• Enrique
    Hey guys, I'd like to get your opinions on a possible application of quantum mechanics in explaining subjective experience. This theory is drawn from a book that came out recently, and it seems convincing to me, but introspection is a slippery, highly deceptive topic. Tell me if you think these ideas make intuitive sense, or if you disagree in some way, it would be interesting to get an elaboration of why.

Up to this point, it has seemed that quantum phenomena are exceedingly sensitive to incoming energy, so even the slightest increase in entropy can produce decoherence, converting a system into the more familiar form of self-contained jostling particles combining and separating at rates determined by three-dimensional structure. Hypothesizing claims quantum biology is in need of a thermodynamic buffer shielding its actions from even most molecular-scale forces, which directs the search for its presence to very specific chemical components of even large macromolecules, particularly anywhere that individual protons, electrons or other charged particles are relatively free to shift across some kind of gap, such as between atoms.

One possible instance of a biologically active quantum occurrence is the fast triplet reaction. An electron in an outer atomic orbital paired with its partner of opposite spin is so to speak knocked or drawn out of position into another atom due to the peculiar orientation of these atoms to each other. Even after this happens, the newly positioned electron remains quantum entangled with its former mate, and electromagnetic force is also exerted on it by its new partner, in which state it is in a superposition putting it into a statistical percentage of same spin with each, a highly unstable formation that can be driven out of its wavering tension by tiny quantities of energy. When this type of reaction exists upstream of biochemical pathways in key cells, its effects might be magnified by the molecular flow it instigates, engendering an exquisite sensitivity of organic processes to the environment.

A fast triplet reaction was found by molecular biologists at a particular site in a blue light sensitive pigment called cryptochrome present throughout the animal kingdom within many different cell types and body parts, and was almost simultaneously identified in the eyes of European robins and the antennae of the monarch butterfly based on collaboration with field biologists. These two instances came to the heightened attention of biochemists because it was apparent that the cryptochrome reaction is sensitive enough to respond to the earth’s magnetic field, a vanishingly small energy source, supplying a possible perceptual means of managing long range migrations. Through a fortunate set of events the camps joined forces, discussing each other’s research projects and pinning down cryptochrome as a likely candidate for stimulating magnetically-induced qualia in transient species. Cryptochrome and similar molecules in additional organs also have a plausible adaptive role for making organisms sensitive to the magnetic charge of approaching storm fronts and other natural events, allowing them as everyone notices to find shelter far in advance. Statistical math, conceptual modeling and chemistry experiments with a bioactive molecule have, along with ongoing fact-gathering about the natural world and interdisciplinary efforts, set modeling on course for novel mechanistic understanding down to the atomic level of some core perceptual phenomena previously untouched by science.

Also in the initiatory theoretical stages is quantum theory’s promise for clarifying the workings of human consciousness. It has been known for decades that nerve cells function by voltage conductance down their length as ions are transported through the axon's cell membrane in a directional sequence of ion channels, stimulating the release of neurotransmitters into the synaptic clefts between axon terminals and dendrites as well as between dendrites, where neurons intersect. A well-founded model, but as in the case of enzyme activity, the process happens too fast to be explained in the standard way, as spherical particles incrementally ferried through a three-dimensional rate bottleneck. It is also unclear how qualia with their subjectively experienced causal effects can exist at all in association with averred bare, traditional chemistry, resulting in a persistently advocated dichotomy of mind and matter in our modeling of the central nervous system.

Accounts have ranged all the way from consciousness as an accidental byproduct of the brain, supervenient on matter, with consciousness’ apparent causality being an illusion, at most a certainty-bolstering epiphenomenon of perceived free will, to awareness as fundamental to the universe and matter nestled within it, the corporeal world essentially being a perception. Philosopher Rene Descartes proposed the pineal gland as the point of intersection between mental and material, physicist Roger Penrose offered that gap junctions connecting brain cells might abet a synthesizing mechanism of qualia production, but contemporary quantum biology presages a superior model, though tests are still forthcoming.

Those versed in quantum mechanics find it likely that the extremely rapid rate of turnover in the ion flow cycle of nerve cells necessitates that these ions take the form of a tunneling wavicle as they enter and leave cells through transport channels. Rather than being seized as localized mass by some kind of membrane machinery and moved or coaxed with electromagnetic charge through a medium of three dimensions, they probably undergo higher-dimensional, near instantaneous tunneling into and out of the cell, along with a complementary wavicle afflux down longitudinal transport chains internal to the axon that bust through the rate barriers of diffusion. Along the length of the axon's interior, diffusion alone between ion transport nodes would require fourteen days, yet transduction of the total signal comes to pass in milliseconds, so obviously something much more potent is at work.

