• thewonder
    This essay turned out to be a lot shorter than I had thought it would be and, so, I will just post it now. I may rewrite some of it later, though.

The Same River Twice: A Cursory Essay on Jean-Paul Sartre's Being and Nothingness

In the free act of annihilating essence, one should be careful not to become The Abyss. Jean-Paul Sartre’s Existential philosophy was revolutionary in so far that it sought to abolish Determinism, but, ultimately, too fixated upon the nothingness at the heart of Being not to imperil becoming an ideology in its own right. As much as any person might cherish the boundless freedom that non-being allows for, Sartre’s Ontological claim that nothingness is intrinsic to Being must be partially rejected. A person has the fragments of recorded experience which constitute memory. There is an ever-changing assemblage of affects that constitutes The Self. When we consider what, for lack of a better term, can be described as “the human soul”, we are not confronted by The Void; we discover the immanent presence of a self that is always in the process of differentiating. Negation merely delimits Ontology. It allows for freedom but is not all that is requisite for it. Just as we are condemned to be free, we are condemned to exist. The true nihilation of the Self would mean suicide. That such an action can be considered to be the purest expression of freedom is absurd.

In the quest for liberation, one should be careful in regards to what one destroys. Existentialism is a radical Ontological philosophy that culminated with the publication of Being and Nothingness. Sartre’s philosophy does hazard that its adherents may fall prey to the pathology of Nihilism. Nihilism can be best described as Ontological pessimism. It is not so much a philosophy per se as it is a philosophical disposition. Even if the human experience can ultimately be considered to be negative, that any person should accept such a state of affairs should illicit sympathetic intervention. If the human condition really turns out to be absurd, then such circumstances should incite rebellion. You must choose to live in spite of the Absurd. The only other option is, again, suicide. Negation can take on the character of self-destruction. Who do we decide to become and to no longer be? Individuation is a serious process. To truly actualize upon the effectively limitless human potential for freedom means not to relentlessly nihilate every facet of The Self, but to continually develop The Self. Negation merely delimits who we are. We become through a process of existential attestation and affirmation.

Life before and after death describes The Abyss. The unfathomable nothingness of total non-being describes The Void. Neither The Abyss nor The Void bestow humanity with freedom. They are abstract concepts that should be used to delimit agency. Freedom is not born out of The Abyss; It recommences in spite of it.
  • Valentinus
    Sartre tied the vision of individual development to other dynamics than whatever leads to an individual.
    He also wanted to put a person in their time, making choices being forced upon them.
    That is not presented in the spirit of an argument against what you presented. I am curious if those remarks relate to your thesis.
  • thewonder

I agree with Sartre's assertion that we "condemned to be free". I also like his description of Being being de trop. I kind of think that I came down too hard on Sartre in this essay since I more or less agree with the guy aside from that I think that he's too focused on nothingness not to be, in part, a Nihilist. The temporal aspect of Sartre's theory is either too boring or complex for me to explain or fully understand. I'm only on my second read through of Being and Nothingness.

He kind of already makes the argument that I am making with the concept of Being-in-itself, but I do think that he makes a slight error in too directly identifying Being as being its own nothingness which makes some of his methodology somewhat untenable.

Sartre really had his bases a lot better covered than I let on in this essay. My points are that negation is a thought process that should not be confused with thought itself, which Sartre, at moments, I think, does and that there really is something there that is Being even though it is always being called into question. Sartre identifies it as being its own nothingness at a few points in the text.
  • thewonder

I'm realistically just staving off having to call myself a "Neo-Existentialist" whenever someone asks what philosophy I adhere to.
  • TheMadFool
    In the free act of annihilating essence, one should be careful not to become The Abyssthewonder

Suggests that we have a choice in the matter. If so why choose the path that leads to the Abyss when we could've easily chosen a different route, to fulfillment or whatever?

If we could choose to avoid suicide and live a different life then what's the point of sticking a gun in your mouth and choosing not to pull the trigger?

Maybe I misunderstood.
  • thewonder

That statement was made under the assumptions that people would have a more favorable interpretation of Nominalism than I can reasonably expect and that they would get that it was intened to be somewhat Nominalist. As I only ordered Summa Logicae by William of Ockham, and haven't actually read it, I'm not sure why I would do something like that. Sartre thought that existence preceeded essence, but I actually partially reject that anything has essence at all. When we consider something in itself, we merely consider it ideally. The ideal existent doesn't actually exist "out there" somehow.

My point is that you shouldn't attempt to choose to become nothing. That would be an impoverished interpretation of Sartre, but it is a possible one.

I actually feel kind of bad about how hard I come down on Nihilism as well. I was sort of influenced by Nihilist Communism and feel like I, perhaps, haven't given the philosophy its due regard. I do think that it's just grossly misguided, though. I kind of use "Nihilism" to refer to a philosophical complex that manifests itself as a pathology. It's somewhat unfair for me to do so, but Nihilism also kind of just is that.
  • thewonder

I'm also staving off having to call myself a "Post-Nihilist" which, given the choice between the two, I think that I would choose Neo-Existentialism even though it's like a sweet-looking suped up moped.
  • TheMadFool
    My point is that you shouldn't attempt to choose to become nothing. That would be an impoverished interpretation of Sartre, but it is a possible one.thewonder

I see. That's what I was trying to say too but either Sartre had reasons for not stepping into the abyss or it was simply a matter of choice.

If the former then wouldn't that be a self-contradiction of som kind. After all having reasons to avoid a conclusion must involve negating some/all the premises that led us to that point.

If the latter then Sartre's nothingness is like walking to the edge of a cliff simply so that we can have the satisfaction of not jumping off. Why walk to the edge in the first place?
  • thewonder

In your metaphor, you gave over the cliff to see the sea or something. All of experience requires a certain amount of danger. You've gotta test it all out.

To parcel this out a bit, Sartre never really talked about The Abyss. He just went on about The Void. He never explicitly referred to The Void as such. Those concepts are moreso the workings of my own imagination.

Sartre and I both feel like everything is a matter of choice. Nothingness isn't quite as negative as I think you're assuming that it is. For Sartre, it's exceptionally liberatory. I only partially agree with him which is what I have tried to explain here.

As a further aside to myself, it should be "Neoexistentialism".

In case anyone was wondering as to how it's like a suped-up moped: It seems super cool until you start it up and crash into a bunch of tables and patrons outside of a Parisian café.
  • thewonder
    Thanks for reading this everyone. You have convinced me to post this on my blog, I think. I'll be leaving for a couple of months, and, so, I'll see you then, I guess.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.