• Shawn
    This thread is sort of a rehash of some of my old topics asking whether Wittgenstein was sincere about academic philosophy. Strangely, it is my favorite philosopher who has dissuaded me to some extent from delving into philosophy academically.

For those who don't get what I'm on about, Wittgenstein was pretty much against treating philosophy as an academic enterprise. Extrapolating, he thought that philosophy ought to have been treated as a byproduct of linguistic confusion. From my readings, Wittgenstein never explicitly attacked academic philosophy; but, rather thought of it redundant had someone followed in his steps.

There is a strange set of circumstances or tension that arise here. If one were to treat philosophy as an endeavor arising from existential concerns, then the logical solution is to apply psychology towards these disquietudes, that bother an individual. On the other hand, analytic philosophy is completely demolished under this set of assumptions about the "true" nature of philosophy. I suppose, it is worth mentioning, that Wittgenstein was an analytic philosopher (perhaps until the Investigations), who climbed out of his own tradition (through the philosophy of logic and mathematics) and set philosophy upright in treating it as highly personal and existential.

So, then what becomes of "philosophy" upon a resolute reading of Wittgenstein's conception of what philosophy "is"?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment