• Shawn
    This is a new version of solipsism that allows for the existence of other minds.

Stipulating, I only can know I exist, yet you exist too. After a long interaction with a person a mental image forms from verbal and non-verbal communication. However, I can never be quite sure just who you are. That denominator is reserved for people closest to me.

During REM, I consolidate this mental image of you into my own personality. Sometimes people who have had it rough cannot assimilate mental images of bullies, abusers, violators, and such, and this is the noumenal aspect of solipsism. That no matter how well I know you, I will never know the real you.

Wittgenstein talked about transcendental solipsism; but, I take a step back and simply assert that all I know is what I know, and that cannot be doubted. Everything else that can be doubted is noumenal and esoteric.

Thoughts?
  • Valentinus
    If one is going to have a solipsism, it only seems right that only one person exist at the end of the process.
    A category or principle or idea of the noumena is, by definition, a separation from something it is not. It is the separation that gets argued about, whether the participants are Wittgenstein or Aristotle. The term requires the algebra surrounding it to become recognizable. Otherwise, noumena would be another phenomena, something that theoretically does not require interpretation.
    But it turns out that even that is not a commonly agreed upon point of departure.
  • OmniscientNihilist
    empathy still works without belief in other minds. so no worries.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.