• 3017amen

Okay I take that as a no answer LOL

B well
  • Terrapin Station

Yeah, it's frustrating. I can understand to some extent that people might conflate "stuff that most atheists I encounter (usually by 'debating' with them online) seem to believe" with atheism in general (even if they really shouldn't make that conflation--maybe read/look stuff up a bit more often?), but once you point out that the definition of atheism only has to do with a single issue, they should be able to get it.
  • Artemis

I'll take that to mean you're not interested in actually learning anything here and your questions are therefore disingenuous to begin with.

Same thing with music, as you said. You weren't interested in learning anything about that either.

Willful ignorance has no place in philosophy.
  • 3017amen

But I did learn it. You read into something that wasn't there. I'm classically trained.
  • Artemis

Then learn something about philosophy instead of trolling and using words you don't understand.
  • DingoJones

Yes, he is being completely disingenuous and dishonest, but I do not think he realises it. This is the evil of religion, how it corrupts the basic integrities of the human mind. The cognitive dissonance humans experience becomes a way of thinking, a gross inoculation against rational thought and self reflection.
    Take “faith” for example, An utterly vacuous term that gets trotted out as a reason for believing when of course its the exact opposite of a reason.
    Worse still, guys like this amen dude actually view themselves as paragons of rationality, and of virtue when again...exact opposite. Emotional analysis, not rational and so lacking in virtue they cannot even be honest with themselves let alone when posing “questions” to philosophical adversaries.
  • 3017amen

Hey, thanks for the political statements!
  • Artemis

You're a politician? Who knew.

We're not the only ones to point out to you in this thread that you're not engaging people well. You can be stubborn about that or try to figure out what you're doing wrong and improve yourself. Your choice.
  • 3017amen

I don't know what to tell you Artemis.

Your non-answers/ad hominem arguments speak for themselves.

That's why I use the word politics... .

B well.
  • Artemis

I guess you've chosen willful ignorance then.
  • 3017amen

If that makes you feel better!

LOL
  • Artemis
    LOL3017amen

Does loling at people make you feel better?
  • Artemis

Cute. But you know Einstein never laughed at people when he was arguing with them in good faith.
  • 3017amen

Maybe if he was still alive I'd invite you to one of his seminars, then we could all have a good laugh together.

Heck, we might even have a group hug!
  • Artemis

So why do you do this? Why do you string people along endlessly and without any intention of learning or taking them seriously? What's the point of you being here on this forum if you don't care about the conversation?

And, back on topic, since it's been the atheists here arguing in good faith with you, and you as the "believer" (of whatever ineffable thing it is) have been arguing in bad faith, that really just proves you wrong and solidifies the legitimacy of atheism.
  • DingoJones

You are giving him way too much credit. He isnt being stubborn, that would require him having an actual position to cling too, which he doesnt. He THINKS he does, and thats why he cannot engage. He has been programmed with placeholder words that have no substance and thus anyone actually trying to engage with him is just firing off into thin air. He has nothing to offer, so there is nothing to hit with any point you might want to make.
    That, and there is this underlying immaturity to his comments which make it easy to think of him as stupid, or a troll but thats not what it is. He is a victim, made vulnerable by his own childish fears and fragility. Its not really his fault, which I think is why he gets people trying to help him. It is folly however, as part of his delusion is a defence mechanism where he ridicules the things he doesnt understand. He HAS to do that, he HAS to put in those dismissive responses and “LOL”’s, because his entire view is based on a childish narcissism of self importance. He’s this special guy, with a special little view that his philosophical opponents are powerless to respond. Again, that is the exact opposite of the reality. Unsurprising, since thats basically what religion is all about, denying reality for comfort.
  • 3017amen
    that really just proves you wrong and solidifies the legitimacy of atheism.Artemis

Actually just the opposite. Many of you just use ad hominem arguments when you find yourselves in a position of defending nothingness.

There are numerous existential questions/Kantian metaphysical questions, cognitive science/ phenomena, unresolved paradox, et al. that suggest deep mystery, Through conscious beings the universe has generated self-awareness. That can be no trivial detail, no minor byproduct of purposeless forces. All events must have a cause is, by pure definition of the words used, transcends logical and metaphysical necessity. Accordingly, I would suggest you yourself, read-up on your Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.

But back to politics and humor. I see the Atheist Ronald Reagan television ad running again talking about separation of church and state. That's good thing for sure, and we see what extremism can do in third world politics (ie: Syria has no separation of church/state), yet it's only a half-truth here in the US. It's funny, in our great country we have on our currency 'In God We Trust', seems like a paradox for you, no?

The point is, Reagan ends the ad by saying in close quotes "...this is Ronald Reagan, I'm an unabashed Atheist not afraid of burning in hell." That precisely feeds into the dysfunction/deficiencies or otherwise the pathological 'an axe to grind' that's been projected here by some... . Don't take my word for it, look at what Einstein suggests in the OP, you can't hear the Pythagoras "music of the spheres".

Otherwise how does one transcend, as Maslow once said "what you are not you cannot perceive to understand; it cannot communicate itself to you"...

Not sure we have an answer do we(?)
  • Artemis
    Many of you just use ad hominem arguments when you find yourselves in a position of defending nothingness.3017amen

I don't think you understand what an ad hominem is.

If I were to say, "amen is a stupid screenname, therefore you're wrong," that would be an ad hominem.

I'm saying that your entire method of interacting with people on this thread is wrongheaded. That's not an ad hominem.

I'm not criticizing an arbitrary aspect about you to refute your argument. I'm saying your process of argumenation is deeply flawed.

Do you understand the difference?
  • 3017amen

No I don't . And don't take this the wrong way, but your response proves my point of pointless arguments not addressing the existential issues at hand. Almost as pointless as the movie Forrest Gump (which was based on Existentialism).

Just kidding, it was a pretty good movie! LOL
  • Artemis
    No I don't .3017amen

If you don't understand how an ad hominem works, I suppose that explains a lot for your lack of understanding of the rest of this entire discussion.

Perhaps @DingoJones is right and you're just not aware of how out of touch you are in this conversation.

In that case I commend you for trying to participate in something that is obviously not your forte, but I do recommend some humility and some willingness to learn rather than grandstand on the idea that you've somehow gained insight that has mysteriously eluded people with more education and experience than yourself.

Also, quit it with the lols. It makes you sound like you're in middle school.
  • 3017amen
    quote="Artemis;343124"]you've somehow gained insight that has mysteriously eluded people with more education and experience than yourself.[/quote]

Ad hominem : in a way that is directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

LOL
  • 3017amen
    Then learn something about philosophy instead of trolling and using words you don't understand.

Ad hominem : in a way that is directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
  • 3017amen
    Go educate yourself and only then is a conversation possible.Artemis

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.