• NOS4A2

That doesn't make any sense to me. But I lean towards a constructivist stance on reality.

It’s a pretty common take on reality, that it exists independently of us. What can you not make sense of?

It would apply to them if they asked themselves the same question. But the logic no longer works if, instead of sorting yourself, you're trying to sort other people, too.

These sorts of questions can apply to all people instead of just the one asking it. There is no point in retreating into solipsism,
  • Harry Hindu
    Does it really make sense to call them "simulations" because "simulation" only makes sense if there is a "reality" to compare it to.Harry Hindu

That’s a good point. I suppose future humans might use historical records to recreate a reality. I’m not sure what landscape non-human beings would use as a model.NOS4A2

There would be no such thing as simulations - only a reality where Big Bangs would be the creation of a new universe by previous entities in pre-existing universes, ad infinitum. Do the "simulations" that we create in computer systems qualify as other universes? If not, then how would you know that this is universe is a simulation?
  • Echarmion
    It’s a pretty common take on reality, that it exists independently of us. What can you not make sense of?NOS4A2

What confuses me is having no notion of a "subjective" reality that every individual lives in. After all, any information we process must be in our heads.

These sorts of questions can apply to all people instead of just the one asking it. There is no point in retreating into solipsism,NOS4A2

Going back to my metaphor with a long line of people: You can ask yourself where you are in the line of people. But if you ask where everyone is in the line, you no longer have a line that's already given. What you're trying to do is take an observers point of view and figure out what the line looks like from the outside. And if you had that kind of information, that would make the problem moot, but usually, with questions like this one, that's exactly the problem: You don't have information on how the line looks from the outside.
  • Michael
    If it does, then they are just as likely as the sims to be in a simulation, as are the ones running their simulation, and so on to infinity. It’s simulations all the way down.NOS4A2

The second sentence doesn't follow from the first. That everyone is equally likely to be in a simulation isn't that everyone is in a simulation. If we consider a lottery with 1,000,000 to 1 odds and 1,000,000 unique tickets then the owner of each ticket has a good reason to believe that they haven't won even though 1 ticket is in fact a winner.
  • NOS4A2

What confuses me is having no notion of a "subjective" reality that every individual lives in. After all, any information we process must be in our heads.

It’s just the idea that all individuals live within one reality, and that each individual can directly view and interact with that reality. I don’t believe there is a subjective reality, nor do I require subjectivity as an explanatory principle. I don’t want to venture too far off topic, but this sort of metaphysics underlies my questions regarding the simulation hypothesis.

Going back to my metaphor with a long line of people: You can ask yourself where you are in the line of people. But if you ask where everyone is in the line, you no longer have a line that's already given. What you're trying to do is take an observers point of view and figure out what the line looks like from the outside. And if you had that kind of information, that would make the problem moot, but usually, with questions like this one, that's exactly the problem: You don't have information on how the line looks from the outside.

Couldn’t I venture outside the line and look at it from a different angle?
  • NOS4A2

The second sentence doesn't follow from the first. That everyone is equally likely to be in a simulation isn't that everyone is in a simulation. If we consider a lottery with 1,000,000 to 1 odds and 1,000,000 unique tickets then the owner of each ticket has a good reason to believe that they haven't won even though 1 ticket is in fact a winner.

Fair point. My statement “it’s simulations all the way down” is sort of a joke, but I see what you mean.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.