• BC
    It doesn't matter if climate change is a complete lie!Lif3r

It does matter because lie-based policy involves a lot of screwing with one's mind, and everybody else's. "let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay." Speak truly, honestly, in other words.
  • Punshhh
    I think a sense of proportion, judgment, and thoughtful weighing of the evidence and alternatives and choices to be made, is better than hysterical panic that labels everyone who disagrees a hater and a denier. Having that opinion makes me in some people's eyes a hater and denier. It's frustrating but that's the culture these days.
    I agree with your approach, although I notice you didn't have in your list,
    *in what ways are we polluting the planet and what are the likely consequences?

However there is a flaw in your argument. You appear to be working on the assumption that once you have concluded from the answers to these questions, or public opinion has so concluded, that we should be doing something about it, that the required action will follow. If that were the case I would be relaxed about the issue as you are, but that it is not the case that such action will naturally follow.

Far from it, there is a great deal of inertia in the system, there is short term political expediency, as evidenced by the wave of populism sweeping the world. There are powerful vested interests. There are fools in power playing war games. There are countries with no effective government, which are only going to change if the rest of the world is already changing. It is the awareness of such difficulties which exasperate the people who are shouting about climate change, level headed scientists included.
  • Punshhh

But what about the billion or more people who live at, or slightly above sea level, will they come and join you, when you move uphill?
    I have recently moved uphill, to 56m, hopefully the value of my property will hold up for the foreseeable.
  • jgill
    But what about the billion or more people who live at, or slightly above sea level, will they come and join you, when you move uphill?Punshhh

I live at one mile elevation on the prairie. Lots of room up here. But the surfing sucks.
  • Punshhh
    I'm envious of your weather (assuming you don't have tornados), here it has been cold, cloudy and rainy for about four months. We have tiny, or stormy waves here so poor surfing also.
  • SophistiCat
    What about bouldering?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.