• Ariel D'Leon
    As human beings begin to develop, our need for references and data tend to expand with us. By now I’m sure we can agree that commonly a child will look on their parents or keeper to map their view of their surroundings and develop the corresponding schemas and accommodating basic concepts about the objects on their direct environment.

But at the same time as we become adults the process of accommodating new information never stops, an even better, it might be possible for us to rearrange the older schemas into newer and more developed ideas to navigate the world in a more accurate and assertive way.

One way of modifying the old pattern of conduct is to stop reaffirming the old belief by removing the source that references it and replacing it with a new one.

For example, if I periodically expose myself to the news on tv and register the next information “streets are dangerous” I might not entirely believe it at first glance and might consciously submit it to doubt, but It will remain registered as a memory on my mind. And when the time comes to evaluate a situation like going outside, I will subconsciously revisit that memory and feel predisposed to danger.

Remarking on this last point, bit by bit of information a person constructs his/her viewpoints about everything there is. So, going back to the initial question and taking the last points presented as assumptions. A great way to influence ourselves, and prompt future decisions, is to be as selective as possible with the sources and the quality of data we process on our daily routine.

Do you think is possible to adjust your information intake to influence yourself into a positive change?

Can you think of another important point that might be missing?
  • Sunnyside

Do you think is possible to adjust your information intake to influence yourself into a positive change?Ariel D'Leon
    People do this all the time when they decide what political authorities to follow.
    Can you think of another important point that might be missing?Ariel D'Leon
    It's critical to evaluate the perspectives of the people feeding you the news. There is no unbiased perspective but some are better than others.
  • Judaka

Something like "the streets are dangerous" isn't as much information as it is an interpretation and the way we interpret information or adopt interpretations is more significant than information.

A person might become very self-conscious about how they look in circumstances such as where they feel they don't fit in, they're surrounded by attractive people or near someone they like. Even people who are normally not at all self-conscious about their looks can become so under specific circumstances.

I also think emotion has a lot to do with it, a depressed person will naturally adopt negative interpretations about things and become attached to negative information. The opposite applies for a confident person.

So I don't know if extra "information" is making much of a difference to anyone but different interpretations about what things mean and what matters do. If you're watching MTV and they're telling you what's cool and trendy or if you're watching the news and they're making fun of the fashion and mannerisms of young people, that can make a difference to how you think and act.
  • Ariel D'Leon
    Something like "the streets are dangerous" isn't as much information as it is an interpretation and the way we interpret information or adopt interpretations is more significant than information.

A person might become very self-conscious about how they look in circumstances such as where they feel they don't fit in, they're surrounded by attractive people or near someone they like. Even people who are normally not at all self-conscious about their looks can become so under specific circumstances.

I also think emotion has a lot to do with it, a depressed person will naturally adopt negative interpretations about things and become attached to negative information. The opposite applies for a confident person.

So I don't know if extra "information" is making much of a difference to anyone but different interpretations about what things mean and what matters do. If you're watching MTV and they're telling you what's cool and trendy or if you're watching the news and they're making fun of the fashion and mannerisms of young people, that can make a difference to how you think and act.
    Judaka

Thank for the feedback Judaka i really appreciate it, that's right it is very much important to mention that is the interpretation you give the information, what ends up really affecting the individual,this i find very valuable to point out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.