• I like sushi
    Maybe I am getting confused with another forum, but I thought the general idea was to delete needlessly offensive remarks.

I flagged it twice btw? It wasn’t aimed at another member, but that isn’t the point for me. Vitriolic behavior, Lounge or otherwise, like that is surely not something we should encourage?

Just curious, because I believe I was pulled up about a far less vicious comment I once made and was told ‘expletives’ were generally deleted unless they were part of the discussion - I may be confusing forums (?); if so ignore this :)
  • Shawn
    :rage:
  • god must be atheist
    the general idea was to delete needlessly offensive remarks.I like sushi

Much needed offensive remarks, however, ought never to be deleted. (-:

For instance,

Your **** ou*** to make m* d*e*m ***e true. -- should be deleted.

**** coat **ght ** **** *y *r*a* com* ****. -- should not be deleted.

By-the-by: How do you capitalize a * when its introducing a sentence or a proper noun?
  • Artemis

I'd prefer it if we tried to monitor swearing here, personally, as I have yet to see an instance when it has not subtracted from the philosophical content. But I think the mods' and general consensus here is that it falls under free speech. So both in terms of heirarchy and democracy, you and I are outnumbered, Sushi.
  • DingoJones
    Swearing isnt the issue, its silly to be offended by swear words.
    If there is a problem, its rudeness/lack of etiquette.
    Take these two sentences:

“Your a good fucking guy Dingo”
    And
    “You are a worthless waste of everyones time”

The second one contains no swears, yet the first is the harmless statement.
  • I like sushi
    Just checking for double standards. Like I said, I may be mistaking a previous instance I was pulled up for on another forum.

I’ve no serious issue with swearing, it is more about the tone/context for me. The more I think about it maybe it was another site entirely.
  • Artemis

Beyond kind of objective criteria, like no swearing at people, or no posts filled with only swears, the mod decisions about what counts as too much or the wrong tone, etc. are rather subjective judgments. Plus between mods you get different sensibilities.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.