• charles ferraro
    Assume for a moment that I, my thinking, and my Cogito Sum performance are essentially the dream of Deity 1.

This means that I, my thinking, and my Cogito Sum performance are inherently CONTINGENT because each is vulnerable to the possibility of complete cessation and non-existence if, and when, Deity 1 awakens.

Assume next that Deity 1, its thinking, and its Cogito Sum performance are essentially the dream of a higher Deity 2.

This means that Deity 1, its thinking, and its Cogito Sum performance are inherently CONTINGENT because each is vulnerable to the possibility of complete cessation and non-existence if, and when, Deity 2 awakens.

Assume next that Deity 2, its thinking, and its Cogito Sum performance are essentially the dream of a higher Deity 3.

This means that Deity 2, its thinking, and its Cogito Sum performance are inherently CONTINGENT because each is vulnerable to the possibility of complete cessation and non-existence if, and when, Deity 3 awakens.

Assume next that Deity 3, … etc., etc., etc.

If, and when, the final, highest Deity in this infinite series should awaken, then no longer will there be any CONTINGENT being, be it human or divine. There will be only NECESSARY being because the thinking and Cogito Sum performance of this final, highest Deity will be invulnerable to the possibility of complete cessation and non-existence.

Any comments regarding the above?
  • Banno
    Assume for a moment that I, my thinking, and my Cogito Sum performance are essentially the dream of Deity 1.charles ferraro

Wouldn't all this just mean that what we mean by being real just is being dreamed by deity 1?

Which is to say, this metaphysical dream makes no difference.
  • charles ferraro
    Yes, it certainly does mean that, but I think it also means much more than that. It is the "metaphysical dreaming" which makes all the difference, because it provides a dramatic portrayal of the difference between contingent existence and necessary existence; which is the whole point.
  • 180 Proof
    Oh look: it's Zhuangzi's butterfly-dream or maybe perceived Berkeleys all the way down ... but Cantorized. Simulation paradox, anyone? :yawn:
  • Banno
    Cogito Sumcharles ferraro

What's that, then?
  • Pfhorrest
    "I think I am, I think I am, I think I am..." - The Little Descartes That Could
  • creativesoul
    "I think I am, I think I am, I think I am..." - The Little Descartes That CouldPfhorrest

:rofl:

That's hilarious... I literally laughed out loud for brief time... then began laughing again for another... Oh shit... That's too funny.
  • Pfhorrest
    Glad you liked it. :grin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube