• frank
    :up:

I agree about Trump. What I've mainly learned by way of him is the readiness with which some of my neighbors can rally round a guy who puts out dictatorial vibes.

There's just no chaos, anxiety, and starvation to propel a dictator into power right now.
  • Janus
    I'd set things up so that you can do the job you want to do, on whatever hours you want to do it, with whatever time off, simply because that's what you want to do.Terrapin Station

I won't be taking any flights, going to the doctor, or engaging pretty much anyone's services,in your world.

As to democracy; I don't think we have it, we have a simulacrum. Our familiar so-called "liberal democracy" is not going to work in the times to come. Prepare yourself for ever-increasing social control and erosion of so-called "rights".
  • BC
    There's just no chaos, anxiety, and starvation to propel a dictator into power right now.frank

For which we can be very grateful. But... maybe later.
  • Shamshir
    I won't be taking any flights, going to the doctor, or engaging pretty much anyone's services,in your world.Janus
    Do you mean that in regard to the possible inconsistency in working hours?
  • Terrapin Station
    I won't be taking any flights, going to the doctor, or engaging pretty much anyone's services,in your world.Janus

You'd be free to make those choices.
  • Janus
    I didn't have that in mind; I was thinking of the incompetences that might result from people changing jobs willy nilly. But if working hours were not regulated people might work longer than advisable, leading to incompetence due to over-tiredness. If everyone does what they want, and given that most people are unthinking idiots, then it would be a world run by idiots.
  • Janus
    You'd be free to make those choices.Terrapin Station

Yes I would, and yes I am; so where would be the advantage in your world?
  • Janus
    Trump is an asshole but he's too self-absorbed to make a good dictator.Bitter Crank

:up: :lol:
  • Terrapin Station
    Yes I would, and yes I am; so where would be the advantage in your world?Janus

No one would be homeless, hungry, without medical care, without the education they want, unemployed (and at jobs they want), etc. You'd be able to take whatever time off you want to take off. You'd be able to consensually do whatever you want to consensually do, etc.
  • frank
    For which we can be very grateful. But... maybe later.Bitter Crank

Yep. The other issue: to what extent does the US accept dictatorships as manifest in alliances.

Wasn't there a time when the world was divided up into good guys and the evil communist dictatorships?

After multiple middle eastern shit shows, does the US now accept the need of some people of firm and ruthless rule?
  • Janus
    Sounds great, do you think it would be practicable?
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.