• Soap Needswater
    Seeking a little assistance here. I am neck deep in Heidegger, Benjamin and so forth, in my research for a paper. Heidegger is giving me a headache. Can anyone point me to a good (meaning clear and concise) explanation or discussion of what the difference is between a thing and a tool? I get the differences between a thing and an object, al la heidegger (we have to remain within that time period)... but if a thing is participatory, how is a tool differentiated? What makes a thing not a tool? I just cannot find any relevant discussion that isn’t just reguritating Heidegger, and repeating the vague bits in the same way!
  • Streetlight
    Maybe take a look at Graham Harman's Tool Being, if you can get your hands on a copy.
  • I like sushi
    I’ll repost my reply again then ... I say if you cannot find a constructive argument then say so in whatever you are working on.

Hopefully this response won’t be deleted too ...
  • Soap Needswater
    Ty for the replies! I will definitely look into Harman... if he post dates Heidegger I can find some way to reference the concepts. And I can say that there wasn’t a clear discussion of his ideas differentiating the two... but I would expect that to be challenged. If it isn’t clear it would be my job to make the best case argument based on what does exist.
  • Terrapin Station

Did you try the Stanford encyclopedia? For example, this section of the Heidegger article might be helpful to you: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heidegger/#ModEnc
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.