• khaled
    One of the most aggravating things I learned reading about neurology/psychology is the fact that dopamine, the “want” chemical is different from the chemicals activating the pleasure center of your brain. In other words, what you want isn’t what’s good for you and what’s good for you isn’t what you want. There are cases of people who, despite experiencing pleasure doing certain activities never seek them out for lack of dopamine, or the more common reverse case, addiction, where one always wants something that he no longer finds rewarding. But you, as a rational being obviously want what’s good for you. This is a problem I have with the word “want” in general, it refers to both what you want in terms of what causes your brain to release dopamine and what you want as a rational thinker, mainly what’s good for you.

I think there needs to be a split here between these to types of want. I’ll call the former (dopamine induced) what you “want” and the latter (deduced by reason) “want to want”. I think this distinction needs to be used more regularly on everyday language because these different “orders” of wants are treated very differently. People generally treat things you “want to want” with much more respect than things you want. Ex: people always see curing addictions as a good thing. The person addicted wants to continue the addictive behavior (or else he wouldn’t be addicted) but wants to want to get rid of it.
  • RegularGuy

I want to want to not be so lazy. I’m not sure I dopamine-induced want to be lazy. It’s just what I am. So, if I really knew what was good for me, then I wouldn’t even want to want to not be lazy. I’d want to want to be exactly what I am for my own mental health. Acceptance is key to mental health, I think. What do you think?
  • khaled
    I want to want to not be so lazyNoah Te Stroete

if I really knew what was good for me, then I wouldn’t even want to want to not be lazyNoah Te Stroete

Wot. Are you saying people wouldn’t want to change who they are? I’m not chastising you or anything, it’s just that all the people I know have this one habit they want to kick or one they want to start. I don’t get how you could want to want to change but also say you wouldn’t want to change
  • RegularGuy
    Wot. Are you saying people wouldn’t want to change who they are? I’m not chastising you or anything, it’s just that all the people I know have this one habit they want to kick or one they want to start. I don’t get how you could want to want to change but also say you wouldn’t want to changekhaled

Because I believe people usually want to change from outside pressures, the Other looking down on the Self for some perceived shortcoming. Or, the Self with low esteem wanting what others have or do. Accepting oneself for things one cannot change is healthy. I like doing philosophy and yard work. I am otherwise lazy and others look down on me for it. At one time I was feeling pretty low about myself for being low energy. I know it is because my medications slow me down significantly, but I need my medications or I wouldn’t be able to live in society. I cannot change my low energy, so now I accept it instead of beating myself up over it. I wish I weren’t low energy in that I wish my medications didn’t slow me down significantly, but I choose to accept my limitations instead of feeling bad about it. Everyone does what they do and are what they are for very good reasons only known to them. Instead of trying to live up to others’ expectations, we should all give ourselves a break.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.