In this quantum state, ionic motion may be acutely responsive to minute inputs of energy, just as in the fast triplet reaction, and the electromagnetic field of the brain as registered by EEG machines may be such an energy source. If brain waves linked to states of awareness can in fact impact ion channels and perhaps additional quantum-scale facets of the biochemistry of brain and nervous system, this may go a long way towards explaining how qualia seem both supervenient and causal, with subjective consciousness being describable or at least much more predictable in terms of energy field/quantum mechanical interactions. Maybe we would gain the ability to say what something such as ‘color perception’ or ‘stream of consciousness’ is at the cellular level, and the dubious view that professes a paucity of function for the pervasive phenomenon of qualia would be overcome.

What do you guys think of this?
  • Gnomon
    This theory is drawn from a book that came out recentlyEnrique
    Hi, Enrique. What book is that?

It is also unclear how qualia with their subjectively experienced causal effects can exist at all in association with averred bare, traditional chemistry, resulting in a persistently advocated dichotomy of mind and matter in our modeling of the central nervous system.Enrique
    I'm not qualified to comment on the quantum physics of "fast triplets". But with my general understanding of the quantum realm, I still don't see the connection between "sensitivity of organic processes to the environment" and consciousness of those sensations. Navigating birds may use "triplets" to sense the magnetic field as a pulling force, but the question remains whether they are consciously aware of the field, or of its significance as a navigation aid. It could be like a horse going in the direction the bridle is pulled, without awareness of where or why the rider wants to go that way.

to awareness as fundamental to the universe and matter nestled within itEnrique
    My own thesis of Enformationism postulates that raw information (energy), but not processed information (consciousness), is fundamental to the universe. Yet the transformation from meaningless pushes and pulls to meaningful ideas is still the "hard problem". All I can say is that the mental "process" may convert impersonal data into subjective significance, in the sense that the brain "computes" meaning from mathematics (data). The mechanics of that "act or process of enformation" are beyond me.

how qualia seem both supervenient and causalEnrique
    Aye. There's the rub. Terrance Deacon, in Incomplete Nature, also explores possible quantum effects -- as opposed to ordinary macro thermodynamics -- on the interpretation of "thingness" (tokens) into "aboutness" (meaning). But like me, he is left to guess about the details of that strange form of "causation". Imagining the universe and brain as quantum computers may be a step in the right direction, but there is still a dark "dichotomy" between objective reality and subjective experience. Whitehead's "prehension" may be somehow connected to "comprehension" via Entanglement, but I don't know how that would work in detail. So Consciousness remains a mystery, unless you assume that there is Entention behind Causation. Which is my solution. :cool:

Entention : causation plus direction;
    Enformation : the power to give Form to the formless, meaning to the meaningless; EnFormAction
    Incomplete Nature : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incomplete_Nature
  • armonie
    ったはずの物語
  • Gnomon
    The brain computes, it sounds like a theory of systems, therefore, we return to the above, mechanistic reductionism.armonie

Any natural explanation will take the form of a mechanism or system. But not necessarily a reductio ad absurdum (i.e. a "turtles all the way down" explanation). A systems theory is holistic, not reductive.
  • armonie
    の可能性は次々
  • Gnomon
    Define holistic.armonie
    Holistic : characterized by comprehension of the parts of something as intimately interconnected and explicable only by reference to the whole.
    In this case, the whole universe, including any entention behind its causation.
  • OmniscientNihilist

big complicated explanation trying to bamboozle the mind into belief

people try the same bullshit with the big bang coming from nothing, and for how time travel is possible, etc.. etc..

all 3 are impossible.

brain cannot create consciousness
    universe cannot come from nothing
    you cant travel through time
  • armonie
    えたときには映画
  • SophistiCat
    Most of the time, we don't have to worry about quantum mechanics at scales much larger than subatomic: we use more coarse-grained, classical models, such as Newtonian particle or continuous mechanics, chemistry, cell biology, etc. The only times when QM is relevant at larger scales is (a) instrumentation developed specifically to amplify quantum-scale phenomena to human scale, so that we can detect and measure them (e.g. Geiger counter, cloud chamber), or (b) when coarse-grained models prove to be inadequate and the only way to address the problem is to fine-grain all the way to the quantum scale.

