• Babbeus
    Maybe you already heard about the one electron universe: it is the idea that the apparantly multiple identical electrons could just be several occurrence of the same electron traveling in time and space and interacting with itself.

I was considering the analogous model about consciousnesses/self: there seem to be several completely separate consciousnesses but they could be all occurrences of the same consciousness interacting with itself. In every single occurrence within a brain the consciousness only has access to the local available memory and sensory data so it cannot know anything about having experienced other occurrences in other bodies/brains/forms. If "you" become "me" for a while and then you come back to "you" again you wouln't realize anything, you just would have access to the continuous streaming of memory of your brain, so in principle there could be a same consciousness that travels throught everyone of our brain interacting with her own occurrences without having any awareness of this.

What is good in this model:

• It has similar advantages to the one electron universe: it reduces the number of entities and solves the problem of why are there so many consciousnesses.
    • It solves the problem about how consciousnesses could start and stop existing from nothing.

Is this position already known in the literature?
    What do you think about it?
  • 0 thru 9
    A most interesting topic, and a very good question. Thanks for posting it. Some thoughts...

It would seem that most people at some point wonder if the energy of consciousness which they feel flowing through them, is perhaps the tip of an immense iceberg of infinite awareness. Like someone looking at a glass of water and pondering the notion that each of the molecules in that glass have had over a million mile and million year journey through the clouds, oceans, rivers, and puddles. And have been part of the bodies of countless humans and other animals. And hopefully this thought won't make the person too nauseous to take a sip of that water. (lol!)

As for the "one electron universe" theory, the link you provided is intriguing. Pondering Quantum questions seems to dissolve my mind in a wonderful if slightly disorienting way. Like running a race, then after "hitting the wall" of the body's limit, experiencing a "runners high". Whether i understand any of it is another matter entirely. I best stick to familiar terms, like the tribal person gazing up at an airplane, what he calls an "iron bird".

There may be a correlation between consciousness and identity, as concerning human thought and the scope of one's particular awareness. I am wondering about the limits placed on who/what we think we are, and its effect on consciousness. In a recent thread i posted some thoughts on the matter. They may or may not be relevant here:

Reveal
    There is, one could say, an identity crisis that stretches across civilization and cuts painfully into the pysche of countless people. It is almost immeasurably deep. And, as i see it, the most effective way to counteract it is to "go deep". Deep into your identity. Who or what am i, really? The distinctions of one's race, cultural heritage, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, social standing, money and possessions, career, etc. are of great importance in developing an identity. It is the framework on which a life is built and lived, so these distinctions are an important part of our very existence.

But what does this framework stand upon? One could say that the common denominator is "humanity". To identity as a human primarily, prior to and "more existentially" than the above mentioned distinctions, is to realize a common and indissoluble solidarity with every person who has ever lived. And with those yet to be born. That seems to be a significant step in a person's psyche-spiritual development. A step that perhaps some do not take within their lifetime. Maybe that's something to put on the "bucket list".

And beyond that? Or, (if one thinks of going deeper) "below" that? Is there anything below/beyond that in terms of the foundation of our identity? Perhaps. And thankfully, it may not be all that uncommon. To go deeper than one's human identity is to identity with other mammals, and with all living beings. I dare say that someone who has deeply bonded with a pet has possibly transcended a strictly human identity. And this is disregarding the strange, otherworldly hypnotic powers of pet cats. ;) Dog lovers know this, as do those connected with other mammals, reptiles, birds, and fish. And even insects. It is quite an experience to have a praying mantis turn its head toward you, and calmly consider your presence. Your consciousness is connected with its consciousness in way not dependent on IQ.

Perhaps three of the strongest things or forces in this world are gravity, water, and tree roots. Powerful and unceasing. Our roots go down deep, perhaps deeper than can easily be imagined. This is our very strength, since a tree cut through completely at ground level can regenerate itself. Humans have their own kind of heliotropism, growing upward and building higher and higher. Which is as it should be.
    Let us not neglect our powerful geotropism, even though it is mostly not visible and might seem to be in the muck and mire of existence.

The high hurdler has much skill, as does the limbo dancer. How low can you go?

There seems to be in the human mind some balance of "self" and "beyond self", one could say. Is there an optimal balance point of these two extremes (or a general range at least) where humans may happily dwell, so to speak? Or can each of the levels of personal and transpersonal awareness be adjusted independently in one's mind, in a way like one adjusts the treble and bass levels of a stereo music system? In this analogy, if the personal compares to the treble level and the transpersonal compares to the bass level, has the average current mental state become too "trebley", an isolated cul-de-sac? And if so, what could remedy the possible imbalance?

