• 3017amen
    What made you say that, as I'm off base.

Sorry Wallows, I was confusing incompleteness with indeterministic phenomenon (i.e.; secret game of 20-questions- Wheeler's Cloud- from Paul Davies Book, The Mind of God).
  • Shawn
    2. Type 2 contradiction literally means whatever belief system you're operating from is logically flawed because it's impossible for all the statements that constitute it to be true at the same time. For instance imagine a belief system X composed of statements A, B, and C. If A, B and C are inconsistent with each other the conjunction A & B & C always evaluates to false, is a contradiction of type 2, which means X on the whole is a false belief system. Naturally, we have to discard X.TheMadFool

Then, how do you correct a faulty belief system, or how do you create one where these contradictions don't arise?
  • Baden
    You don't "solve" a contradiction.khaled

Yes, you solve paradoxes (apparent contradictions) not contradictions.
  • Harry Hindu
    But, what of differing or clashing values that don't correspond with any particular state of affairs in the world, necessarily?Wallows
    Values are subjective, not objective. Opposing objective facts would be a contradiction. Opposing values are not a contradiction because they arent about the same thing. Values exist only in our heads, so it is a category error to make them objective and therefore contradictory. We have goals that come into conflict, which is why it seems that our values are contradictory, but our values are based on our goals as individuals.

Saying that some thing is good while another says it is bad is not a contradiction because they are both talking about two different things - their own values, not the actual thing that they claim is good or bad.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet