• HermeneuticDesigner
    Hey people,

I was wondering: Are there any articles or books out there that discuss the possible influence of Ayn Rand's objectivism on the practice of biopolitics?
  • Terrapin Station
    Is there any reason to believe that Rand's views have influenced biopolitics in order for there to be an article on it? I'm just assuming you have some reason to believe there's been an influence, otherwise it seems like a pretty arbitrary thing to wonder.
  • HermeneuticDesigner
    Well it has obviously played a significant role in the way political economy is conducted. So it probably has had an influence. I am asking whether there is any material published about this subject.
  • Terrapin Station
    Yeah, but "biopolitics" is still a very specific idea with pretty narrow usage. As Wikipedia notes, "the term is mostly divided between a poststructuralist group using the meaning assigned by Michel Foucault (denoting social and political power over life) and another group who uses it to denote studies relating biology and political science."

I mean, you don't expect poststructuralist Foucaultians to be bothering with Rand, do you?
  • HermeneuticDesigner
    Read my comment again. Not concerned with theoretical overlapping. It's about the practice of biopolitics, not about the critical theory about biopolitics.
  • HermeneuticDesigner
    Don't argue with me on this one. I try to ask a very simple question, and I'm only asking for a very simple answer, which may come in the form of literature. Again:Are there any articles or books out there that discuss the possible influence of Ayn Rand's objectivism on the practice of biopolitics?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.