• Shawn
    It seems to me that, apart from the individualism that existentialism propounds, there's something more that can be gleaned from existentialism. Namely, the problem of existence, which Schopenhauer perhaps first formulated in the following:

When you consider how great and how immediate is the problem of existence, this ambiguous, tormented, fleeting, dreamlike existence - so great and so immediate that as soon as you are aware of it overshadows and obscures all other problems and aims; and when you then see how men, with a few rare exceptions, have no clear awareness of this problem, indeed seem not to be conscious of it all, but concern themselves with anything rather than with this problem and live on taking thought only for the day and for the hardly longer span of their own individual future, either expressly refusing to consider this problem or contenting themselves with some system of popular metaphysics; when, I say, you consider this, you may come to the opinion that man can be called a thinkking being only in a very broad sense of that term and no longer feel very much surpise at any thoughtlessness or silliness whatever, but will realize, rather, that while the intellectual horizon of the normal man is wider than that of the animal - whose whole existence is, as it were, one continual present, with no consciousness of past or future - it is not so immeasurably wider as is generally supposed. — Aphorisms, On Thinking for Yourself, 12

It seems to me as a natural progression in thought is to treat life as sacred, and due to this one ought to promote the gift of life to future generations, contrary to what some assume as antinatalism on Schopenhauer's part.

Delving a little more deeply into the realm of existentialism, then we seem to be confided to assume that life is indeed sacred, and instead of denying someone the right to life, we ought to ensure that their life is as comfortable as possible, within reasonable means. This is where I diverge from antinatalists and assume that since life is so unique and precious, that is, in a universe that seems cold and indifferent, that we ought to really care about others instead of our own sentiments.

Perhaps, this is a unique reading of Schopenhauer, but, I feel that it is right.

Thoughts?
  • khaled
    I don't see anything wrong with your reading or with the conclusion that one would treat life as sacred as a result. What I do have a problem with is saying that not having children is "denying" someone this sacred life. Who exactly are you "denying" something from? They don't even exist. If not having children is denying someone this sacred life and if that's wrong somehow then doesn't this mean one HAS to have as many children as humanly possible?
  • OmniscientNihilist
    n a universe that seems cold and indifferent, that we ought to really care about others instead of our own sentiments.Wallows

caring about others is run by the subconscious mind, therefore you have no control over it

your not in a universe. the universe is not outside you, or around you, or out there somewhere. its here now. walk into a grocery store and behold the bounty of the caring universe! haha
  • Noble Dust

"Life is sacred". Claims like these feel supra-rational; i.e., rationality actually has nothing to say about such a claim, because it can't, via it's own rules. The claim functions above rational thought. For life to be sacred, it needs to be other than rational. And it certainly is so. This feels like a good beginning point.

Not much, sorry @Wallows; I know you requested a response from me on this topic. And I know I brought in rationality on my own, there.

I guess a natural rebuff to my post would be "why begin with 'sacred' as a concept"? And I would counter, "why begin anywhere else?" I'm a true existentialist, I guess...
  • OmniscientNihilist
    define sacred.

and even if life is sacred it could possibly be said that it is both sacred and trash.

and it could possibly also be said that trash is also sacred.

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” ― Albert Einstein

or both together at the same time.

both and instead of either or
  • Noble Dust

Edit, nevermind, I see he was banned.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.