• Maureen
    I have been to Christian churches of all different denominations, including a Mormon church (which ironically had a black president, but I won't go there), and while I will admit that there are differences in the things that particular churches do outside of the main Sunday service, in my opinion these things are merely a formality and are adhered to purely for the sake of it and not because the church could not otherwise function like any other church, regardless of its denomination or lack thereof. If there is any evidence of this, it is perhaps the fact that pretty much every church that I have attended has had the same or similar messages and talked about similar things during the Sunday service, and really the only difference was in things that they did either during or outside of the service that perhaps a different denomination may or may not do in the same respect. But like I said, when you take away the extras, I believe you will find that all Christian churches are more or less exactly the same. Moreover, I feel as if any Christian of a particular denomination would have to be pretty conservative and stubborn to say they are attending a particular church solely because it does certain things that another denomination does not do, when the differences are often too subtle to be taken incredibly seriously. I feel like a non-denominational church understands this sentiment, and therefore they act as a middle man and provide a gray area for those who are neutral and don't want to seem biased to a particular denomination. I also feel like they have created a vulnerability in doing this, as they have allowed people not to be partial to a particular denomination, whereas in the past this may not have been possible. Still, the fact that there exists a non-denominational church is in my opinion an attempt to bring forth the concept of people forming their own opinions as opposed to having to adhere to societal norms. So basically I just wonder if non-denominational churches exist on behalf of people who don't want to adhere to the rules or concepts of a particular denomination, but who would instead rather be completely free of any of these rules. I feel as if this is a good thing to have available, but I also wonder if the other denominations feel as if it undermines their efforts or makes them seem to "strict" for lack of a better word. Personally I have never felt this way as part of any church except for the Mormon church which I subsequently stopped attending, but like it or not these churches still have a particular concept and a set of rules which non-denominational churches more or less do not have.
  • Maureen
    I might also add that in my experience, most people who are not devoutly religious do not attend a church of a particular denomination for any reason other than because their family or friends adheres to that denomination and attends a particular church. This pretty much eliminates the idea that anyone is truly fond of a particular denomination over another, but have merely been indoctrinated into a church of that denomination without knowing any different or being given a choice. My mother-in-law would be a good example of this because she was raised catholic, attended a catholic church, and now continues to adhere to catholic concepts such as giving things up for Lent and celebrating Easter Sunday at church.
  • christian2017
    I feel like alot of Non Denominational churches should (not all but most) just call themselves United Methodist. I think alot of people find United Methodist to be boring or boring sounding so these Pastors start a non denominational church. Personally i like United Methodist to a strong degree. I do go to non denominational churches simply because i don't feel it necessary to worry about every single thing i disagree with a particular church. The way a church views tithes as well as resources and aptitudes for work is where a church will make me leave or stay.
  • PoeticUniverse
    Many churches are changing, lest they keep on evaporating as the more strict believers die off. They are saying such as "It's not about religion, but community…", but change is slow and they still mostly have the silliness of the Biblical God who has poor character.

Eventually…

The stodgy elevation of doctrine over ethics
    Will no longer carry the day, and there will be less
    Emphasis on believing, with more on belonging.
    All will become more democratic, with much singing.

The Bible will be seen to be of human construction,
    A result of human instinct, frailty, fear, and no wisdom;
    So people actively speaking to each other, with laughter,
    Will come to replace passive readings from scripture.

(In my church, all denominations are accepted: twenties, fifties, and hundred dollar bills.)
  • christian2017
    Many churches are changing, lest they keep on evaporating as the more strict believers die off. They are saying such as "It's not about religion, but community…", but change is slow and they still mostly have the silliness of the Biblical God who has poor character.

Eventually…

The stodgy elevation of doctrine over ethics
    Will no longer carry the day, and there will be less
    Emphasis on believing, with more on belonging.
    All will become more democratic, with much singing.

