• Diagonal Diogenes
    Hello all,

I have been a long time occasional reader and philosophy enthusiast. Recently a theory has been formulating in the back of my mind, which finally crystallized when watching the last Eric Weinstein and Sam Harris debate.

It was incredible to watch both minds, which are both forming intellectual juggernauts of the "intellectual dark web", have such a difficult time even synchronizing relatively simple concepts and opinions as they relate to myriad current events, and watching from outside how their different frames of reference both provided unique perspectives but also chained them from being able to see the other point of view.

It is increasingly obvious that better operating definitions to words and concepts are needed to clarify discourse. A while ago, a Sam Harris podcast with Jordan Peterson devolved into an idiotic debate over the meaning of "TRUTH" which in my opinion was completely unnecessary.

In any case, I decided to start typing down my ideas to form them into something more cogent and would like get some feedback on the validity of the definitions I have created in order to differentiate the most egregious problem causers.

"Event: Something that happens in Reality Zero that we perceive.

Idea: A structured thought or concept relating to anything.

True Fact: a piece of information presented as having objective reality – independent of perspective:
    1+1 = 2

Fact: a piece of information agreed by a relevant variance of Reality Primes as being the same.

Fact Prime: a piece of information presented as having objective reality to “you” - subjective.

Fact Omega: a piece of information presented as having objective reality to “they” – subjective.

Fact Delta: The difference between Fact Primes.

Reality Zero: The theoretical underlying physical reality of any event that observers can never fully understand in its entirety or accuracy.

Primarily and literally, this is because we never directly perceive a Reality Zero event in our consciousness. Instead, we perceive events through our senses in forms such as light waves or sound, which may in turn be distorted by many degrees before our final perception.

Secondarily and figuratively, because in daily life, our perception of long distance events that affect our lives (news, sports, etc) are not experienced directly but through long chains of distortion that often include conscious decisions to alter or interpret an event – as such, our first person perception (Reality Prime) of a telecast event may be severely distorted from Reality Zero.

Thirdly, as signals of an event are perceived, our cognitive processes may impart our own personal biases and prior-understanding while making sense of an event into our own personal reality – Reality Prime.

Reality Prime: This is arbitrary name given to our individual understanding of reality. Because in our limited capabilities as temporal flesh beings we can only ever know what we perceive or derive from our perception, our realities are always subjective.
    It is important to always be aware that there is a difference between Reality Primes of each individual – this is called Reality Delta.

Reality Omega: The reality as understood by any second individual to avoid confusion. It is important to always be cognizant that Reality Prime (yours) is always different than Reality Omega (theirs) by some non-zero difference (Reality Delta).

It may come to the surprise of many that one person’s understanding is never exactly the same as anyone else’s. This is why it is important to establish parameters of belief when discussing anything to understand the inherent Reality Delta so as to avoid or bridge gaps in understanding. For example, the word [dog] while simple may evoke wildly different concepts.
    Person A: [elegant and gentle Dalmatians playing in a park].
    Person B: [violent Pitbull mauling their pet cat when they were a child].
    Person C: [4 legged furry mammals commonly kept as a pet].

As such, nothing is simple – now extrapolate the confusion in understating when the word “Trump” is mentioned. Now to really start to grasp the scale of our reality dysfunction, think of how all the Reality Deltas between Reality Primes - where there could be an N number of individual points of view perceiving an event - cause confusion, misunderstandings and outright failures of understanding.

A simple tweet of a few words, with a narrow variance in dictionary meaning, may have wildly different Reality Primes created upon reading of the words.

Belief: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief

Belief as it relates to this topic refers to individual true or false evaluations of any idea, event or fact.
    Usually, the belief state of each individual is evaluated or decided based on each specific Reality Prime.

As we are well aware, since every Reality Prime is unique and depends on subjective experience, individuals will hold belief states accordingly, which may result in the case that Person A believes in God, and Person B does not. Both are internally correct according to their own Reality Prime logic."

I apologize if somehow I missed something obvious that I should be aware of, and am yet not. If you recognize this line of thought from someone that has already done the work, any pointers to such work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Galuchat
    In any case, I decided to start typing down my ideas to form them into something more cogent and would like get some feedback on the validity of the definitions I have created in order to differentiate the most egregious problem causers.Diagonal Diogenes

My own definition of the same, or similar, terms relate to the domain of human mind and its ontological presuppositions. So they take into consideration:
    1) Common meanings/usage in Cognitive Psychology, Metaphysics, and Philosophy of Mind.
    2) Etymology.
    3) General, or other, definitions (where a word has equivocal usage).

In the following, nested definitions are contained in parentheses and synonyms occur after semi-colons.

Event: temporal extension (occupation).

Idea: component or product of thinking; thought.
    Product: particular (actuality token) which is produced (generated).
    Thinking: intuition and/or cogitation.

Truth: correctness.

Fact: perceived particular.
    Perception: sensation (stimulation-response) mental effect.

Reality: spatial and/or temporal extension; actuality, existence.

Belief: attitude which accepts a proposition as true.
    Attitude: positive (favourable), negative (unfavourable), or conflicted (ambivalent) evaluation.
    Proposition: factual or logical (pertaining to reasonable or computational principles) statement which may be true or false.
  • I like sushi
    Immanuel Kant - Critic of Pure Reason.

It’s heavy weight stuff, but if you really want to establish the kind of lexicon used in this sort of discussion that is a place to start. Unfortunately it is not something you can ‘read up on’ overnight. Tackling it seriously would take a year, merely reading the words won’t do much as you have to think while reading.

Note: You could easily supplant some of your terms with philosophical perspectives like ‘physicalism’, ‘empiricism’, and ‘idealism’. Good luck :)
  • Diagonal Diogenes
    My own definition of the same, or similar, terms relate to the domain of human mind and its ontological presuppositions. So they take into consideration:
    1) Common meanings/usage in Cognitive Psychology, Metaphysics, and Philosophy of Mind.
    2) Etymology.
    3) General, or other, definitions (where a word has equivocal usage).

In the following, nested definitions are contained in parentheses and synonyms occur after semi-colons.
    Galuchat

I can see that you have spent some time thinking about the definitions, which is demonstrated by the refinement:
    Idea: component or product of thinking; thought.
    Product: particular (actuality token) which is produced (generated).
    Thinking: intuition and/or cogitation.
    Galuchat

This will help me better structure my own definitions.

Also, I will borrow from your own clear definitions of belief, attitude and proposition, and expand on proposition as a parallel component of thinking that continuously runs while evaluating perception as a means to maintain and build upon "Reality Prime".

Meaning, depending on owns per-existing attitude towards something being witnessed/perceived in real runtime, it may affect the weight given to a "preposition" and as such the mind assigns a belief state (true or false).

For example: If one has a predisposition to consider anything "Trump" in a negative light, it is very likely the mind will severely negatively weight any "fact" experienced as it relates to "Trump". This would be an inherent bias.

Immanuel Kant - Critic of Pure Reason.

It’s heavy weight stuff, but if you really want to establish the kind of lexicon used in this sort of discussion that is a place to start. Unfortunately it is not something you can ‘read up on’ overnight. Tackling it seriously would take a year, merely reading the words won’t do much as you have to think while reading.

Note: You could easily supplant some of your terms with philosophical perspectives like ‘physicalism’, ‘empiricism’, and ‘idealism’. Good luck :)
    I like sushi

I will look into acquiring a physical copy to read it at convenient times and think on it as a running theme (New Year's resolution).

I will also go and learn more about your suggested terms.

Thank you both for the feedback.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.