• Brett
    Sometime ago I left the forum and asked the moderators to delete my account. I asked to be deleted because I was sick of the addictive nature of the forum. I felt like I should have been doing more constructive things with my time. Not only that but who were those others that were here all the time, who spends so much time here, and what could they have to offer: reality was happening outside.

There was a discussion on the forum about someone who was mistreated by a partner, tending towards violence, and all but a few went on laboriously about what it meant, what was behind it, etc. Only a few said, “Get out of this relationship”. So I felt I needed to go back outside.

I dropped in occasionally, read the usual combative posts, then left. I also found out I hadn’t actually been deleted.Then I saw a few posts about bannings and a post about the number of people leaving the forum. But I also liked to see new members with maybe 20 posts and I felt quite positive about that and I figured you need to be patient and wait for new blood to come through. I also saw some sort of community going on, which I thought was nice.

Recently I was involved in a discussion with a friend on climate change; he was for, I was against. I mentioned some statistics in which I was giving him some advantage to my disadvantage. But he wasn’t listening. He retaliated with, “Forget the statistics, you need to have faith.” How is that a discussion, what do I do with that? I need more than that. So here I am again.
  • Amity
    Now you are back, welcome.

How is that a discussion, what do I do with that? I need more than that. So here I am again.Brett

Sounds like you want an effective way to argue.
    It is unfortunate that some people who rely on faith alone without recourse to evidence don't seem to be amenable to reason. In some cases, where they don't even listen, it is a waste of breath.
    Bandying statistics about is my idea of hell. My ears would close up too.

So, there's a good thread on effective argumentation, started by @Baden.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/7014/effective-argumentation

I've just found what might be an informative site on critical thinking which includes types of argument: deductive, abductive...
    https://www.khanacademy.org/partner-content/wi-phi/wiphi-critical-thinking

Others here will have more knowledge and experience in the effectiveness, or otherwise, of their own arguments. Best bet is probably to get stuck in and practise...ask questions e.g. why someone would prefer an abductive argument.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.