• Wheatley
    My all time favorite game is Portal 2. Everything about it was really well made, from level design and mechanics, to the really funny dialogue and characters. Also not like your stereotypical mindless video game, it gives your brain something to do.

My other favorite games are:

Celeste: A difficult platformer but very playable. I really like the simplicity of the game, a few simple mechanics (jump dash climb). I had a lot of fun playing it. It's also a story about mental illness (anxiety) which I can relate to.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Not much to say, a classic 3D Zelda with dungeons all having their unique themes. From the music, story, enemies, equipment, it all comes together really well to make an awesome gaming experience.

More games that I finished and like are:

Resident Evil 2 (remake)
    Resident Evil 7
    Dragon Quest 11
    Pokemon Gold/Silver
    The Turing Test
    Age of Empires 2
    Red Alert 2
    Metroid Samus Returns
    Zelda: A Link Between the Worlds
    Zelda: Link's Awakening (Remake)
    WarGrove (Indie)
    Civilization 6
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo 3
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    I'm sure there others, I just can't remember them right now.

What games do you like? What are your favorite games?
  • Maw
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy VI
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
    Age of Empires 2
    Xenogears
    Resident Evil 4
    Red Dead Redemption
    Breath of the Wild
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • ZhouBoTong
    What games do you like? What are your favorite games?Purple Pond

Hard to pick favorites, but here are the games that I have played the most over the years:

Colonization
    Civilization (all of them)
    Diablo 2 (Path of Exile is a tolerable replacement - Diablo 3 had good gameplay but crap character build, so no reason to replay)
    FIFA Soccer games since at least 1998
    Endless Space
    Lord of Ultima/Crown of the Gods
    Battle Brothers
    Total War: Warhammer 1 & 2
    Mario Kart (I think it was the one for the gamecube)
    Star Wars Battlefront (I think it was on Playstation 2)
    Destiny/COD/Halo

Coming up on 30 years of games, no wonder I suck at philosophy :smile:
  • Michael
    Borderlands 2
    Final Fantasy IX
    The Last of Us
  • Shawn
    Crysis 1&2
  • Terrapin Station
    I love big, sprawling sandbox games where you can spend a lot of time being entertained by just experimenting/dicking around to see what various things will do. But also because I like the long, convoluted stories, the characters, etc.

Huge fan of the Grand Theft Auto series, the Saints Row series, the two recent Red Dead games (and the zombie offshoot), etc.

I also like racing games a lot, although I prefer them more arcade-style or more cartoony. I don't care about realism in racing games. I don't care about realism in games period. (And the same with fiction and artworks in general.)

I also play a lot of console pinball. There are a couple great console pinball companies that between them have made hundreds of different machines to play. I always loved pinball when I was a kid, too, and we had a few pinball machines when I was growing up (plus I used to play in arcades, etc.)

I never cared very much for most first-person shooters--I just don't like the mechanics of them very much. I prefer third-person games. Although I like the Sniper series a lot, and I periodically give other first-person shooters a try.

I also don't care for the RPGs I've played and I've found online play with other people extremely underwhelming. Most of the RPGs I've played have seemed really clunky and slow to me, and all the stat stuff seems like nonsense to me.

But I do like games that have more of a story to them.

The online play I've done with other people has seemed very boring/repetitive, even for GTA and Red Dead. They need to figure out a way to simply have people group up to do story-based missions rather than stupid "capture the flag" etc.

Anyway, there's lots of other stuff I've enjoyed for video games, too, including platformers, (non-sandbox) adventure games, etc.

I'm pretty much just a console gamer. A lot of my professional activities as a musician are done via computer, so I try to keep my computers pretty clean/streamlined software-wise to minimize issues with music software I use.
  • Wheatley
    I love big, sprawling sandbox games where you can spend a lot of time being entertained by just experimenting/dicking around to see what various things will do. But also because I like the long, convoluted stories, the characters, etc.Terrapin Station
    I'm exactly the opposite. I always get overwhelmed by the endless variety of options in the sandbox genre of games. I like structure and linearity where the game tells me what to do. I can't stomach games like Minecraft and Super Mario Maker. Also, with a few exceptions, I never really cared much for story telling in video games.

Huge fan of the Grand Theft Auto series, the Saints Row series, the two recent Red Dead games (and the zombie offshoot), etc.Terrapin Station
    I played a bit of all that was mentioned. I feel like there's too much going on these games. My brain can't handle all the overloaded information.
  • Ying
    What games do you like? What are your favorite games?Wheatley

-Dodonpachi
    -ESPGaluda
    -1944: The Loop Master
    -Giga Wing
    -Raiden Fighters Jet
    -The Last Blade 2
    -Street Fighter Alpha 3
    -Ultra Street Fighter 4
    -The King Of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
    -Capcom vs SNK 2
    -Crusader Kings 2
    -Jagged Alliance 2 1.13
    -Sim City 4 with NAM
    -Disgaea 5
    -Baldurs Gate series
    -Fallout 2
  • 180 Proof
    What games do you like? What are your favorite games?Wheatley

I don't own or play any video games. I never have. And though it's been decades since I've played pen & paper RPGs (trpg) – which I've always loved – or belonged to a gaming group of any kind (since all of my old friends have long since scattered to the four corners of the country, etc), for the last decade or so I've collected them just to read and to inspire my own game designs (which I neither play with anyone nor intend to publish). Here's a sample of (brilliantly designed re: ANTI-d&desque / wargamey) small & "micro" games which have caught my fancy in recent years:

- Mothership
    - Best Left Buried
    - The Skeletons
    - Hollowpoint
    - Psi*Run
    - Don't Rest Your Head
    - Sorcerer & Sword
    - 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars
    - Tiny Dungeon 2e Player's Guide
    - Trollbabe
    - Warrior Rogue & Mage

- Freeform Universal (FU)
    [free pdf]

- Lasers & Feelings, World of Dungeons, Lady Blackbird, Ghost Lines, The Mustang ... Cthulhu Dark, etc (countless more micro games) [free pdfs]

- Stay Frosty
    - Lost Days of Memories & Madness
    - Red Mists 
    - A Single Moment
    - Offworlders
    - FATE Accelerated Edition (FAE)
    - In A Wicked Age
    - Lovecraftesque 
    - Blood and Bone
    - Downcrawl
    - On Mighty Thews
    - Starfall
    - Blood Dark Thirst
    - Archipelago
  • Wheatley
    I'm surprised I didn't see Dungeons & Dragons on that list. :gasp:
  • 180 Proof
    ↪180 Proof I'm surprised I didn't see Dungeons & Dragons on that list. :gasp:Wheatley

Don't know why - my preamble describes the games on the list as

(brilliantly designed re: ANTI-d&desque/wargamey) small & "micro" games180 Proof

and D&D IS NOT a "small game" or "micro game" or IMHO "brilliantly designed". :nerd:

Yeah, D&D has long been synonymous with roleplaying, but really it's not (1); especially in the last couple of decades, tRPGs have matured into so much more, and the advent of the internet has played a very useful role in that. It's true that back in the day we started with D&D but almost immediately dropped it for being more "Tom & Jerry" cartoon than the "Conan" "Elric" "LotR" pulp we preferred (plus a stupid ruleset too that nailed its coffin shut!), so instead we homebrewed our own tRPGs to our tastes (like, it turns out, lots of other teen gamers did in the 70s & 80s). All pre-XBOX, PS, Nintendo, etc which only digitized the D&D/wargaming-template and then ran it all the way to the BANK with button-mashing glee. Once upon a time I'd introduced my nephews to not-D&D rpgs but that's not what their gamer buddies were into so ... different strokes, right?

Anyway, I've kept a jaundiced eye on how video games have developed since the oughts - e.g. Red Dead Redemption, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, The Last of Us, Dishonored, Alien: Isolation, ... I think are, as a spectator only, dope AF - but the medium itself doesn't offer either the social experience (2) or DIY improvisational depth (3) on par with pen & paper (Theatre of the Mind rather than minis-n-grids) gaming. Or maybe I'm just too old school and stuck on analog to appreciate digital (even though I junked my vinyl records for CDs a few decades ago). :smirk:

update:

A recent Guardian UK article about the current mainstream popularity (i.e. mega-marketing) of "D&D" versus? because of? video games - re: (1) (2) (3) above.

Continues ...
  • Pfhorrest
    The Marathon trilogy by Bungie (whence my name), which is now free to play BTW. Story discussion about this was actually an early introduction to some philosophical thinking for me (especially the third game, which many people find confusing), and my unofficial sequel to it (Eternal), which is about twice as long as the original game, has been described as very "philosophical", though I didn't set out to make it a philosophy tract or anything.

Also their Myth series.
  • Devans99
    If you like strategy / RPG games and have an interest in learning about world religions an mythology, I can highly recommend:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

It includes something like 60 different nations you can play, most of which are modelled on actual world religions / mythology.
  • chromechris
    I never really got into adventure games or any of that. I mostly enjoy BF4. Big sandbox and you can play tactically.
  • khaled

Star wars: Knights of the old republic 1 and 2
    Skyrim
    Civilization
    Dishonored (all of em)
    League of Legends (Love hate relationship)
    Prince of Persia (all of em)
  • 180 Proof
    update:

Dishonored & Alien: Isolation got adapted to tabletop roleplaying games (tRPG) in the last year or so, both of which look good from what I can tell from actual play Youtubes. I'd expected the quarantine lockdown (coming back soon, isn't it?) would've finally got me into video gaming (several months ago I even bought The Beatles Rock Band game and ps3 (Blue-Ray is "gear!")), but I only enjoyed the animations and music without ever playing), however, I only bothered with online discussions about tabletop RPG designing instead. At least I've finally convinced my late twenty-something nephews to suppliment their video games obsession with some tabletop gaming (via Discord, etc with friends during the winter & spring, not so much now I think); maybe, like most millennials who're a little burnt out button-mashing, they just had to grow up into pen & paper dice-chucking (maybe it also helps that one of them has begun writing screenplays and short fiction, which the "emergent story" aspect of improvisational tabletop gameplay emulates much more than the graphics-happy, hyper-iterative maze-running, programs he's used to). They both still reject my "playing guitar vs playing Guitar Hero" comparison but the seed it planted a decade ago has borne fruit anyway, so uncle OG is now chill af. :cool:
  • Saphsin
    I'm a voracious manga and novel reader so in between that and my other readings, I practically have no time left on the side for video games as I did during my adolescence. I used to be very into Starcraft (a lot of strategic depth and high skill ceiling) and I wasted a lot of time on different MMORPGs (I don't fully regret the time spent, a lot of world immersion)

Btw, I agree Generation 2 Pokemon is the best. Also on the Zelda games.
  • Pinprick

Portal 2 was really great, but my favorites would be the Metal Gear Solid series. The storyline is amazing. Also really like the Elder Scrolls series. I’m also into football, so I really like Madden as well. The Shining Force series is really good too for a classic game.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.