The two examples that you cite - the physiological magnetic compass in birds and (hypothesized) quantum effects in neurobiology - are of the latter variety: they are fine-grained mechanisms that would better explain coarse-grained phenomena. What I don't see though is a straight link to "qualia," which is just a fancy label for a fuzzy folk intuition. I think that before we can hypothesize QM explanations for qualia, we need to better analyze and instrumentalize this notion - if that is at all possible, which remains a contentious question as of today.
  • deletedmemberMD
    Due to the timing of some of my other reading I am (Again) having to re-examine my beliefs about quantum mechanics. Someone just tossed a quantum coin into the mix and yet again the counter-inuitive and probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics is taking my brain for a rough ride. I never thought I'd ever have to realistically use the phrase Subjective Facts but quantum mechanics has somehow managed to do even that and now the only question I want to know the answer to is; How in the hell a subjective microverse creates an objective macroscaled one when apparently everything has the potential to be an observer? Quantum mechanics is absolutely maddening to me sometimes. One minute you think you're getting the hang of the backwards logic and boom! Dizzy punch from QM and a man is down for another round.
  • Gnomon
    "A systems theory is holistic, not reductive."

This is not always the case, biology, for example, I cannot explain through a theory of systems a genetic mutation or a structural dysymmetry.armonie
    That's because a mutation is, by definition, a random accident. There is no cause & effect mechanism. But, when you combine Mutation and Selection, you get the holistic systematic mechanism of Evolution. Randomness is not a thing, but a quality or property of a system.

Mutation merely shuffles the deck, and Selection picks a card, but not at random. Evolutionary selection is based on fitness criteria (laws?). So, in order to understand how evolution works, you have to consider both the freedom of randomness and the determinism of natural laws. Together they have created everything in the universe, including both Quanta and Qualia.

The problem with objective reductive Science is that it typically ignores the subjective Quality side of the equation. But holistic philosophical theories can at least suggest possible paths from Matter to Mind. And the "maddening" non-sense of the mis-named, Quantum "Mechanics", leaves a lot of room for informed speculation. Which may suggest a different approach for finding a new kind of non-local "mechanism", such as quantum tunneling.
  • Enrique
    The book is Life on the Edge, The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology. Its a really simple read and very enlightening. It talks about how quantum ideas are being applied and corroborated in many areas of experimental biochemistry. The foundational concept is that subatomic particles, ions, and even small atoms intrinsically have a quantum form in isolation, a diffuse wavicle that can tunnel across relatively large distances nearly instantaneously, adopt multiple causal "phase states" simultaneously, morph in response to thermodynamically negligible amounts of energy, and more weird phenomena. Thermodynamic chemistry is the epiphenomenon: as millions of atoms collide and jostle for position, this cancels out their delicate quantum properties so that they can be modelled as three-dimensional particles. The main thesis is that cellular chemistry is a combination of thermodynamic substrate in the form of relatively macroscopic cells and tissues with pockets of quantum processes shielded from decoherence as naturally selected functionality. This paradigm suggests explanations for many key facets of biology - photosynthesis, the improbable evolution of replicators, enzyme catalysis, and more - and has so far been supported by every derivative laboratory experiment.

The idea of brain wave/ion channel interactions is an extension of this paradigm, a hypothesis that while thermodynamics is resistant to electromagnetic fields, a huge assortment of evolutionarily selected quantum processes in cells of the nervous system and throughout the body are not. We're talking trillions and trillions of quantum "pockets". This might allow us to fashion a working model of the mind/matter complex, whether it be biochemical "hardware" running EMF "software", or some multifarious variation on this theme. It seems probable that the relevance of quantum physics to chemistry in general will increase as we discover more and more of these loci of quantum behavior in all kinds of everyday material forms, even if we at the same time debunk the new-agey "awareness is the foundation of reality" notion. The really cool possibility is gaining the ability to better model phenomena such as near teleportation of quantum particles and more using higher-dimensional math while we reverse engineer the dynamics of their existence in the natural world, then finding ways to harness this realm with technologies, very sci-fi! If you want a brief synopsis of some additional material from the book, I can supply it.
  • Edmund
    I know something of Penrose in this context better seen in conjunction with Stuart Hameroff. Penrose does seek a "third way" between the macro and microscopic world. I think you need to understand his vision across the disciplines. His closest related view is of the gravity induced collapse of the wave function. Happy to elucidate. Hope this helps?
  • Enrique

