• jgill
    Perhaps the rules or arithmetic are not so arbitrary.Marchesk

Hmmm. Now where did we come up with a number system base 10?

The preference for consistency is one such rule.Banno

Are my two axioms inconsistent? :roll:
  • Banno
    What do you think? Can you demonstrate their consistency?
  • jgill
    No, no, no ......! You have challenged my axioms. The ball is in your court! :nerd:
  • Marchesk
    The contention here is that this game has similarities to mathematics, in that the playful creation of rules is at the core of both.Banno

So let's try this out. I as ruler of the nearby city demand you pay a tax. I have my soldiers take three oxen out of your six. You complain that this only leaves three oxen to plow the fields. My official reply is that six minus three is five, by decree. I have only removed one of your oxen.

For some reason, that system doesn't last and is replaced by the 6 - 3 = 3 one we have today.
  • Banno
    the golden ratio is one of the patterns that we found. Just like counting and stuff. Some patters are useful.
  • Banno
    yep. Simple. 3+3=6. A pattern that is useful.
  • Marchesk
    A pattern that is useful.Banno

Right, so is math about useful patterns, or about making up arbitrary games, like Chess and Go are made-up games with well defined rules that allow for interesting patterns?

Or maybe both.
  • Banno
    same thing.
  • armonie
    ぶという
  • Marchesk
    he patterns are forms, they are not useful, they are expressions in the extension of matter and energy.
    The forms are dynamic, and they have dependence of ....time.
    armonie

Shades of Heraclitus?
  • armonie
    行為です。
  • Banno
    Nu. They are just patterns. No need for any additional metaphysics.

That’s part of the point of this approach.
  • god must be atheist
    I didn’t realize I was creating an inconsistency,Pfhorrest

I don't mind your inconsistency. It is like the food I cook for my children... it has a certain uncertain flavour peppered with a consistency of indescribable inconsistency.

At least we are consistent about this.
  • Marchesk
    Nu. They are just patterns. No need for any additional metaphysics.

That’s part of the point of this approach.
    Banno

So, the world-stuff creates patterns that we sometimes find useful and turn into mathematics and physics.
  • Banno
    So, the world-stuff creates patterns that we sometimes find useful and turn into mathematics and physics.Marchesk

That says more about the world than is needed.

Stuff does stuff. We make patterns. Sometimes we read patterns into what the stuff is doing.

Less metaphysics. .
  • Per Chance
    This is boring.
  • SophistiCat
    The sum of any two integers is zero.John Gill

What are 'integers' in your game? The way integers are usually defined/constructed, they come with addition already baked in.
  • Harry Hindu
    Let's go back to their origins. How did humans come up with arithmetic? Probably when it became useful to track transactions and taxation. And that's not arbitrary.Marchesk
    Thats why I proposed the rule that Banno hand over 50% of his dough. I thought we should start where the ancients did when the rules were meant to be applicable in the world.
  • Harry Hindu
    Simple. 3+3=6. A pattern that is useful.Banno
    Useful for what? Why is a pattern useful?
  • frank
    Fun, useful, not silly: do you discover these things or do you declare them?

And if you discover what's not silly, where was it before you found it?

Merry Christmas! :sparkle:
  • jgill
    I hereby revoke my two axioms and my original frivolous statement about integers.

Happy Holidays! :nerd:
  • Marchesk
    Ah, makes sense. I thought you were just pulling his leg.
  • Banno
    do you discover these things or do you declare them?frank

I think I have to pay that.

SO maths is made up, and we find - "discover" - ways to use it.
  • Banno
    Useful for what? Why is a pattern useful?Harry Hindu

Whatever you like.

Sometimes we impose.
  • frank
    maths is made up, and we find - "discover" - ways to use it.Banno

Could be.
  • Harry Hindu
    Simple. 3+3=6. A pattern that is useful.
    — Banno
    Useful for what? Why is a pattern useful?
    Harry Hindu

Whatever you like.

Sometimes we impose.
    Banno
    How is 3+3=6 useful for knowing how much of my income the government wants? If the government wants 50% of my income, do I just write 50% on a sheet of paper and then give it to the government? Are we just writing scribbles with arbitrary rules? If so, then why isn't the government content with a sheet of paper with the scribbles 50% on it? What is 50% OF something? What does the "of" mean?

SO maths is made up, and we find - "discover" - ways to use it.Banno
    The symbols are made up, but what they refer to isn't.
  • Banno
    meh.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.