• deletedmemberMD
    But how do you know that you cannot know? Do you know the answer?
  • OmniscientNihilist

there is a million different ways you might know that you cant know something. say you know that your instrument does not detect certain types of matter. then you know you cannot know about that type of matter until you get a better instrument. and you know you can never know if the material used to create that instrument no longer exists.
  • TheMadFool
    Doesn't this stuff fall under "don't know"?jorndoe

I was just trying to make sense of the intent behind the creation of the word "supernagic".

It provides adequate room for scientists to enter into the foray of the so-called "supernatural". After all, in line with Karl Popper's falsifiability theory of science, any measurement/observation contradictory to known laws of nature would immediately fall under the term "supernatural". This wouldn't be good for science right?

So for scientists to make the distinction between the "supernatural" that needs explaining through research and the "supernatural" that's "explained" as god's handiwork we need "supernagic".
  • Harry Hindu
    What does it mean to be unknowable? Is it that it is knowable to some, but not to others? Or is it that there is nothing to know at all - that we are mistaking imaginary things for real things and then asking questions about those imaginary things as if they were real.Harry Hindu

it simply means you know that you cannot know. because there is something blocking your limited ability to know.

thing can be temporarily unknowable or permanently unknowable

and you can potential know that
    OmniscientNihilist

I don't see how that answers my question.

Define "knowing".
  • Marchesk
    I don't think there's any reason to think supernagic is real, but it's meaningful. That's why we can create fictional stories with supernagic in it.

The show Supernatural has the more powerful beings just snapping their fingers. Interesting that Q on Star Trek would do the same thing, but his race wasn't considered supernagical.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.