• Shawn
    I am wondering about the mindset one ought be in while performing the contemplative aspect of philosophy. From my experience with philosophy it seems to me that being 'philosophical' or performing 'philosophy' one ought be in a introspective and meditative mindset away from distractions and externalities. For example, I find it easier to do philosophy when I am alone or secluded from other people. It becomes easier for me to, so to speak, to 'interrogate' my conscious about issues or present beliefs about people/the world/society.

Obviously, this differs from person to person; but, I am interested in what constitutes the proper mindset of philosophical contemplation. As a counter-example to my preference for doing philosophy, the Greeks spent extensive time talking with one another about 'philosophy'. However their work on philosophy was by large a work focused on social issues and such.

I've also noticed a tendency that arises in my mind. For example, when I become less depressed and withdrawn from society or other people I tend to not ruminate as much about issues and beliefs that beg my attention.

Interested in any input on the matter.
  • wuliheron
    Different schools of thought emphasis different things. Since your avatar is Wittgenstein I'd recommend contemplating the metaphoric language of nature in something like the Tao Te Ching or I-Ching. You can buy books like 360 Tao or whatever that will even provide different interesting things to contemplate for every day. Words only having meaning in specific contexts lending everything a more recursive metaphorical flavor that can sometimes make a serious difference. In Asia they spit out metaphors and hang them all over the walls sometimes just messing with each others heads. Anything you like that is seriously metaphorical is a good start and the idea is just to not let yourself get stale and try to keep engaged in the subject. :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.