• Brett
    China and India, combined, contribute the most CO2 to the atmosphere. They’re unlikely to change.

Let them have it. We; Australia, the US, England, etc., cease activities that contribute CO2. CO2 levels are virtually halved. The West goes nuclear, Australia buries the waste. We create income from exports that feed China and India, coal from Australia, oil from the US, technology from Europe. In exchange China and India produce goods for the West. No one can hold a gun to anyone’s head.

High airfares reduce flights and travel to a luxury.

Contributions and fine tuning welcome before submission to the UN.
  • Mikie

It seems that before anything happens at all, people will have to (1) vote out of office climate deniers and other politicians bought off by Big Oil and (2) escape the shackles of propaganda, misinformation, and sophistry being carried out by the industry, particularly in countries whose economies rely heavily on fossil fuel.

Governments are bought these days, and they're bought by concentrations of wealth and power. What's unfortunate is that because they also own the media companies, they can convince a sizable number of those who actually do vote to vote for leaders who are actively pushing us in the direction of extinction.
  • Brett
    , they can convince a sizable number of those who actually do vote to vote for leaders who are actively pushing us in the direction of the extinction.Xtrix

Okay. Put a freeze on elections. Climate deniers are removed from office. A climate coup is enacted. Media must apply for new registration. Those that print contrary reports are to be fined or threatened with imprisonment. Corporations are put on notice.

As I said, only China and India will contribute CO2.
  • Mikie
    Okay. Put a freeze on elections. Climate deniers are removed from office. A climate coup is enacted. Media must apply for new registration. Those that print contrary reports are to be fined or threatened with imprisonment. Corporations are put on notice.

As I said, only China and India will contribute CO2.
    Brett

Forgive me, I thought you were trying to have an adult conversation. My fault.
  • Brett

Forgive me, I thought you were trying to have an adult conversation. My fault.Xtrix

Well it’s sort of adult. You have to use your imagination, like war games.
  • Mikie

Wasting time making a joke about climate change as Australia is literally burning to the ground isn't my idea of "using my imagination."

Unless you're a climate change denier, in which case: bye!
  • Brett

Chill out, brother. Who said it was a joke? It’s an experiment.
  • Drazjan
    There are many interesting initiatives underway which, in theory, will reduce the Greenhouse gases contributing to Global Warming. Given time, a reversal might be achieved. I don't believe we have enough time. The "Elephant in the Room" is the population explosion which is an exponential increase. Humanity is hurtling toward a population level that will not be a sustainable. The first thing to go will be the Welfare State, Economies, Rule of Law and Civilisation will collapse under the load, and technology will be too late.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.