Jesus would maintain a sin nature so as to not derail god's plan.

Regards
    DL
    why are Christians so strict about the name Jesus?Qwex

I don't know. They sure are not strict about following his tenets.
    Mind you, given that so many of his tents are immoral, that could be a good thing.

The name "Jesus" is used quite liberally in some countries.

Regards
    DL
    since Adam & Eve were also humans who lacked it.

Perhaps it could be rationaled by assuming the Original Sin gene is on the Y chromosome. Jesus didn't get his Y chromosome from a biological human.
    Relativist

Your first is correct as they are charged, Adam alone really, with doing the first/Original Sin.

Thanks for checking that Mary thing. My memory worked well this time.

You make a good point in seeing our genes as responsible for the sins and evil within us.

All human to human evil is generated by our instincts and if we did not follow those, we would go extinct.

Regards
    DL
  • deletedusercb
    To an eternal being who has never felt anything, even as scriptures say that god never changes or learns anything, a bit of pain would be like a breath of fresh air.

God would have ever so grateful for any new input in his never changing personae.
    Gnostic Christian Bishop

If you think you can know that kind of thing...
    Me I have no idea what an all powerful being would enjoy.
    Me I have no idea what an all powerful being would enjoy.Coben

Neither do but scriptures say god never changes. He, if ignorant of pain, could not gain that knowledge as it would belie the WORD of god.

Regards
    DL
  • deletedusercb
    If you understand why people are open to such things, what is your take on why people are willing to believe supernatural statements of all kinds as real, without evidence or proof?Gnostic Christian Bishop

If you understand why people are open to such things, what is your take on why people are willing to believe supernatural statements of all kinds as real, without evidence or proof?Gnostic Christian Bishop
    Why do people think 9/11 was carried out by some Saudis with box cutters after seeing the videos of, amongst other things, Building 7 going down? Why do people think the US is a democarcy? People will believe things that feel right or where they get the information from peopel they want to believe. Of course some people do have evidence of things that get called supernatural, but that's another kettle of fish. Why does anybody believe that their experiences make them sure what other people can know? We tend to be very conservative creatures.

If Adam, would you have educated yourself or would you have remained with your eyes closed and unable to reproduce?Gnostic Christian Bishop
    i have no idea what it would like being in the Garden of Eden with a deity that spoke directly to me and presumably perfect food and water. I've seen many interpretations of that story, including ones where it was meant to be that they chose what they chose - though we should give Eve credit, Adam just went along. And I've come up with some of my own.
  • deletedusercb
    Neither do but scriptures say god never changes. He, if ignorant of pain, could not gain that knowledge as it would belie the WORD of god.Gnostic Christian Bishop

Certainly there are confusing and contradictory things in scriptures. I am not fond of the Abrahamic scriptures, but, then, they are NOT math books. IOW taking them apart as if they were a thesis in math or something doesn't really end up demonstrating anything except, perhaps to those Christians, say, who think everything in there is perfect and makes sense. But those people are not going to listen anyway. A bunch of different people wrote the Bible. Even if many of them were, say, 68 percent right - just throwing out a number - there would likely be confusions and contradictions. Especially if some of the language was meant literally and some metaphorically. Perhaps some of the things meant literally are true, despite their being 'supernatural' (a mess of a word). Even then, there would be issues. It's not a tome from analytical philosophy or natural science. Some people want a yes, no and want their texts or other people's texts to be another kind of text or only another kind of text. As if humans suddenly were always AIs.
    But those people are not going to listen anyway.Coben

Thanks for your insight in both posts.

This, your statement, is mostly correct but as the adage goes, for evil to grow all good people need do is nothing. I am trying to be good and even if my interlocutor is brain dead, my hope is that lurkers will get it.

I get more converts, so to speak, from the lurkers than the, usually obtuse and belligerent poster.

Regards
    DL
  • tim wood
    Genesis 2: 16-17 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it:for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.(KJV)

This is what it says. Period. All else needs to have its pedigree reviewed. Now, what is everyone talking about?
  • deletedusercb
    This, your statement, is mostly correct but as the adage goes, for evil to grow all good people need do is nothing.Gnostic Christian Bishop

I'm not suggesting you do nothing. I think there are side effects of taking religious writing in the way you have and also in what I considered a binary approach. Those side effects I consider both easily avoided and problematic. I certainly did not mean that one should accept the giant guilt trip of Jesus' crucifixion as it is presented in some versions of Christianity.
    I am trying to be good and even if my interlocutor is brain dead, my hope is that lurkers will get it.

I get more converts, so to speak, from the lurkers than the, usually obtuse and belligerent poster
    Gnostic Christian Bishop
    Of course. But I am not saying you should make the obtuse happy or treat them with kid gloves. My point was that those who are not obtuse will probably be better served by more nuances, less binary, approaches. The obtuse deserve that kind of approach, but we both seem to agree they will not be changed by that either. My point was precisely NOT for you to come up with an approach that is better for the obtuse.
    CobenCoben

Thanks for this.

Regards
    DL
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist