• Bartricks
    That's true, if one holds that truth and usefulness count as properties then the terms "truth" and "usefulness" are used as a means to denote different properties.creativesoul

No, it is just true. You can 'hold' whatever you want, that isn't going to make usefulness and truth denote the same property.

Not all powers of reason lead to that...creativesoul

Yes, some people can't reason very well. They can reason well enough to locate sandwiches and push them into their face every so often, but not well enough to gain insight into trickier questions, such as "what is truth". There's a technical word for them that rhymes with poo squid.
  • BrianW
    The language around energy and ‘doing work’ disguises the reality that energy is not exactly caused, but rather manifests from its own potential in relation to the potential of interacting events.Possibility

I think we have the same idea but are expressing it differently. I claimed that the principle of cause and effect and the principle of energy (vibration) are all-inclusive to all components of reality. That meant that they were fundamental to reality. In short, reality is energy. And, reality is cause and effect.
    Energy is cause and effect - That which causes is energy. That which is effected is energy. The only difference is perspective. Fundamentally, all absolutes are identical. Cause and effect is primarily a perspective with regard to activity. Energy is primarily a perspective with regard to force. Both force and activity are integral to reality.

Also, NOTHING IS BEYOND SPACE AND TIME. If anything exists then it must have form (a configuration), force (influence) and activity. Where there's form, space is inevitable; where there's activity, time (relativity) is inevitable. And because form and activity are fundamental to reality, space and time are inescapable.

Nothing (implying no thing or lack of anything) is a misnomer with respect to identity (existence). We can't deny the existence of something which we constantly affirm. Words like nothing are mental constructs we use for comparative thinking. They are mental mirror-images of what we reflect upon. Nothing (or no thing) is mental slang for inverted/reversed thing-ness.
  • ovdtogt
    A belief that may be false can be known to be false.
    — Bartricks

Not all belief can be falsified. So, not all belief that may be false can be known to be.
    creativesoul

Bartricks has problems with the English language. I suggest he take up knitting as a hobby.
  • ovdtogt
    Clarifying what Buddhists believe, for instance, does not serve to justify those beliefs.Bartricks
    And a clarification [can] serve the same purpose as a justification.
    You can clarify what you believe in and what you disbelieve. You can use clarification as a justification for your beliefs.
    I have no idea why I am getting a line through my text.
  • ovdtogt
    That's true, if one holds that truth and usefulness count as properties then the terms "truth" and "usefulness" are used as a means to denote different properties.
    — creativesoul
    Bartricks

Yes 'usefulness' is a property of truth.If the 'truth' does not contain 'usefulness'(i.e information) it can not be considered 'truth'.
    Usefulness is a property of information.

Unless a statement contains information, it is totally meaningless and does not contain truth.
    Truth without information has no value and therefor can not be truth.
    Truth without information is not truth.
  • Possibility
    I think we have the same idea but are expressing it differently. I claimed that the principle of cause and effect and the principle of energy (vibration) are all-inclusive to all components of reality. That meant that they were fundamental to reality. In short, reality is energy. And, reality is cause and effect.
    Energy is cause and effect - That which causes is energy. That which is effected is energy. The only difference is perspective. Fundamentally, all absolutes are identical. Cause and effect is primarily a perspective with regard to activity. Energy is primarily a perspective with regard to force. Both force and activity are integral to reality.
    BrianW

I’m not sure that we do, though. While I agree that energy and cause and effect constitute a four-dimensional aspect of reality, I would argue that there is more to reality than this, and that there is more to these principles than the concepts of ‘energy’ or ‘cause and effect’ describe.

Also, NOTHING IS BEYOND SPACE AND TIME. If anything exists then it must have form (a configuration), force (influence) and activity. Where there's form, space is inevitable; where there's activity, time (relativity) is inevitable. And because form and activity are fundamental to reality, space and time are inescapable.BrianW

I would say that if anything exists then it has form, activity and/OR influence. Energy, for instance, has activity without form. Potential energy has influence with neither activity nor form. Likewise, cause and effect have activity without form, but will has influence with neither activity nor form. And both potential energy and will exist and have influence outside time, enabling us to predict, imagine and initiate activity.
1910111213Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.