• NOS4A2
    Recently Google claimedit had reached “Quantum Supremacy”, which is an important discussion in its own right.

The term “Quantum Supremacy” was coined in 2012 by John Preskill, a theoretical physicist at Caltech, to describe the point at which quantum computers can do things that classical computers cannot.

But the journal Nature took issue with the term because of its use of “supremacy”, suggesting the term “quantum advantage” be used instead. Some 13 scientists were co-signatories. They described their reasoning as such:

We consider it irresponsible to override the historical context of this descriptor, which risks sustaining divisions in race, gender and class. We call for the community to use ‘quantum advantage’ instead.

In our view, ‘supremacy’ has overtones of violence, neocolonialism and racism through its association with ‘white supremacy’. Inherently violent language has crept into other branches of science as well — in human and robotic spaceflight, for example, terms such as ‘conquest’, ‘colonization’ and ‘settlement’ evoke the terra nullius arguments of settler colonialism and must be contextualized against ongoing issues of neocolonialism.

Instead, quantum computing should be an open arena and an inspiration for a new generation of scientists.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03781-0

Stephen Pinker, himself not a fan of political correctness, mocked the article.

As to my own opinion I agree with Nature that quantum computing and science in general should be an open arena and an inspiration for a new generation of scientists, but agree with Pinker that this political correctness should be resisted, especially in the sciences, because it dumbs down the meaning of language. Euphemism distorts more than it clarifies.

Given that “political correctness” has been on the lips of pundits, politicians and writers for some time now, I think this raises a good discussion for philosophers because it extends to their own craft.

Obviously some people feel this way, or they wouldn’t make the suggestion. It’s easy to mock them but derision is usually unproductive. Their claim may very well be right that people would turn away from quantum computing because the term “supremacy” is uncomfortable. Perhaps it is important to be sensitive to their feelings in that respect so as to appear more welcoming. I also think it’s fair that any enterprise would prefer an inclusive public image and reputation.

Should Science be politically correct?
  • Baden

Science should be politically neutral, which is why scientific terms shouldn't have political overtones. If "supremacy" can be considered historically such a term or has recently developed into such a term, it would be sensible to avoid it, especially if doing so incurred no great cost or inconvenience. But of course, since your goal here is to politicize science under the guise of complaining about the politicization of science that answer will hardly satisfy you.
  • ssu
    Let's try to avoid making EVERYTHING a left vs right issue, NOS4A2.

And science IS politically neutral. Yes, they did it even in the Soviet Union as they did in liberal UK and US.

Anyway, even if the word "Quantum dominance" would trigger less foolishness, this is a typical nonsensical scaremongering to get more funds. The narrative is usually used in the China vs the US competition debate, where there is this outrageous claim that if China gets "Quantum Supremacy", they'll bury the US. That's why the term "supremacy".

I remember similar scares about Japan burying the US. And naturally the Soviet Union doing that with Sputnik.
  • Tzeentch
    The idea that something that is factually correct should be (self-)censored because it is not "politically correct", coupled with the idea that words are scary and dangerous, to me points towards an infantilization of the public discourse. I find the trend absolutely pathetic.
  • Baden

Well, this is exactly what @NOS4A2 wants. Let's use scientific objectivity (who could disagree with that!) to bash political correctness because one person wrote an article co-signed by hardly more than a dozen scientists suggesting there was a less political way to refer to a scientific term. Suddenly science is being infantilized! Hook, line, and sinker.

Anyway, my position is I couldn't care less one way or the other what they call it in this case. Retaining the term will change nothing important nor would replacing it as imo the political overtones are not strong enough to be concerned about. :yawn:
  • Tzeentch
    Clearly, I'm referring to a broader context.
  • Baden

Such as... ? Where's the broad PC attack on science that we need to worry about going on? The only serious attacks on science I'm aware of are from the right. And the idea that we should be worried about this shit when far-right think tanks are forever dreaming up new ways to deny climate change and nutty religious fanatics are trying to take biblical literalism mainstream is what's infantile or at least naive in the extreme. As is not realizing what @NOS4A2 is up to, but, sure, play along.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/15/united-nations-climate-talks-collapse-after-trump-shuns-paris-pact-085464
  • Tzeentch

