• isaacmoris
    According to Martha Nussbaum, infancy and childhood emotions influence are current emotions. Our source of comfort, guilt and desire have a root and history that we can even trace back to infancy and childhood. Our adult emotion cannot be fully understood without understanding emotions from infancy and childhood. The way we respond to our emotions like anger may have to do with our emotions during infancy and childhood. Like for example, we hate and we burst in anger, especially to our partners when they break their promise because your father also break his promise when you were young,to be there by your side and support you. Can you guys please share some experience that you can connect your past experience to your current emotions.
  • god must be atheist
    When I was a baby, I liked to suck on my mother's teats. These days I STILL like to suck on lady's breasts, despite the apparent lack of ensuing nutritional effects. It is clearly an emtional response that has its roots in my early infancy.

Fancy that.
  • god must be atheist
    Martha Nussbaumisaacmoris

I am not sure, but did not Martha Nussbaum say that these learned emotional responses go back so early into our relationship with what was our world then, that we don't have any memories of it?

And I am not sure, but why are you crediting M.N. with this, @IsaacMoris, when all this was originally ideated by Sigmund Freud?
  • god must be atheist
    Can you guys please share some experience that you can connect your past experience to your current emotions.isaacmoris

And I am not sure, but what is the philsosophical implication you are attempting to draw from this exercis, @isaacmoris?

And I am not sure, but your tone and explanatory style makes me think you think of us as grade 2 pupils. "Now, children, take out your rulers, and draw a straight line in your notebooks. Then draw another straight line across it. Can someone tell me what you just drew?"
  • uncanni
    Can you be a little bit more disparaging and unwelcoming to the newcomer?
  • Janus
    Oooh, you dirty little atheist! :joke:
  • Janus
    When I was a child my father always criticized and tried to control me. I rebelled from the start, and now, as an adult I have had to slowly come to realize that I fall into a state of anger and aggression when people, especially those close to me, criticize and/ or try to control me.

Understanding the origin of negative emotions does seem to help with gaining some control over and/or quickly letting go of them.
  • god must be atheist
    Understanding the origin of negative emotions does seem to help with gaining some control over and/or quickly letting go of them.Janus

I have to disparage you, too, @Janus, :-P, but this is the mechanism that Freud employed extensively to treat his so-called neurotic patients.

@uncanni: I have issues too, and mine is the short memory of humankind, which takes an internet ninni such as Martha Nussbaum as source of an idea which is well over a hundred years old.
  • Janus
    I have to disparage you, too, Janus, :-P, but this is the mechanism that Freud employed extensively to treat his so-called neurotic patients.god must be atheist

So what? What's your point?
  • god must be atheist
    So what? What's your point?Janus
    The point is that you guys, namely @Janus and @MarthaNussbaum think of great ideas the same way as world-class scientists of the past have. If I assume you never became familiar with Freud and his teachings, then you came upon the same great idea by yourself. That's grand.
  • Janus
    I haven't claimed that the idea that knowing the origin of negative emotions helps you let go of them is my own original idea, so your comment still seems pointless.
  • god must be atheist
    I haven't claimed that the idea that knowing the origin of negative emotions helps you let go of them is my own original idea, so your comment still seems pointless.Janus

Please note that I hadn't made a claim to attribute a claim to you which you deny claiming as your claim. I put in a CONDITIONAL phrase that saves my skin. For you to make a claim that I made a pointless claim seems pointless as my claim had been made with a condition, the outcome of which was known to you, but not to me.

(I wonder how long this is going to go on...)
  • uncanni
    I have issues too, and mine is the short memory of humankind, which takes an internet ninni such as Martha Nussbaum as source of an idea which is well over a hundred years old.god must be atheist

I ask my students if they know what Woodstock was, or who Freud was. Most of them say no.
    I grow old, I grow old,
    I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled...

I doubt that Nussbaum is a ninny, but abreaction is, indeed, Breuer and Freud's terminology. A quick glance at her book, Upheavals of Thought: The Intelligence of Emotions, on Amazon reveals that Freud is frequently cited.

But is abreaction really a novel concept? Could we say that Augustine had an abreaction when he resolved his "Whence evil"/split mind problem?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.