The Bible will be seen to be of human construction,
    A result of human instinct, frailty, fear, and no wisdom;
    So people actively speaking to each other, with laughter,
    Will come to replace passive readings from scripture.

(In my church, all denominations are accepted: twenties, fifties, and hundred dollar bills.)
    PoeticUniverse

Sounds like your not a Christian. lol Please don't reply with the typical response "and proud of it". Try to make your response not sound like it was copy pasted from some other Atheist on some other philosophy forum. Readers enjoy comedy and originality. :)
  • PoeticUniverse
    Sounds like your not a Christian. lol Please don't reply with the typical response "and proud of it". Try to make your response not sound like it was copy pasted from some other Atheist on some other philosophy forum. Readers enjoy comedy and originality.christian2017

No, I'm not a Christian, but kind of an honorary one, since I take someone to the Vineyard Church and go to their events. I don't attend the services. All posted poems are my own, and I would attribute when they aren't. Don't worry about your thinking otherwise. The denomination joke is common, though, and not mine, as a nod to churches needing money, too, to survive.
  • christian2017

thats fair. Personally i think for relatively younger people, outdoor churches are the answer in order to save money. Most church messages are trite and repetitive so if we miss a church service due to it being rained out, i don't see any harm in that.
  • Old Brian
    So what's your thought on why there are denominations in the first place?
    And the separate question, what is a church?

I remember as a child growing up in the south and in a church that felt like home. Things changed when I was assigned outside the country, came home and got married, and lived for many years in foreign places, then spent a decade in developing countries. We met many thoughtful believers along the way.
    The simplistic theology of my youth was disassembled and reassembled many times, and my wife similarly had her belief system broken down to reality. While our faith was perhaps rattled from time to time, we were never left alone, even in the dark times.

In the end after decades, we're still serious believers and untroubled by the differences among denominations. :)

The helpful folks with whom we've crossed paths are perhaps a bit more clearly focused on the actual reason for being together.
  • BC
    pretty much every church that I have attended has had the same or similar messages and talked about similar things during the Sunday serviceMaureen

Seems reasonable, since the thrust of "The Church" from the get-go was to preach the Gospel of salvation. All Christian churches share the same foundation document (NT).

I have nothing against the Mormons, but they are beyond "denomination" and head into heresy and new religion. Their peculiar set of beliefs place them outside Christian theology. That said, they do a fine job of missionary work, they have numerous healthy social practices, and, of course, their great choir in Salt Lake City, the Mormon Tabernacle Cheese Press (as one sarcastic guy called it).

The Church (all of them) are continuing to decline, and religion is continuing to evolve and devolve. There is perfectly normal, and we should not lament it.

What is lamentable is the extent to which real estate concerns drive the church. Lots of institutions the world over have edifice complexes, and that is certainly true in the United States. I love a nicely done building, but for churches, the needs of the building drive the program of the church. Keeping the thing up takes so much money (the roof, the heating/ac system, drainage and leakage problems, repainting, the mortgage, etc.). Then there is well paid staff, office equipment, healthcare plans, and so forth. After all that, the churches do not have enough money left over for the corporal works of mercy, to do much about feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, visiting those in prison clothing the naked, teaching the untaught, and so on--which should be their primary concern.

As for WHY there are so many denominations, it's because the US never had an established church, or law limiting the formation of churches--as still is the case in some European countries. The process of denomination formation (biologically speaking, its meiosis rather than mitosis) has kept the churches more vigorous in the US than in countries with established churches. That's my theory, anyway.
  • Fine Doubter
    In their publicity material it ought to state their brand name, affiliation, and governance arrangements. This is equivalent to their denomination.
    With time - if you're interested in it - it will emerge what this means in terms of their doctrines and practices. You are then free to evaluate those things as you please and relate at any level or no level, as you wish.
    Some of these are cageyer than others, about important issues.
    With a lifetime's practice, one develops a discernment capability!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.