Many scientists have voiced concerns over the way political correctness is affecting science, especially coupled with the system of peer review which, in its current form, is horribly flawed. I could link articles, but given your disposition I suspect that would be an exercise in futility. With a Google-search you'll be able to find them yourself.
  • Maw
    100% agree
  • Baden

My disposition is to show maximum contempt for @NOS4A2 complaining about the "dumbing down" of science over the suggested use of an alternative word for one scientific term by a tiny number of scientists for at the very worst a misguided reason when the willful stupidity on climate change and other scientific issues by the President he supports literally threatens lives. Anyway, it won't do to use that as an excuse not to back up your own position. Again, show me the broad infantilization of science caused by PC. I'm much more likely to listen to you than @NOS4A2.
  • Tzeentch
    When the idea is that people should be protected from facts, to avoid having their worldview shattered or their feelings hurt, I consider that infantilization. Similarly, I find it infantile for people to be offended by normal words.
  • Baden
    When the idea is that people should be protected from facts, to avoid having their worldview shattered or their feelings hurt, I consider that infantilization.Tzeentch

Agreed, but that doesn't apply in this case. There is no protection from "facts" in changing the word "supremacy" to "dominance" or whatever, there is only a change in connotation and tone. So, can you give me an example where a protection from scientific fact has been demanded, or even better, successfully demanded by proponents of PC?
  • khaled
    You can't be politically correct or incorrect when you're trying to describe nature. Politics has nothing to do with it. What you choose to call different terms isn't science in the first place, so I don't think your question fits your example. Changing the name of a term isn't science
  • Baden
    You can't be politically correct or incorrect when you're trying to describe nature. Politics has nothing to do with it. What you choose to call different terms isn't science in the first place, so I don't think your question fits your example. Changing the name of a term isn't sciencekhaled

This is along the lines of what I'm getting at; changing the name of a scientific term to something equally descriptive but less emotive or connotative is not a scientific issue and doesn't have any negative effect on science.
  • Tzeentch
    Take the example of the Canadian zoologist who was fired from her job for coming to the conclusion that polar bear populations have been steadily on the rise, contradicting the predictions made about polar bears going extinct as polar ice melts.
  • Baden

Where's your evidence she was fired for discovering a fact? Hint: You have none. But go on, try.
  • Tzeentch
    No scientific studies have been done on her, no.

I guess we have arrived at this game again. An exercise in futility as I suspected.
  • Baden

No, you're giving up for good reason.

"Crockford is a signatory of the International Conference on Climate Change's 2008 Manhattan Declaration,[12] which states that "Carbon dioxide and other 'greenhouse gas' emissions from human activity...appear to have only a very small impact on global climate," and "Global cooling has presented serious problems for human society and the environment throughout history while global warming has generally been highly beneficial."[13] Between at least 2011 and 2013, she received payment from The Heartland Institute, in the form of $750 per month"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_J._Crockford#Controversy

"The Heartland Institute is an American conservative and libertarian public policy think tank founded in 1984 and based in Arlington Heights, Illinois ... Since the 2000s, the Heartland Institute has been a leading promoter of climate change denial."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heartland_Institute

"After 15 years as an adjunct professor, University of Victoria did not renew her contract in May 2019, possibly for her climate change views."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_J._Crockford#Controversy

So, it's possible she was not renewed for being a climate-denying crank. Not surprising seeing as she was being bribed by climate change deniers and hadn't even had her supposed polar-bear studies peer-reviewed. So, no facts and not even any evidence she was let go because of those particular studies. Just right-wing spin.

Try again.
  • deletedusercb
    Should Science be politically correct?NOS4A2
    But it's not science. It's a way of describing a technological advance. To ask if science should be politically correct raises ideas like should people publish research results that have politically incorrect implications and the like.

Calling it supremacy or advantage is not a scientific issue. To decide to call it advantage is not damaging science. It is not inhibility research...

in fact it sounds more accurate.