If there are more questions than answers at this point, hopefully there is some fire behind all the smoke. Thank you for reading these thoughts. I appreciate any responses to them, as well as to the original post.
  • 0 thru 9
    Is this position already known in the literature?Babbeus

The field of transpersonal psychology would probably be the most scientific examination of these questions. (Whatever what one may happen to think of the results of their research and experiments).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpersonal_psychology

Other related topics would include non-dualistic philosophy, Advaita Vedanta, philosophical Taoism,
    and Buddhism. Also, possibly the theory of the Noosphere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noosphere
  • mcdoodle
    Babbeus

The first paper on this page, 'Idealism without God', outlines such a view: http://yetterchappell.net/Helen/papers.html
  • wuliheron
    The subject has too much literature to mention here. My own belief is our existence is paradoxically both united and divided, one and legion. Electrons have provided some of the evidence for this with their particle like aspect being considered indivisible, yet, their wave-like is infinitely divisible.
  • Jeremiah
    Babbeus
    Maybe you already heard about the one electron universe: it is the idea that the apparantly multiple identical electrons could just be several occurrence of the same electron traveling in time and space and interacting with itself.

I was considering the analogous model about consciousnesses/self: there seem to be several completely separate consciousnesses but they could be all occurrences of the same consciousness interacting with itself. In every single occurrence within a brain the consciousness only has access to the local available memory and sensory data so it cannot know anything about having experienced other occurrences in other bodies/brains/forms. If "you" become "me" for a while and then you come back to "you" again you wouln't realize anything, you just would have access to the continuous streaming of memory of your brain, so in principle there could be a same consciousness that travels throught everyone of our brain interacting with her own occurrences without having any awareness of this.

What is good in this model:

It has similar advantages to the one electron universe: it reduces the number of entities and solves the problem of why are there so many consciousnesses.
    It solves the problem about how consciousnesses could start and stop existing from nothing.

Babbeus

You are clearly anthropomorphizing and multiplying entities beyond necessity.
  • Terrapin Station
    Maybe you already heard about the one electron universe: it is the idea that the apparantly multiple identical electrons could just be several occurrence of the same electron traveling in time and space and interacting with itself . . .Babbeus
    When I read something like this, my first thought is always, "Why the heck would we believe that?"

Of course, as I read, I saw that you gave an answer to this:

It has similar advantages to the one electron universe: it reduces the number of entities and solves the problem of why are there so many consciousnesses.
    It solves the problem about how consciousnesses could start and stop existing from nothing.

Those, as reasons to believe something like this, strike me as us making up something that seems ridiculous in order to explain "problems" that don't even strike me as at all being problems. They strike me as akin to us going out to the barn, seeing that there's a hole in a bucket, feeling that the hole in the bucket is inexplicable for some reason, and then coming up with something like, "Well, you see, there's this alien named Franklebortz from another dimension who zips around, invisible-like, to various women's locker rooms around the universe, but sometimes he's a bit off-course, and depending on where he lands, the splobonium firearm he wears on a holster has been known to brush up against things and put a hole into them (it's just one of those unusual properties of splobonium). So that explains not just our bucket's hole, but every hole that occurs (he's actually off course a lot--if only he wouldn't drink so much)"

That should seem ridiculous, but I think that's what we often do, including, unbelievably with increasing frequency, in the sciences.

I don't know why it's supposed to be a positive thing to reduce the number of entities, so that we have just one electron instead of a gazillion of them.

And I don't know why it would seem to be a problem that there are many different consciousnesses and that they only occur in certain situations and not others.

And even if I did think those things were problems, to believe something like "there's just one electron that travels "through time and space 'interacting with itself'" I'd need something that would count as pretty direct evidence of there being just one electron that travels "through time and space 'interacting with itself'." That I could use it to explain something apparently completely unrelated to that that I don't otherwise know how to explain doesn't count as a good reason for belief in my book.
  • Babbeus

You are clearly anthropomorphizing and multiplying entities beyond necessity.

It is the opposite: I am reducing a moltitude of entities to a single one, just like the one electron universe does with electrons.
  • Jeremiah

I am aware you think that this is the case, but you have added additional response variables to your explanatory variable.

Let me break it down step by step

This is your explanatory, it is what you are saying explains the other variables:

A= one electron universe

These are your responses, what is being explained by the one electron universe:

B= multiple identical electrons could just be several occurrence of the same electron traveling in time and space and interacting with itself.

C= several completely separate consciousnesses but they could be all occurrences of the same consciousness interacting with itself.

See you have added another variable, by saying A explains C. There is no justification for adding C.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment