• waechter418
    The way mind processes data reflects in its offspring, the computer.
    However, the coordination capabilities of latter improve continuously, whereas mind seems to have problems handling the increase of external & internal, objective & subjective data.
    More often than not, this is blamed on its hardware, i.e. the physiological aspects, yet rarely on the programs that coordinate the data, despite that many of them are obviously outdated, inefficient, hijacked by emotions and/or malwares which question the capabilities and sometimes even deny the functions of mind, thus impeding the possibility to repair & update its software.
    But to alter something requires knowledge and understanding of its structures and dynamics – in this case of the mind. Lamentably, the mind of Sapiens knows more about molecules and galaxies than about itself. Not because Self-knowledge is an impossible task – after all everyone spends a lifetime with/in his/her mind – but because of millennia of systematic self-denial and subjection to external, superior, eternal etc powers called god, fate and whatever else seems suitable to cover up a lack of Self-responsibility.
    Admittedly, Self-response-ability can be a pain in the butt – yet it can also be a blessing, as it may entail the realisation that all (external/internal/subjective/objective) phenomenon are interrelated - and coordinated by/in the mind.
  • uncanni
    I see this as primarily a psychological issue because humans have such intense emotional cathexes to their own beliefs and behaviors. It seems to be nearly impossible for the majority of people to self-reflect or self-examine, to take stock of their own behavior and to seek "healthier" was of dealing with the inner world of the mind/emotions and the external world. Hence, humans are so destructive and self-destructive.

Freud went a goodly ways in describing the workings of the mind, but our egos are often too fragile, or we don't believe we need to change, or our rationalizations are so perfectly crafted that nothing can penetrate them.

Perhaps I just described human nature...???
  • NOS4A2

I think the computational theory of mind is the problem because it mostly leaves out the body, reducing the mind to the brain and nervous system. This leads to all sorts of weird thought experiments like zombies and brains in vats.
  • waechter418
    The reflection/projection capability of mind is the cause of many of its controversies – and their solution as well, as it can bring about a self-awareness that supersedes subjective/objective, internal/external, me/you dualism and respective mirror-labyrinths.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.