• Mac
    solid hahaha
  • creativesoul
    So for a real-world example, let us say that I become homeless and need help to get back on my feet. Let's also assume that all state/fed social safety nets that might once have helped me out have been dismantled by the Godfearing Trump administration and that my only salvation can be found in religious social programs. Having benefited from their help, I'm compelled to convert to conservativism and henceforth use my voting power to further the conservative agenda, as well as generously donate to the church.

Is that about how it's supposed to work?
    praxis

I'm not sure if it is all supposed to work that way... that would require a tremendous amount of forethought as well as preceding action taken in step by step fashion...

Perhaps you're overestimating those who seek to end public assistance programs.

However, I'm sure that the scenario you've put forth most certainly happens to some people, by chance. However, I'm absolutely certain that there are quite a few folk who call themselves "Christian" in the US that are disgusted with much of Trump's behaviour.
  • TheYoungPhilosopher
    Stoicism is made so much easier to follow when you believe in a religion. Stoicism then complements religion and adds context to a way of life. I’ve found that it’s actually easy to live when I believe in God and an afterlife.
  • Seif Boulos
    I believe understanding stoicism could lead to many practical benefits. It allows you to remember that there is much you cannot control in life and there is no reason to worry about those things since they are outside of your control. It is also a reminder that whatever hardship and suffering you may experience, which you are surely going to experience, you will be able to survive and get through. Instead of focusing on alleviating your suffering in life stoicism advises that you should instead focus on acting virtuously. To the extent that you are able to do that then you may be satisfied with yourself for any unfortunate events that occur happened in spite of doing the right thing. Therefore there is no reason to be angry with yourself or the world. Stoicism also advises that one should only be concerned with their intentions and not the results of their action. For example if you had the right intention but it still brought about negative effects then you should not be dissatisfied for what else could you have done. Though this philosophy only works if one does have the right intention and does in fact do all that they can. I have personally found stoicism to be a practical and beneficial philosophy in my life.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet