• Shawn
    Everyone's heard about identity formation, right?

Well, I've tried it, and it doesn't work. Has it for you?

I feel like identity formation is slapping on shit on top on preexisting shit to get a more perfect version of... shit.

Now, everyone is not so self-hating, as I am. But, I took a different route some years ago, which has resulted in delving into Buddhist thought of self-denial or self minimization, and this wasn't quite getting the results I was hoping for.

I took a more radical solution recently. I decided to actually destroy or disidentify with everything I am. This process can take a lifetime if one isn't entirely adamant on destroying identities (or mental profiles) of people whom one cares for or doesn't really give a shit about.

But, then I realized, if the self is the common denominator, then why not just destroy one's self (figurately). As in the total annihilation of one's conception of what one identifies as not is.

And, this has resulted in what someone might call the complete renewal of one's self. In terms, of not overcoming, delving deeper within, or such Nietszscian... stuff... but, rather starting anew.

Someone might chime in and say that this is pretty radical stuff (destroy destroy destroy); but, I feel as though, through the process I still value the people I care for, as this is a deeper layer than one's identity, rather interdependent identity that can't be figurately wished or criminally done away with.

What are your thoughts about all this psychobabble distilled as best I can?

Psychosis?
  • I like sushi
    Never heard of ‘identity formation’? I do know Jung’s ‘Individuation’ though. Perhaps you could look into that? Jung was pretty ahead of his time and very insightful (ignore the new age label some like to slap on him though!)
  • Shawn

I'll get back to you soon. Im feeling a bit manic and need some much needed sleep. But, please feel free to ask whatever questions you have in regards to the OP and I'll try my best to get back to you pronto.

Cheers.
  • I like sushi
    I don’t really have any questions. You seem to be the one asking right?

I just googled the term and ‘individuation’ is apparently a ‘type’ of ‘identity formation’. I’m not familiar with the latter term so you can expand on it if you want to.

As for Jungian psychology what is probably the most prominent point is the Shadow. I would rightly recommend reading Archetypes and The Collective Unconscious for further insight into what this process is all about.

I would add that whatever you need is dependent upon what kind of personality you have. I’m a big introvert (most are ambiverts). Jung appeals to many people, but I’d say especially to people leaning more toward the ‘introvert’ side. If you’re an leaning hard to ‘extrovert’ then that may be a problem. First place to start would be with a simple personality test (OCEAN not the make-belief Mills-Briggs voodoo). From there you can at least begin to gauge what is going on - if you’re able to be honest enough with yourself (an extremely difficult task; more so than people are willing to believe!).

Jung certainly paid close attention to Nietzsche’s work. If Nietzsche’s stuff strikes a cord with you then Jung should too. Nietzsche is easily misinterpreted though. It helped me a great deal by starting with his first work and getting a better grasp of Aristotle and Plato to understand that first work - things like Beyond Good and Evil take on a new meaning when you see where he was coming from.

Also, perhaps you remember me relating the buddhist ‘attitude’ as mirroring the nihilistic ‘attitude’? I can talk readily about that as it is my own observation/theory of the psychological factors involved. They both possess at attitude of ‘denial of self’ for sure - I find the darker one a little more ‘honest’, but potentially just as dangerous. If you look into ancient Greek history and ‘poetry’ competitions you’ll certainly spot what Nietzsche was referring to regarding the Apolline and Dionysian attitudes - reflected in Jungian psychology especially (and psychology and politics in general - the good ol’ Order and Chaos, Ying and Yang, or Barong and Rangda business).

My personal focus has currently shifted to more artistic and mathematical areas so I’m not exactly overly willing to jump into this too deeply tbh.

Anyway, if you come across any papers or studies I’d love to see them.
  • NOS4A2

I think it’s a good idea to get back to basics in terms of identity because, as you imply, we sometimes adopt perhaps unnecessary identities over time. These can becomes superfluous at best, and cause for tribalism at worst.

I always like to go back to my first identity, my name, and try to remain there for as long as possible. It doesn’t imply some allegiance or membership in a group, but to a single individual.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment