• khaled
    As the title says, I just want to know if anyone has any recommendations in this topic. I only recently started dabbling in Eastern philosophy and was wondering if there were any must reads on the topic. I'm especially interested in Daoism and Zen (don't think the latter counts as a philosophy but I'm interested nonetheless)
  • armonie
    、もっと素敵
  • Pantagruel
    Definitely the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, as suggested. I would suggest getting the "Portable World Bible" and reviewing the source texts of the various major eastern religions there. Great book to own. The Bhagavad-gita is excellent. "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines" I found enjoyable. Also one called "Yoga and Psychotherapy". "Tibetan Book of the Dead".
  • Ying
    As the title says, I just want to know if anyone has any recommendations in this topic. I only recently started dabbling in Eastern philosophy and was wondering if there were any must reads on the topic. I'm especially interested in Daoism and Zen (don't think the latter counts as a philosophy but I'm interested nonetheless)khaled

For daoism:

-"I Ching".
    -"Daodejing".
    -"Liezi".
    -"Zhuangzi".

There also are the "Wunengzi" and the "Huahujing", but I don't consider those to be "must reads". There also is a documentary series on Youtube called "Wudang Mountains - Cradle of Taoism", which is about religious daoism. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHcd6JRba7QueJHpCTUC1Wc9NnFvpRcV-

For zen:

-"Shobogenzo" by Dogen Zenji.
    -""The Unfettered Mind" by Takuan Soho.
    -"Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.