It might be the top computer, in this way, now. But that's temporary.

I do think the reaction is also exaggerated. I don't think it matters much either way, frankly.

But P.C. is not interfering with science, but rather with the wording a company is using about its technological advance. A wording that does not give useful information.
  • ssu
    Such as... ? Where's the broad PC attack on science that we need to worry about going on? The only serious attacks on science I'm aware of are from the right.Baden
    I guess you didn't participate in the Decolonizing Science? thread. :wink:

Starting from taxonomic hierarchy, the rank below a subspecies is where the left goes all PC at an instant. Political correctness has made it that we avoid the whole term itself. Related to this is the age old question the role of genes versus learned traits, what is biological and what is social and learnt.

Then there's the leftist case against evolutionary psychology. If evolutionary psychology among other objectives looks to finding traits that have been shown to be universal in humans, it clashes head on to the question of what is universal for the species and what is dependent on cultural and particular historical circumstances.

And of course there is the assault against modifying plants and animals, even if we've been genetically modifying organisms for 10,000 years through breeding and selection.

Starting from the obvious examples of Lysenkoism, the left has as flagrantly as the (religious)right judged science based solely on political beliefs and ideology. Finally there's the whole dark pit of social sciences, which naturally are an open battleground for the left and the right. It's so bad that we make the separation between social sciences (and history) and the natural sciences.

science-for-the-people-lg.png

Certain kind of science or scientists are typically erroneously thought to have an opposing political agenda, hence both left and the right attack that specific scientific research or scientists with equal vigor. And both leftist and right-wing politicians would be all too happy if they can argue their opinions by saying "It is a scientific fact!".
  • Baden

Thank F someone is making an effort. I'll get back to you on this. At least it will take more than a thirty second Google search to refute.

(Just one point for now is that I don't equate the left with PC.)
  • ssu
    I'll give you fifteen, old timer.
  • Baden

Make that hours. It's nearly midnight here bud'. :lol:
  • ssu
    1:23 Am here. I'll have to sleep on this. Take your time. :yawn:
  • deletedusercb
    It's more like protected from PR from google. There is scientific fact or research being hidden and people are not being protected from findings, research data.

The issue is over whether a term describing a technological advance should have this adjective like noun or this other adjective like noun.

I think advantage is actually more accurate. I think the reaction by the anti-supremacy crowd are overly melodramatic.

No science is being suppressed or hidden, though.
  • quickly
    There are resurgent white supremacist movements across North American and Europe; white supremacists hold positions of power and influence in governments, police forces, militaries and corporations across those continents; white supremacists have systematically terrorized people of color and other minority groups for centuries. It seems reasonable, therefore, to find a substitute for the word "supremacy" provided that it distresses some non-trivial group of people victimized by white supremacy. This is common courtesy, not a manifestation of some pretended leftist assault on science. The real danger to scientific practice comes from the right (climate denialism, creationism, race science, etc.).
  • NOS4A2

It is science. “Quantum Supremacy” is a technical term in quantum computing. The word “supremacy” still has meaning outside the context of race and colonial studies.
  • Brett

My disposition is to show maximum contempt for NOS4A2 complaining about the "dumbing down" of scienceBaden

This is what he said.

because it dumbs down the meaning of language.NOS4A2

Language, not science.
  • NOS4A2

Political correctness and the use of euphemism in science has nothing to do with politics. Political correctness is reviled by both left and right.
  • NOS4A2

My point is that science should remain ideology-free and scientists should have free reign to use the words they see fit. The threat from the religious is well-known and hardly warrants discussion, but the threat from the post-modernists and constructivists is becoming more apparent.

The Sokal affair is an example, but also the cancelling of Nobel Laureate Timothy Hunt proves pressure can result in loss of employment and social ostracism.

Philosopher of Science Noretta Koertge wrote a wonderful article on this very topic and gives plenty more examples.

https://www.nas.org/blogs/dicta/political_correctness_in_the_science_classroom
  • Tzeentch
    Some Wikipedia pages. Very good.

I'm sure Crockford is a very dislikable person, but that doesn't make her wrong.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.