• Athena
    how did we develop the world we live in without the internet?Brett

With books and this did not becoming really meaningful until the west learned about paper and printing from the east and the books were made available to all those who who could afford them and eventually libraries made them available to even those who could afford them. Books spread knowledge in a away the internet can not. To find anything on the internet you have to know what you are look for and even then it may not come up on search.

For example what did Theodore Roosevelt say of women when the US mobilized for the first world war and how did schools support the war effort? This is human information that may not interest a robot. :grin:
  • Brett

I need to see my comment in context. I don’t even recall when I made it.
  • Athena
    Interesting point, this is something I have considered. All the people I know who are sceptical of climate change, or the appropriate response to the warnings from climate scientists, are over 70 years of age. It is about 75% of them. All the people I know under the age of 70 are fully onboard with the agenda as suggested by Bitter Crank, for example. Notable are every person I know under 20 years of age.
    Indeed right across Europe, a young person who is sceptical on these issues is a great rarity. I expect, but don't know, that there are a portion of the younger age group in the US, who are sceptical for some reason. Is it the case do you think, that there is more scepticism on this in the US than elsewhere?
    29 days ago
    Options
    Punshhh

It depends on the children's education. In Oregon our schools are educating children about climate change and the children have become politically active.

Climate change and weather are not the same thing! Global warm is not about hot days, which would be about weather. Global warming is about climate, meaning that our planet is hotter then it was. The climate in which weather happens has changed. I don't think the average person gets that.
  • Brett

Lif3r
    ↪Brett it's probably a useful idea but the internet is the library of human knowledge. I feel like it is important but perhaps less than I assume.
    Lif3r

I see, now. I wasn’t really ignorant of how we got by without the internet. It was in response to the idea that the internet is the library of human knowledge and therefore essential.
  • Athena
    I see, now. I wasn’t really ignorant of how we got by without the internet. It was in response to the idea that the internet is the library of human knowledge and therefore essential.Brett

I think we need to understand how books are different from the internet. Come to think of it, what information would a robot find important? What motivation would a robot have for understanding humans? Technological information can be devoid of the humanities. Books are written for people interested in humanity. The quality of the books and therefore the culture, matters. The internet just isn't the same.
  • Lif3r
    Well I didn't say it's complete or organized, and I didn't say books aren't valuable, but to dismiss the sheer volume of information on the internet would be silly. I wouldn't say burn the books, and just the same I wouldn't say burn the internet.
  • alcontali
    Buy a gun.Lif3r

Humanity has never fought as lone individuals.

From the dawn of times, it has always been group against group. Individual fights ("random violence") are even considered unlawful in our fundamentally social species. If you want to fight with legitimacy, your fight will need to be "organized violence", i.e. "war".

In conflict, you will not face other, lone individuals. You will face entire groups. Therefore, you will be forced to join your own group. What will, however, be the principle of cohesion in your fighting group? Traditionally, humanity has always used extended-family ties for that purpose, i.e. clans or tribes.

A common religion may actually also be a sufficiently functional system of cohesion.

If you are not already member of such (virtual) clan/tribe, then by the time the shit hits the fan, it will be too late to develop the mutual trust required. In that case, you do not stand a snowball's chance in hell to survive violent conflict. Hence, I can only conclude that you are toast already.
  • Athena
    That appears to be a good explanation of the gang problem in some cities, the instinctual desire to belong and have status in the group.
  • Athena
    I can not imagine anyone dismissing the importance of information on the internet. My concern was the cultural importance of books, especially the classics , or as I mentioned books of government documents, and I didn't mean to attack what you said, but only to raise awareness of the importance of books and the difference in information found in books or on line. Books may be found on line and really I should put a copy of the 1917 National Education Association Conference on line and perhaps others books that raise awareness of schools being used to mobilize the US for WWI and WWII because I think that is important to our understanding of the development of education and cultural change. The internet is a wonderful tool, but how much thought are giving to the information and how it is presented and culture?
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.