• I like sushi
    This is a little strange and curious to see what faults lie within it ignoring the practicality of applying such an idea in reality.

This is more of a thought experiment and an exploration of positives and negatives NOT a realistic proposal

Simply put, how about setting up a scheme where people only receive pay on a week on week off basis. In this sense paid labour will be more readily distributed so every job today would be divided between two people.

This is most applicable to manufacturing rather than other areas of work - an obvious problem. It would be impossible to impose such restrictions on people whose work is never immediately paid (an artist ir designer). For labour it would be required that people halt paid labour (contracted to week on week off) 50% of the time. This doesn’t mean you can stop them from taking part in endeavors that have a ‘long term’ value in terms of selling their own private produce.

I got to wondering about this idea because it would probably help a large section of society to take part in private activities simply for personal pleasure, but also as a means to profit from their passions. Would this effectively create a world fo freelancing where longterm contracts were disposed of or is there a possibility of this scheme working and effectively doubling employment.

Note: I am not looking at the practicality of this idea. Meaning it is quite obvious that such a scheme is open to exploitation. Assuming the system isn’t massively abused what other problems or benefits can you imagine arising.

Thanks
  • Brett

This sounds like an emphasis on leisure time. Have you read "In Praise of Idleness" by Bertrand Russell? There was also some debate once about job sharing. It's interesting that there's so little public discussion these days about leisure time. Now it's jobs jobs jobs.

Edit: I have personally seen evidence of people developing opportunities for themselves in their leisure time when they work a few days a week and make an income from it.
  • I like sushi
    Never read it. Thanks for the ref., hope I can find a free pdf somewhere to skim through.
  • Brett

Assuming the system isn’t massively abused what other problems or benefits can you imagine arising.I like sushi

I imagine a lot more people investing their time in things that give them pleasure and satisfaction. It’s not hard to imagine the knock-on effects of that. What the consequences of having a smaller income are I’m not sure? Quite a lot of money is invested in having a job, transport, clothes, etc.
  • ovdtogt
    It used to be, once we had put food on the table it was leisure time. That is when we lived in the Garden of Eden. Once you start destroying God's garden and planting your own that is when you start living by the sweat of your brow.
  • Brett

Leisure time is a difficult thing. We love our weekends and we love the public holidays. It gives us a chance to indulge in our private lives, which generally takes second place to our public life. Family and friends seem to come together more naturally in this extra time. With more time we seem to be able to balance our priorities more effectively. But anecdotal evidence suggests a problem for many retirees with the amount of time on their hands. It’s a similar situation for those on unemployment, though the circumstances have different consequences.

People seem to need something, maybe a challenge, which work supplies. Youths without direction tend to get into trouble, work, even though they might resent it, at least creates a sense of purpose.

So let’s assume only a small percentage of the population take up this leisure time and successfully turn it into an occupation that fulfils them and creates some sort of income. Where would they stand in society, how would they be viewed by the rest, as someone lucky, someone talented and exceptional, or even a separate class to be valued differently than everyone else?
  • ovdtogt

Play without work very soon stops being playful.
  • Brett

You’ve just repeated what I said.
  • ovdtogt
    Well there you go. Just 1 sentence would have sufficed then.
  • Pfhorrest
    If people didn’t need to work for survival, there’s all kind of volunteer work that could be done for some sense of purpose and something to do. And I don’t mean like soup kitchen volunteering necessarily, just doing work on creative projects for free on your own schedule just because it’s something you want to see happen and want to be a part of. And even if most people aren’t creative enough to come up with things to do themselves, a handful of creative people can easily come up with tons of things they could use help with, for which everyone else could volunteer as they like.

I have first hand experience with this in a video game fandom where I started a project that was too big for me to handle on my own and welcomed anyone else’s help with it and for decades now have “employed” dozens of volunteer creative people of all types in collaboratively creating a work of love that’s now one of the biggest things in that community.

I have a bunch of other projects that I would love to do similar things with, I just don’t know how to find the right community to help with them. My philosophy book is one of them (and I have vague aspirations that a community like this one might someday be of use in a future version of that), and I also have an absolutely enormous multipart work of fiction outlined (in 60k words just for the outline) that would take me 30 years just to novelize myself but I would ideally have a huge multi-media work of music, visual art, film, etc (the origins of the story are backstories from abandoned video game projects from over two decades ago). I could easily “employ” an army of volunteers for an entire lifetime fleshing just that project out, if there were people with the time to contribute and I had the time to manage them all. And that’s all just me, one creative person. I’ve met lots of other people with similarly big dreams that could use just as many hands realizing them.
  • Brett

Would this effectively create a world fo freelancing where longterm contracts were disposed of or is there a possibility of this scheme working and effectively doubling employment.I like sushi

If the scheme has as it primary purpose creating more employment then I think there’s a problem when you begin the scheme by reducing employment, i.e. week on, week off employment. But part of it does remind me of the people who once travelled across the country reading poetry to people who probably couldn’t read and had never heard of such things, and performing plays outdoors, or minstrels singing about love and loss, and all of them earning a small income from it while they spread something beneficial across the land.
  • Brett

I could easily “employ” an army of volunteers for an entire lifetime fleshing just that project out, if there were people with the time to contribute and I had the time to manage them all.Pfhorrest

The problem is that whatever opportunities exist for people they’re still in need of an income, and it has to be a real income, not subsidised by government.

If they worked week on, week off, they lose half their income.
  • Pfhorrest
    That post was in response to someone saying that people need work to keep them busy, even if they don't need the income. I agree people need the income, and this half on/half off scheme would leave them needing it even more. But if the income was somehow taken care of, this "people need work to keep them busy" thing wouldn't be a problem, because there's plenty of stuff people need help with if they don't have to be billionaires to pay people to help them with it because people are just bored and looking for projects to volunteer on.
  • ovdtogt
    The problem with life is that I can't continue sleeping.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.