Explain these collapse of the wave function shenanigans, seems key to understanding quantum theory...
  • Gnomon
    The book is Life on the Edge, The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology.Enrique
    I haven't read that book, but a couple of years ago, I read Quantum Evolution : LIfe In the Multiverse, by Johnjoe McFadden. It was more about big picture Evolution and Cosmology than about the details of Biology. In that book he asked a provocative question : " is there a force of will behind evolution?". And answered in the affirmative.

This was right down my alley, because my own Cosmological thesis postulates a combination of Energy & Information that I call EnFormAction. Metaphorically, I described it as equivalent to the "Will of God", creating the world incrementally in the process of Evolution (Emergence). This non-random "force" is also the essence of Energy & Matter, and its expression emerges from the "virtual" foundation of the Quantum Field, and continues in a succession of Phase Transitions right on up to the unpredictable emergence of Life and Mind from lifeless energy and mindless matter.

"It is at the root of consciousness and free-will and provides a new understanding of the origins of life and the purpose of death." https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0006551289/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

The EnFormAction Hypothesis : http://bothandblog3.enformationism.info/page23.html
  • Gnomon
    Explain these collapse of the wave function shenanigans, seems key to understanding quantum theory...Enrique
    "Collapse of the wave function" is a graphic metaphor for Emergence Theory and Phase Transitions on the quantum level of reality. And both of those are involved in the transformation of a collection of parts into a whole with new properties of its own.

Emergence : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Phase Transitions : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_transition
  • armonie
    の形はたっ
  • Gnomon
    unpredictable emergence (Gnomon)
    Sounds like chaos.
    armonie
    In a state of superposition, a virtual (potential) particle is essentially in chaos (nowhere, nowhen), but then it suddenly emerges from that unreal state with a measurable position and velocity -- like the Starship Enterprise emerging from hyperspace. Apparently, quantum particles are sprung like mousetraps by nosy scientists probing in the fog. Scary and spooky.

A macro scale phase transition may be similar to a quantum level phenomenon, such as quantum tunneling, where a particle suddenly appears on the other side of a barrier without passing through the space in between. FWIW, I like to think of Quantum Fields and Chaos as Eternity/Infinity : no time, no space, no particles -- only potential. :smile:
  • armonie
    定づけられ
  • Enrique

This "only potential" sounds like a combination of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche's concept of "will" and Aristotle's "final causality", but with a modern, scientific flare. Me, I'm very much a positivist when it comes to epistemology, I agree that the cosmos has a spontaneous impetus transcending our natural intuitions and our consciousness, with the challenge being to incorporate these phenomena into a functionally theoretical framework for technological purposes. We may not get reality, a definition of the walls of our currently supraphysical container, but concepts like space and time will acquire new practical meaning based on innovative fact-gathering contexts and progressing models of causality with heavy dependence on math. I think this is a dual process, first intuition-building, then experimental demonstration, and in quantum biochemistry at least we are amazingly moving into the demonstration phase!

I'm wondering, will it ever be possible to scientifically model chaos, would it look like negligible uncertainty in a particular probability distribution?
  • Gnomon
    I'm wondering, will it ever be possible to scientifically model chaos, would it look like negligible uncertainty in a particular probability distribution?Enrique
    Scientists have created mathematical models of chaotic systems, revealing internal structures and feedback loops. But these are "deterministic chaos" models, like weather patterns, wherein the outcome is predestined by the initial conditions. Although, in theory, they are predictable, the dynamics are so complex that, for all practical purposes, the system is a "black box". We can observe the initial conditions and the outcome, but what happens within is beyond our ability to calculate. So, for the time being, weather forecasters must make educated guesses beyond a week ahead. In other words, the uncertainty is far from negligible.

