• deletedmemberMD
    Think that's a small error. I'm assuming he means anti-Semites not historical Nazis.
  • Pfhorrest
    Sorry, I'm being a bit ahistorical in my terminology. I was thinking of things like Nietzsche contra Wagner, and thinking of Wagner in terms of "Nazi sympathizers" for his views' concordance with theirs (in the way that contemporary people with similar views are sometimes described), neglecting to think about the time periods involved and the impossibility of literally sympathizing with literal Nazis who didn't exist yet.
  • I like sushi
    The curious thing I find about Nietzsche is he can be interpreted as both against the ‘elite’ and against the ‘plebs’ - probably why he has such a wide reach across philosophy.

Historical context is deadly important. I cannot imagine if Aristotle was born and living today he’d talk in a manner that now looks both ‘sexist’ and ‘pro-slavery’.

Funnily enough just been reading Piaget and I can happily dismiss the term ‘primitive race’ as merely an unfortunate term of convention that today would be deemed highly inappropriate.

How about Aristotle? Would he be defining ‘science’ and ‘philosophy’, or simply dismissing both as underdeveloped mistakes? Maybe he’d be in show business?
  • deletedmemberMD
    How about Aristotle? Would he be defining ‘science’ and ‘philosophy’, or simply dismissing both as underdeveloped mistakes? Maybe he’d be in show business?I like sushi

I think the most realistic thing to assume here; is that any historical philosopher that were to be given life today would probably be most interested to read what people said about them specifically. I know that if I was 200 years in the future now, first thing I'd do would be to googleofthefuture myself. Would probably be traumatic though, I imagine after a certain amount of time anyone of historical import will accumulate both heavy criticism and praise and probably not in equal measures, but still vast quantities of both. That's not to say I'm assuming I will be of historical import, just hypothesising for the sake of the discussion.

I feel so sorry for the future historians who are going to have to do internet archaeology. Sounds like an overwhelmingly horrible task. The internet could really make historical inquiry so difficult for the future.
  • Ying
    Diogenes of Sinope would be making tons of cash as a Youtuber...

Crates of Thebes and Hipparchia of Maroneia would get fined for public indecency.
  • Janus
    According to Peter Sjöstedt-H in Noumenautics Nietzsche was into drugs anyway.
  • Janus
    primitive race’I like sushi

Should be, properly, "prime-itive", but it obviously carries a load of nasty baggage.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.