• Deleteduserrc
    I hadn't been following the saga but my friend got me into it. If you've missed it, here's the play by play.

And here's the (in)famous youtube video he posted:

Something about this video got me. It gave me a weird feeling and I wanted to break it down.

First Aspect The vibe is Terence Malick, pure wonder, lots of wide big shots upward, a man walking around. So obviously severely narcissistic but also a narcissism that opens out into some vaguely defined bigger space (since this is on youtube, the bigger space is the public, at least in part, but more than anything its the 'spectacle', in the dusty marxist sense, of the big popular scene that everyone's attention is fixed on at the expense of actual power relations, economic relations). Which is exactly where all this is happening so its not totally narcissistic delusion, he is in it but still that level of being in it has got to wreak havoc on any but the most equanimous soul. So thats the first aspect. And it would align aesthetically with say a Nike commercial only theres a twist if that aesthetic is used autobiographically rather than in praise of someone else.

Second Aspect The actual audioclips of conversations he's had with the coach is weird in two ways. One is also narcissistic. He's triangulating conversations so the emotional impact of the heart to heart is closed off in advance. If you're thinking how you can use a conversation in terms of a bigger thing, you're dangerously self-isolating. More on that in aspect 3. But the second effect of the clips goes against the grain of the grand Terence Malick Nike commercial thing and undermines the spectacle aspect by injecting the more grainy invisible conversations and cajolings and coercions that sustain it. He's effectively rejecting the distinction which is in line with the current trend toward veil-lifting and exposing the incompetence, callousness and venality of experts, directors, everyone. This happened with wrestling back with a wrestler who's name I can't remember and led directly to the thing where Vince Mcmahon is a character in WWE.

Third Aspect Psychoanalyzing. based on a tweet he'd posted about how people thrust out from the warmth of community, burn down the community to get that warmth. Based on that and his comment to the coach about wanting to be a raider vs others wanting him to be a raider -he seems like he has deep problems with inclusion, sensing the threat of eventual exclusion, and id guess that maybe his diva shit is less an expression of superiority than testing boundaries. Like analogically: if you're of a certain temperament and you're scared your partner is going to leave you, you (consciously or unconsciously) do things that would cause that to happen. The idea being if they don't leave you, they're trustworthy. if they do leave you, they confirm what you knew, which makes you feel safer for being wise enough to have seen it in advance (even tho you are the one supplying the reason.) only, if you're of that temperament, you will never be fully satisfied, so you'll keep testing. And maybe even be sincerely confused and righteous when you get pushback. Sharing the coach's decontextualized conversations is pretty similar to sending cut-out segments of text convos where you leave out the way you incited, and say 'look what they said, i was right to stand up for myself, right?'

Fourth Aspect If there is a broader cultural current this taps into, it seems to be (1) believing we are legendary individuals deserving the full Malick treatment (2) showing other people how were being betrayed by sinister forces who don't care about us justifying (3) this weird momentum toward an implied climax.... and there's something scary about this.

like if Antonio brown didn't have the talent and publicity and connection he did, is this in essence really that different than how a school shooter thinks? the difference of course is that Elliott Rodger didn't have a patriot deal waiting. However he did make self-aggrandizing videos and explicitly gave everyone one last chance to make it up to him and recognize him.
  • deletedusercb
    Interesting. I definitely agree about the Malick. Just wanted to throw in the homage to Mohammed Ali, when he begins to exercise in the pool Ali in pretended he trained boxing in a pool and that this made him even better. So, he's comparing himself to a legend, but also to a legend who was great at self-promotion. Someone who was actually creative in and of himself - not just someone who could hire a team to present him. So, one question is in alluding to Ali, is that a wink? Does he realize it could be taken as 'Hey, I'm just playing with this Malick stuff, like one of my heroes.' My guess is not, that he means this video flat, no irony, but I don't know the guy or whatever team pulled this video off.

like if Antonio brown didn't have the talent and publicity and connection he did, is this in essence really that different than how a school shooter thinks?csalisbury
    I suppose it could be so, but narcissism is the norm now, not just the aberration. We are supposed to pose and vogue and self-promote and self-brand via social media. He may not be narcissitic irl. And the shooter may not have been narcissitic either, just 'that's what you do, nowadays' You front. You pose. Self-righteous is probably going to be a facet of the rage that makes you go somewhere and shoot many people, but narcissism may be more a symptom of the times.
  • Hanover
    My take on the whole thing is: (1) society has elevated irrelevance to the point that the irrelevant have become objects of worship (all he does is catch footballs for God's sake), (2) he recognizes his worth and would rather use it to stroke his ego than to just earn a paycheck, (3) his coach would rather lose the player who will win him games than to humble himself to keep the player.

Unless it's my own kid on the field, I'm not interested in watching, and think it's weird to go watch stranger's kids play games.
  • 3017amen

One common thread seems to rear its ugly head with sports stars. Since society tends to enable sports talent, there is no learned coping skills.

When my nephew, a wrestling and football star, told me that in high school his study hall consisted of a big screen TV and a couch. And that was only provided for the sports stars. That's when I realized that , combined with the parents enabling is an unfortunate recipe for dysfunction....
  • Deleteduserrc
    My take on the whole thing is: (1) society has elevated irrelevance to the point that the irrelevant have become objects of worship (all he does is catch footballs for God's sake), (2) he recognizes his worth and would rather use it to stroke his ego than to just earn a paycheck, (3) his coach would rather lose the player who will win him games than to humble himself to keep the player.

Unless it's my own kid on the field, I'm not interested in watching, and think it's weird to go watch stranger's kids play games.
    Hanover

But all musicians do is just modulate air- vibrations. Whatever sports are, I guess their relevance is how they tap into emotion. I'm not big on sports myself, but I attribute that to something analogous to being tone deaf (& maybe resentment at being picked last for a stretch)

But most importantly, whether he should be in the national spotlight or not seems less interesting than what happens when someone of a certain temperament and talent is aware of being in that spotlight and how it fucks with their head.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.