I mentioned that I like to think of Eternity/Infinity (no space, no time) as the ultimate black box of Chaos, with infinite potential, but completely unpredictable. That model of absolute Chaos is central to my personal theory of Creation ex nihilo. But it requires the assumption of intrinsic Intention (Will) for anything to actually happen : "Final Causality". That's why I call the ultimate Black Box "G*D". :smile:

Chaos Theory : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
  • Gnomon
    A phase transition [at] macro scale [may] be similar to a quantum level phenomenon.
    Oh, and this as?
    armonie
    I was just guessing, based on the common feature of Quantum Leaps and Phase Changes : sudden Emergence, apparently without intermediate steps. Classical Physics must assume the steps were taken, even though we can't observe them, and the time lapse seems to be instantaneous (light speed).
  • SophistiCat
    This might allow us to fashion a working model of the mind/matter complex, whether it be biochemical "hardware" running EMF "software", or some multifarious variation on this theme.Enrique

You are putting the cart before the horse. Before we can speculate about how future "quantum biology" is going to solve the mind-body problem, we have to precicify and operationalize such folk psychology notions as "mind" and "qualia," making them into subjects of an empirical study. To this date, we seem to be nowhere near that goal, and it is not even clear that the goal is achievable.
  • Enrique

...the dynamics are so complex that, for all practical purposes, the system is a "black box". We can observe the initial conditions and the outcome, but what happens within is beyond our ability to calculate.

Vaguely reminds me of those rate of reaction problems from chemistry class. We can parse up the total reaction into sub-reactions with a rate limiting step, and these models are extremely practical, but I was always curious as to the details of what was submerged within the parameters of applied atomic theory. Similar to your description of meteorological science, we have a working knowledge of some initial states and end results, but the microscopic particularity that supposedly exists in between is fundamentally a postulated concept, not an object. Maybe quantum physics can completely revolutionize our picture of physical structure, to the extent of rendering conventionalized ideas of an atom itself a formerly intuitive illusion, though I don't know the theoretical technicalities. Anyone think a change this dramatic is possible? Seems the main stumbling block might be inability to wrap our minds around this "causality of the observer" effect.
  • armonie
    、どこかもの悲し
  • Enrique

...we have to operationalize such folk psychology notions as "mind" and "qualia," making them into subjects of an empirical study. To this date, we seem to be nowhere near that goal, and it is not even clear that the goal is achievable.

I get what you're saying, it requires substantial research to identify a brain state and a qualitative experience, though we have rather easily correlated various brain regions with primary roles in vision, hearing, etc. Maybe the constraint isn't intrinsic unintelligibility of qualia to modeling, but simply limitations imposed by a paradigm based solely on thermodynamic chemistry, specifically diffusion, heat transfer, and three-dimensional structure. If it is accurate that perception is modulated by a higher-dimensional quantum interfacing of electromagnetic fields and biochemical matter, perhaps one facet of a total revision in our picture of the physical world, qualia will be no less ineffable subjectively because language is a separate module from perception, but we can expect models in which a physical process isn't merely correlated with for instance the sight of a particular color, but actually is the sight of that color. We may then be able to observe perception directly with some advanced fMRI-like device, integrate perception with technologies like electronics, come up with medical applications, and generally improve our concepts of mind, making them less illusory and language a possibly better approximation of reality. But like any theory or social act, we can always scrooge ourselves with it. Is human culture ethical enough for a science of qualia? It seems as if ethical issues will become critical with every future paradigm.
  • Gnomon
    Seems the main stumbling block might be inability to wrap our minds around this "causality of the observer" effect.Enrique
    I have constructed an unconventional personal worldview that is intended to explain the "causality of the observer" among many other issues making Quantum Theory hard to "wrap our minds around". But I hadn't intended to get into that, because I would have to define every other term in my "explanation". It's based on the concept that Information (EnFormAction) is the cause of everything in the world, including Energy and Matter. For those with a Materialist worldview, this Idealist philosophy will sound like nonsense.

For mild curiosity, the link below will take you to a brief overview. But a complete understanding of Enformationism will require a commitment similar to 20th century physicists trying to understand the quantum queerness that was revealed by splitting the atom. I think of my thesis as a continuation of the post-quantum revolution in Physics and Meta-Physics. But then, I have no credentials. So my ideas will have to stand on their own. That's why I discuss them only with open-minded philosophers, not professional physicists, who still think in terms of classical reality (atoms), even as they use Quantum mathematics to solve real-world problems. :nerd:

EnFormAction : http://bothandblog3.enformationism.info/page23.html
  • Gnomon
    But a kind of chaos with potential cannot be eternal or infinite (here I don't quite understand what concept of infinity you mean).armonie
    As I noted in my reply to Enrique, I didn't intend to get this thread off-track by introducing my personal cosmology into the discussion. All of my comments on this forum are coming from that unique perspective, and I have tried to explain bits & pieces of it. But Enformationism is a sort of 21st century update to ancient notions of Idealism and Panpsychism, and is intended to be an alternative to Pre-Quantum Materialism, and Pre-scientific Spiritualism. So, the whole system is more than the sum of bits & pieces.

I have answers to all of your questions, but you wouldn't understand them without a long digression into defining terms. The BothAnd Blog may be a more appropriate venue for getting into the nitty-gritty.

Now, back to your original thread . . . .

Enformationism : http://enformationism.info/enformationism.info/page2%20Welcome.html
    BothAnd Blog Glossary : http://blog-glossary.enformationism.info/page16.html
    Chaos : http://blog-glossary.enformationism.info/page12.html#Chaos
  • Gnomon
    a possible application of quantum mechanics in explaining subjective experience.Enrique
    The problem here is that Quantum "mechanics" is not mechanical. Quantum Leaps, Entanglement, & Superposition are not mechanical. So applying objective mechanical analogies to subjective metaphysical experience will get you nowhere. A different perspective will be necessary.

Quantum Approaches to Consciousness : https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-consciousness/
  • Enrique

The problem here is that Quantum "mechanics" is not mechanical. Quantum Leaps, Entanglement, & Superposition are not mechanical. So applying objective mechanical analogies to subjective metaphysical experience will get you nowhere.

As was somewhat clarified in my next post, I shouldn't say explain subjective experience in its common sense connotation, as if a description can be identical to the phenomenon, but we may be able to model the nature of certain experiences with participation from quantum physics in such a way that perception is theorizable with extreme precision, predictably observable with instrumentation and technologically implementable, and this is very mechanistic, though as you suggested the systematic math is completely disjuncted from conventional particle concepts.

Superposition is mathematically modelled as overlapping wave phases using the Schrodinger equation. The entanglement of photons is detectable as a statistically significant relationship between their phase states predicted by theory. The concept of diffuse electron wavicles pursuing multiple routes simultaneously within biochemical pathways works as a model of electron transport chains in photosynthesis. Experiments have been designed supporting the idea that the extremely rapid reaction rate of enzyme catalysis results from quantum tunneling in active sites. These are some more preliminary instances of quantum mechanisms besides what I described in my original post, the possibilities are largely untapped. Applied quantum theory will certainly be extremely diverse in its constituent forms and probably encompass the entirety of nature. If information isn't the foundation of our known universe already, it will become so, assuming theory, technology, and communal rationality can continue to progress. Very idealistic!
  • Gnomon
    If information isn't the foundation of our known universe already, it will become so, assuming theory, technology, and communal rationality can continue to progress. Very idealistic!Enrique
    My personal worldview, and my understanding of Consciousness, is based on the assumption that Information is indeed the foundation of the universe. But, it's not just me. A lot of physicists, and especially quantum physicists, have come to the same conclusion. One consequence of that axiom is that I began to give more credence to Plato's theory of Ideal Forms. But that doesn't mean that I have to abandon the materialistic notion of Realism. Instead, at the core of my thesis is the BothAnd Principle. Which grew out of the Quantum theory revelation that matter (substance) is made of energy (causation), and energy is made of Information. So, Information is Causation in both physical and metaphysical senses.

Generic Information is both Energy and Matter, both Cause and Effect. Therefore, it should not be surprising that the ability to know Information could arise from a system comprised of both Matter (brain) and Energy (the power to enform). However, those who seek to explain immaterial Consciousness in terms of material neurons (neural correlates of consciousness) are missing the other half of the correlation, the other half of the E=MC\2 equation. Our world is both Real (material; mechanical) and Ideal (mental, quantum continuum). So, progress in the science of Consciousness should follow the adoption of more Idealistic philosophical attitudes, but correlated to Realistic scientific skepticism.

BothAnd Principle : http://blog-glossary.enformationism.info/page10.html

The Case Against Reality : Why Evolution Hid the Truth From Our Eyes
    Donald Hoffman, professor of Cognitive Science
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-evolutionary-argument-against-reality-20160421/

Reality Is Not What It Seems :
    Carlo Rovelli, physicist/poet
    https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2017/02/01/512798209/reality-is-not-what-we-can-see
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment